FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

See any issues on this build?

Post Date: 2015-10-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LDiablo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LDiablo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: See any issues on this build?
    Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 5:08pm
Budget:
Under $2400

Expectations:
I will underuse this computer, as I don't game as much as I used to, BUT, I do want to be able to play on my 1920x1080 single screen at full resolution on BF(x), COD/Black Ops type games. Upgrading from my i7 920 2.67Ghz system with 6GB RAM and a single NVidia GTX 760.

MY REQUEST OF YOU: See any uh-ohs or bottlenecks that I might avoid? I'm pretty happy with the value of this build but don't want to be shortsighted and miss something simple and affordable that would take performance up a level. I mean I'm not going 3X video cards or P-99. On video cards, I went dual 960s as I saw benchmarks where they hung with the 980 and on this build are about 100 bucks cheaper.

Usage:
In addition to gaming, I also will use it for handling my photography habit and Office document editing

Special Needs:
Crazy but I have to have the built-in card reader. The storage is not critical as I will be backing up with two off-board large hard drives mirroring my photos and personal data files.

Saved Ticket #: Configuration Code: 1302608
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,249.00

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA (750 B1)
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black) <br><strong></strong>
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB (Includes PhysX) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: Microsoft Office 2013 Home and Student (PC Attach Key PKC Only, No Pre-install) <br><strong></strong>
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Overclocking questions:
1. Looking at overclocking the processor, but not the gpu. Is that sane or stupid? Is one better than the other for OC?

2. My understanding is that overclocking voids hardware warranties. Does Digital Storm then pick up the warranty (at least one competitor I know of advertises that.)

Thanks,
Lance
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 3:05am
Hi LDiablo.... That's a nice build.   I would however opt for the single 980 over sli 960 even if it is $100 more.   A single strong card is better than 2 weaker cards in sli if frames are close. The 960 might have 4gb vram but it's narrower bandwidth makes them less effective than the same vram with wider bandwidth. For 1080p the gtx 970 will also give high to max gaming.   Plus, with a stronger single card now you have less sli compatibility concerns and can easily add another if ever needed for much better performance down the road. Just me.

I would get a 970. Even if you wanted more, skip the 980 which is only 15-20% better for lots more $ and go gtx 980ti.   The 980ti is more than you need for 1080p but gives longevity as games get more demanding or you up the monitor resolution.

The believe over locking does, technically, void warranty by Intel but not sure.   Unless you fry the chip by going crazy on voltage, there really isn't a way for Intel to know. It's stored on the mobo. DS does a safe, moderate overclock and has their own warranty for what they adjust.

Change Seagate HDD for Western Digital Black for another $19. More reliable with longer warranty.

If you change the psu for the other EVGA 750watt for $40 you get double the warranty and more efficient supply.

This all adds to the cost so it's a balancing act, cost vs quality.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 21 Oct 2015 at 6:28am
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 3:59pm
i concur with bprat.  buy the strongest single card you can afford.  a 970 will take care of most games at 1080p; however there are some (like Witcher 3) where a 980 is needed to have ALL settings maxed out.  a single 980ti covers all of your needs up to and including 1440p. 

as far as warranties are concerned:  some custom retail video card versions (like the Asus Strix) are factory over clocked and warrantied.  generally speaking, over clocking reference cards will void the warranty.  in the case of the Intel processors, the "K models" are unlocked for over clocking and you can purchase Intel's "tuning plan": http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/ for a single replacement to damage caused by a bad over clock. 

on the question of to over clock or not:  i've been more willing to oc my proc more so than my gpu over the years.  my 2500k has been mildly oc'd for 5 years and it's still running fine.   i personally wouldn't oc reference gpu.  that being said, i have 2x Asus Strix 980ti's going into my current build with DS.  custom cards like the Strix have upgraded, high-end, components/circuitry/power delivery/cooling that protect the investment in them even when they are voltage-tweaked. 

Edited by db188 - 21 Oct 2015 at 4:04pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
LDiablo View Drop Down

Quote LDiablo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 10:07am
Thank you both for the suggestions. Both worth considering and carry good explanations.

My last two machines, the power supply was definitely the Achilles heel, having replaced each one within a couple years. The configuration doesn't have the same level of specs for each component so it is difficult to understand the differences for the cost. I appreciate you helping add those levels of detail.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 2:26pm
no prob, that's what the DS community is here for: to discuss the merits of comp components and help people dial in their builds, so that they can enjoy their rig for years to come.  good luck with yoursBig%20Smile
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 2:37pm
db said it all.   Ditto.     Our pleasure.
 Post Reply Post Reply