SandForce 2 SSD failures and recalls

Post Date: 2011-06-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: SandForce 2 SSD failures and recalls
    Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 3:25am
Thanks to this www.XtremeSystems.org thread for the information.

http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/14078-extra-problem-med-sandforce-2-aterkallelse-i-sikte

(Translated link)

With Intel's chipsets feldesignade for Sandy Bridge in recent memory, it looks like the computer world suffers another serious case of defective components. This time, the SSDs with the control circuits from the series Sand Force 2 who are in the spotlight after numerous reports of failing units.

Users in particular SweClockers forum talks about Sand Force 2-based storage devices that suddenly stop working. Symptoms vary from Bluescreens in Windows that the device no longer detected by BIOS. The common denominator is that there seems to be no apparent solution to the problem.

Now, say sources SweClockers that SSDs with Sand Force 2 sold topped and it can speak of a total withdrawal of all the models. Possible candidates are Corsair and OCZ Force 3 Vertex 3, but exactly which units these are is still unknown.

The news updated as more details become known.

11:45

• Corsair Force 3120 GB sold topped the Swedish stores. (The only Corsair unit delivered in large volumes)

13:46

• As it stands now is the Corsair Force 3120 GB which is withdrawn. OCZ "working with Sand Force" to correct similar problems with Vertex 3 of the firmware.

16:16

• To clarify: OCZ withdraws no SSDs.

20:27

• That's it. Corsair withdraws Force 3 of size 120 GB. Read more .
  • OCZ announces that its SSDs not affected by the problem. What has become of the other manufacturers with Sand Force 2-based models are not yet known.

23:17

• OCZ publishes a statement about Vertex 3 and Agility 3rd Read more .
Corsair recall

Over the past several days, we have analyzed issues associated with the stability of our recently released 120GB Force Series 3 SSD. Our review has identified that a significant percentage of these drive do not perform to specifications. The solution will require changes to both the SSD firmware and the hardware components of the SSD itself.

We have stopped shipments of the affected drive, Corsair part number CSSD-F120GB3-BK, effective immediately and have implemented the following remediation plan:

(1) ALL users should cease using the CSSD-F120GBG3-BK drive immediately, even if you have not experienced issues of stability.

(2) Users may then either RETURN the drive to Corsair, at Corsair's expense, to be exchanged with a replacement drive that does meet specifications OR

(3) Return the drive to their place of purchase.

Corsair is committed to product quality and we want to assure our customers that this remediation plan will be implemented at no cost to you.

To return your Force Series 3 120GB SSD to Corsair, contact Corsair to ARRANGE YOUR REPLACEMENT . Corsair will pay for shipping your drive back to Corsair and will replace your drive free of charge. Estimated turnaround time is ten business days.

OCZ statement

OCZ is aware of firmware issues that have been reported in the field that are potentially causing bluescreens on all SF2000 based drives, this issue affects a very small percentage of Vertex 3 and Agility 3 SSDs, and currently less than 1% of all our customers are affected. This hard to replicate issue is a completely different issue than what some other drive manufacturers are experiencing, which may have similar symptoms but is caused by a hardware issue. Unlike other brands OCZ does not use a reference design, and we design and manufacture our SSDs in-house, and are NOT affected by the hardware problems which are unique to other drive vendors.

OCZ is working diligently with our customers and SandForce to quickly resolve the outstanding firmware issues and we will be releasing a firmware update that addresses the bluescreen issue as soon as it becomes available. In the meantime we encourage any customers that are experiencing any bluescreen issues to contact our customer service team for immediate support.

When we tell you to get Intel SSDs and avoid SandForce SSDs, this is the kind of thing we're talking about, though there are many more reasons. I just wanted to share so people get an idea of one of the many reasons Intel SSDs are considered much more reliable.

Originally posted by Sentential

Step 1: Intel extends warrenty to 5 years
Step 2: Sandforce goes tits up
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit!

Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
ironmb View Drop Down

Quote ironmb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 3:30am

That extra 30$ you pay for intel SSD's has a track record behind it :P. Good read.

bishamon View Drop Down

Quote bishamon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 8:09am
Yay for getting the 320!
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 7:38pm
Yes.

This makes me very happy knowing the research I did was time well spent. Intel 320 160gb and will never look back.
rholyrag View Drop Down

Quote rholyrag Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 6:25pm
Nice read.  Thanks for the info Dragoonseal.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity" - Maximus from Gladiator
pulsedrive View Drop Down

Quote pulsedrive Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 3:53pm
I hate to hijack this thread, but why is there such a huge difference in performance between the Intel SSDs and everyone else.  Is it just that Intel is using "sustained read/write" and everyone else is using "max" ?

After doing some more research, it appears I was correct in my first assesment, Intel just lags horribly behind on speed.  OCZ's Vertex 3s push almost twice the amount of data as the Intel's.  I get the Intel's are supposed to have a REALLY low failure rate, but I am not seeing a high failure rate when searching around for OCZ and their prices/performance FAR outshine Intel. 

Edited by pulsedrive - 16 Jun 2011 at 10:09am
kenny0709 View Drop Down

Quote kenny0709 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 12:36pm
Good read! Thank you
Isabella8688 View Drop Down

Quote Isabella8688 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 3:02am

Thank you so much for the post.

Edited by Isabella8688 - 30 Mar 2012 at 3:02am
darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 11:28am
question:

So is the 520 SSD intel a sandforce from what i heard?

if that is the case, am I screwed then? might as well get the corsair one cheaper?
dodgers2213 View Drop Down

Quote dodgers2213 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 10:47am
this is an old thread, i assume there is nothign wrong with the Intel 520 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 10:52am
Intel 520 from all I've heard is great. 

Edited by bprat22 - 01 Apr 2012 at 10:57am
Kael View Drop Down

Quote Kael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 1:04pm
 From what everyone is saying the main issue with Sandforce is gone because of Intel's specific firmware, it may be a tiny bit slower but the reliability and warranty more than makes up for it.
jacob374 View Drop Down

Quote jacob374 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 8:37am

That extra 30$ you pay for intel SSD's has a track record behind it :P. Good read.

http://www.nyu.edu/

Edited by jacob374 - 08 Aug 2014 at 4:03am
 Post Reply Post Reply