Seeking partition advice in single OS system

Post Date: 2008-01-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Venture View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Venture Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Seeking partition advice in single OS system
    Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 5:01pm
The partition discussion I've seen here seems mostly to deal with dual boot operating systems.  I'm getting a system with Vista 64 bit, and, at least for now, the plan is to have only that OS.  I'm looking for advice as to how to best partition my drives (if at all) when my system arrives.

I have a 150 GB Raptor (10K RPM), and a 500 GB 7200 RPM drive.  I do some video editing (family videos, not professional), hence the large second drive.  Gaming and video editing will be my two main uses for this system.

For what it is worth, on my current rig (to be replaced by my DS rig when it arrives), I've just been using an external USB drive as my video capture drive, and have been putting all my Adobe Premiere project data on that drive.  The exception is some sound files that are stored on an internal drive (with "F" as its drive letter).  To copy the projects over to the new machine, I figure I can just plug in the USB drive and make sure the drive letter is mapped the same as on the old machine.  That will work for all but the sound files.  If I copy the sound files from the old machine onto a drive on the new system that is not labeled as the "F" drive, I suspect that Premiere will make me manually locate each sound file that a project calls for, the first time I open that project.  To avoid this, I was thinking about creating an "F" partition on the new system, so I could just copy the sound files over.  Then, all my drive letter assignments would match my old system.  (Does this make sense?)

Any thoughts on my (long-winded) plans, and suggestions for partitions if any?  Thanks!
780i MB
E6850 3.00GHz
8800GT 512MB
6GB Corsair 800MHz Dominator
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Duke View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 6:34pm
I would leave the 150GB drive as a whole to run the OS and any other apps, and even game installs. Then split the 500GB secondary drive into two 250GB partitions. That should give you C: D: and E: (F: and G: would goto optical drives). I do not know how Premier operates, but if anything like you stated, it would just ask you to locate where those files are.
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 11:18pm
I also have the same 150 + 500 Gig set up (plus another 500 Gig external) set up as follows:
  • C: 50 Gig for XP and applications like Word
  • D:100 Gig for games
  • E: 250 Gig Data
  • F: 250 Gig Video & Music

Frankly, I don't think it makes any difference for performance, but I like to keep the OS and "real" computer stuff isolated on it's own partition just for my own mental organization and for quicker defragmenting.

I also don't think you can avoid configuring all your newly reinstalled applications to tell them where their data is. None of that kind of structure is going to survive the move to the new machine.
3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 11:51pm
I would tweak Bill's setup, and place the swap files on their own logical drive.

40GB: OS
10GB: VRAM
100GB: Games

250GB: Data
250GB: Video/Music
Venture View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Venture Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 9:59am
Thanks for all the suggestions!  Quick question- is it a big deal to remap (i.e. re-letter) my 2 optical drives, if I do it before I start installing stuff?  I'd like to keep all my hard drives sequential.  Will that mess anything up?  I know if I do it AFTER I install certain games, that can cause problems for games that require the disc to be in the drive.  Any other issues I should be aware of?
780i MB
E6850 3.00GHz
8800GT 512MB
6GB Corsair 800MHz Dominator
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Duke View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 12:39pm
You will have no problems with game or other software not detecting the CDROM drive if the drive's letter has changed.   
 Post Reply Post Reply