FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sensible Upgrades to First Generation Bolt

Post Date: 2020-01-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jfox225 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jfox225 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Sensible Upgrades to First Generation Bolt
    Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 8:46am
I am hoping the enthusiasts here can offer some suggestions for possible upgrades to my first generation Bolt (built in 2013). I don't game nearly as much as I used to so a brand new system is not worth the cost right now but I'd still like to slowly work my way through more recent games (Shadow of War, Jedi Fallen Order) on better settings. My initial configuration is pasted below.

Will a simple GPU upgrade be sufficient here? I was thinking of a 1660 or 1660 Ti.

Do I need to worry about any other components failing that would make this investment not worthwhile? I'm most concerned about the HDD and CPU given their age (a new SSD to replace the HDD may be appropriate here). I should note that the CPU was never actually overclocked despite the configuration below.

Thank you all!

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Pre-built Digital Storm Bolt
Exterior Finish: Pearl White Matte Finish with Black Vents and Black Stand
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8H77-I (Intel H77 Chipset) (Mini-ITX)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 500W Gold Plus Series Digital Storm Certified BOLT Edition (Enhanced Quiet Operation)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (128GB Solid State (By: Samsung) (Model: 840 Pro Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital/Seagate (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: High Performance Cooler with Five Heatpipes
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 8:52am
I gave up my 770 for a 1070 a couple of years back and it is still going strong... also, RAM is relatively cheap right now so you might look into bumping it up.

The Smart Guys® will be along soon to help out... good luck!!
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 9:15am
I think you would be OK upgrading your GPU. I went searching for benchmarking videos using the i5 3570K. The biggest concern you would have is the CPU bottlenecking the GPU. From the following, I would conclude you could get decent performance at 1080p:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ck93tSGQE
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 12:31pm
Having replaced the GPU in my Gen 1 Bolt (due to failure, not choice Big%20Smile) I think it is definitely worth it. Not only are you going to benefit from a more robust GPU, you're most likely going to have a much quieter Bolt as it will stress the PSU less and that one rear PSU fan in the Gen 1 Bolt can really make some noise when it wants to. If you do decide to replace the GPU, I recommend finding that now comparatively ancient video of the GPU swap on the Gen 1 Bolt that DS made. Last I knew it was unlisted but if you decide to do it let me know and I'll see if I can find it in my needlessly vast library of bookmarks.

If you do decide to bump up the RAM, keep in mind that the Gen 1 Bolt has very low clearance for the RAM modules due to their placement essentially right under the CPU cooler. I can't advise you specifically on brands, but I'd definitely look for small form factor modules that are compatible with your setup.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 1:08pm
Agree.    The RTX 1660 Ti would be a reasonable GPU upgrade for that 7 yr old system that would work with your Bolts 500W PSU.   

Also agree with Tixdor that a DDR3 RAM upgrade to 16 GB would also be a good thing if you can find it.

The concern you had about parts wearing out is something we can’t avoid on older systems.   I still operate two DS systems older than your SFF Bolt...if they can still make you happy at the resolution you want, then drive on!    All you can do is to keep it updated, as cold as is possible, and as free of dust as you can.     
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 5:07am
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

Agree.    The RTX 1660 Ti would be a reasonable GPU upgrade for that 7 yr old system that would work with your Bolts 500W PSU.   

Also agree with Tixdor that a DDR3 RAM upgrade to 16 GB would also be a good thing if you can find it.

The concern you had about parts wearing out is something we can’t avoid on older systems.   I still operate two DS systems older than your SFF Bolt...if they can still make you happy at the resolution you want, then drive on!    All you can do is to keep it updated, as cold as is possible, and as free of dust as you can.     

Agree 100%.
jfox225 View Drop Down

Quote jfox225 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Tidgxor

Having replaced the GPU in my Gen 1 Bolt (due to failure, not choice Big%20Smile) I think it is definitely worth it. Not only are you going to benefit from a more robust GPU, you're most likely going to have a much quieter Bolt as it will stress the PSU less and that one rear PSU fan in the Gen 1 Bolt can really make some noise when it wants to. If you do decide to replace the GPU, I recommend finding that now comparatively ancient video of the GPU swap on the Gen 1 Bolt that DS made. Last I knew it was unlisted but if you decide to do it let me know and I'll see if I can find it in my needlessly vast library of bookmarks.
If you do decide to bump up the RAM, keep in mind that the Gen 1 Bolt has very low clearance for the RAM modules due to their placement essentially right under the CPU cooler. I can't advise you specifically on brands, but I'd definitely look for small form factor modules that are compatible with your setup.

Thank you all for the responses! I would very much appreciate if you could find that video in your bookmarks. I'm not much of a tinkerer to begin with and the tight spaces inside the Bolt have dissuaded me from upgrading earlier. Thanks also for the tip about the RAM module size.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 10:29am
Originally posted by jfox225

Thank you all for the responses! I would very much appreciate if you could find that video in your bookmarks. I'm not much of a tinkerer to begin with and the tight spaces inside the Bolt have dissuaded me from upgrading earlier. Thanks also for the tip about the RAM module size.

It's actually not that complicated to do, it's just a lot more time consuming than in a full-sized tower for sure. I feel like DS/Robert did a really good job on this video. I will say there were 3 Revisions of the Gen 1 Bolt, and while each Revision only had very small differences, there were a few areas of the Bolt used in the video that looked slightly different than mine, but overall nothing that changed how the GPU was replaced. My guess is they are using an earlier Revision than mine, which I think was 2, but I honestly don't remember anymore since they didn't really brand the Revisions and I only learned about them in a forum post from Alex several years ago.

Hope it helps! Strong
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 10:41am
Awesome find Tidgxor!! I've added to my bookmarks as well.

I spent a bit of time trying find someone who had actually made a video of replacing the card. The closest I had gotten was to the following from PC Per:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bDclZTW9Es

At that time, the author Ryan Shroud made the comment that it was a "bit of a pain" to replace. Looking at that configuration, I was reminded why I will stay away from thin and light laptops which have inverted motherboards. Some of these fixes are not for the feint of heart.
jfox225 View Drop Down

Quote jfox225 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 12:17pm
Very much appreciated. Thank you!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 3:30am
Very   
 Post Reply Post Reply