FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Searching for PC Games

Post Date: 2020-01-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
the tower View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote the tower Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Searching for PC Games
    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 10:01am
I've played "Pong", a barbarically primitive game on the market when "monitors" were cathode ray televisions.
 So technically I've been gaming for a half century.

I'm not interested in First Person Shooter games, or children's games with unicorns.

I'm open-minded about trying a well written, well executed current technology computer game, perhaps one that's thought provoking, or educational.

Any suggestions?

Idea
"The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is."                 Mary Pettibone Poole
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 12:19pm
I played Atari Pong on my black and white TV by hooking the leads to the antennae and turning the TV to channel 3... yea, there is quite the contingent of folks who are on the north end of their 50s and 60s...

As for games that make you "Think"... I can get a couple off the top of my head. A little dated but well worth the trouble to find is "Myst" and the sequels... another is Space Engine if you're interested at all in exploring outside our earthly home (Can't forget to mention Elite:Dangerous in there, too)...

But for pure strategy you'll need to look at what's called "4X games". (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X) of which Civilization reigns supreme IMHO.

For action/adventure there are the titans of today... Skyrim, Fallout (Vegas, 3 and 4 ... NEVER Fallout 76) etc.

Really depends on what you like. I would recommend watching walkthroughs on YouTube before getting out the VISA and whatnot.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 12:25pm
I just remember the most fun Id had at a "Thinking game". Check out "Talos Principal". That was quite enjoyable and not one unicorn in sight.   
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 2:59pm
I agree with all of Snaike's suggestions, while you aren't interested in FPS games, I think you may very well like the modern (not 76) Fallout series. They look like a FPS game on the surface, but they're actually much deeper (and aren't multiplayer fragfests like CoD, etc.). I'd probably recommend starting with 4 just because it's going to be the easiest to get up and going these days, though if you like 4, then New Vegas is definitely worth playing (and is arguably a better game despite its age). 3 is good too, but can be a real PITA to get to run properly on Windows 10. 

Without knowing much more about your preferences I'll just throw out a few more suggestions that don't fall into the FPS or Unicorns category:

- Age of Empires series (good time to get into this with all the HD remakes going on)
- Don't Starve (probably Don't Starve Together these days)
- Everything (that's the name of the game, not literally everything, haha)
- The Long Dark
- Shadow of Mordor & Shadow of War
- Plague Inc. Evolved
- Rock of Ages I & II
- Space Engineers
- Super Amazing Wagon Adventure (a hilarious take on Oregon Trail, also very cheap)
- This War of Mine
- The Total War series (mostly Rome I, Medieval II, and Shogun 2)
- Bastion & Transistor
- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux
- The Witcher Series (1 is rough, so maybe start with 3 and see if you like it enough to go back and play 1 & 2)
- Abzû
- Assassin's Creed series (definitely start with the newer ones, I've played every single main game in the series and the older ones are rough around the edges these days)
- Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
- Firewatch
- Kholat (very weird but definitely thought provoking)
- Darkest Dungeon (brutally difficult to unfair at times, but has some cool Lovecraftian vibes to it)
- From Software/Souls series (perhaps start with Sekiro to see if you like their style at all)
- Portal 1 & 2 (look like a FPS, are definitely not a FPS insofar as one thinks of an FPS)
- MGS V (only really makes sense if you like the series or played earlier titles)
- Subnautica
- What Remains of Edith Finch (this is probably a love it or hate game depending on how much you can reconnect to your childhood imagination, but it's not a children's game)
- Monster Hunter World (+Iceborne)
- Prison Architect (if you like these sort of sim games)
- The Stanley Parable

Those are the ones that come to my head without looking anything up. I am sure there are many more worth playing. Big%20Smile

sTu View Drop Down

Quote sTu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 7:34pm
I suggest you consider Divinity Original Sin 2 (you will want access to the Definitive Edition. You are going to find that to play your game it will be via streaming off the internet. Original Sin 2 is a turn based strategic Role Playing Game where you manage four characters in a combat oriented game full of a rich story and challenging but not unfair puzzles. You can go wherever you want in the world. There are different difficulty options to help with how hard learning the game can be for new players to a modern RPG. Google the game and you can find walk-through, character selection help, tips etc.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

The Stanley Parable

GAME OF THE MILLENNIA!!! I have no idea how I missed this one. Must be due the effects of aging on my memory.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 5:23am
WOW! What great compendium of games from Tidgxor! I've been an avid gamer since 1985 (Starflight), and I don't have that eclectic a portfolio!   

The Total War games mentioned for sure. You strategize on the main map and then manage large tactical battles with your custom armies in a battlefield scenario. Your tactics may overcome weakness to win the day!

I am very fond of the Fallout series. There is a lot of combat but much can be avoided by stealthy tactics, and the story lines are very deep. Lots of game-altering choices.

The Witcher series is a fascinating fantasy mythos starring an outcast mutant who specializes in "monster hunting" for bounties, caught up in political intrigue. A fascinating role to play.

Since I like very much planning out tactical close combat, I absolutely LOVED Shadow Of Mordor. I look forward to Shadow of War like one might save that very special dessert for later.

Civilization is, indeed, the premier Strategy series. I literally have thousands of hours in the series. I've played since Civ I in 1990; they're now on Civ VI. It's extremely challenging on the higher levels. You must find the delicate balance for victory.

I'm enthusiastic about some of the suggestions. I think you've found a terrific answer!
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 6:48pm
@sTu I've heard very good things about Divinity Original Sin 2 and have a friend that raves about it. Haven't played it myself but it sounds like a very solid suggestion.

@Snaike, yes, part of why I presented it without comment is because I feel like it's best experienced with no prior knowledge of what you are getting yourself into. Big%20Smile

@Cretae, I agree with you (and Snaike) about Civ. I think that's one series where you don't even start to scratch the surface until you enter the triple digits of gameplay. LOL

Post Reply Post Reply