Post Date: 2009-03-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Xflyboy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Xflyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Shipping Suggestion
    Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 7:10am
After reading what has been happening with FedEx damaging these great computers, I'm wondering why DS isn't offering the customer the option of choosing different carriers, my system is inroute and I'm really nervous because I'm in rural NY and to get a damaged system and have to ship it right right back would be a big bummer.
Just curious as to why different shipping options aren't allowed.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 11:09am
because both ups and fedex suck, in my area ups is the worst and fedex is not that much better. but I'm sure you have the choice, not that it will make any difference
Xflyboy View Drop Down

Quote Xflyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 11:20am
UPS here is great, FEDEX is a nitemare, but I didn't see an option for shipping companys when I checked out. No biggy, it's going to be what its going to be.
I just hope it arrives all in one piece, after reading about these damaged units.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 11:25am
There are many things you can do that is not in the config, since putting all choices in the config page will load it up with a million things.

just call DS and ask them to ship yours to you via ups
Xflyboy View Drop Down

Quote Xflyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 11:31am

LOL, to late... it's in Utah on it's way to NY.Heart

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 11:32am
lol call them and tell them to take it back to DS and then ship it via ups

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Mar 2009 at 2:33pm
Xflyboy View Drop Down

Quote Xflyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 11:39am
DOHHHHHHH!!!!!
ClownErmm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 2:31pm
It's easier for us logistically to pick a carrier. We use FedEx as default for computer systems, and UPS for replacement parts and pickups, etc..

If you want us to use UPS, you can call us and request it, it shouldn't be a problem.

From our experience, both of them have the same issues, but, we as a company have taken a lot of steps to prevent damaged systems as much as possible. No other computer company takes as many precautions as we do.
Xflyboy View Drop Down

Quote Xflyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 3:03pm
Hello Alex,
I wasn't trying to cause a problem, I was just curious about not being able to choose a carrier. Either one will suffice, @%$# happens I understand.

I'm getting edgy cause my system is on the way... thats all!
Sorry for any miscommunication.
Big%20smileErmm
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 7:03pm
Remember we forum junkies need pictures when it arrives!!!
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
MrNanite View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MrNanite Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 7:38pm
ConfusedOh yeah!!!  ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

Sorry for the puddle.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 8:32pm
@Xflyboy, no worries buddy. I wasn't thinking you were causing a problem. I just want to make sure you knew the situation.
Tyler236 View Drop Down

Quote Tyler236 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 9:57am

If you dont want to worry about your system being damaged in any way than just get the (Crate Ground) yea it's pretty darn expensive but hey if your buying a nice computer from this company no matter how much it costs you should protect it.

Hope this helps some of you guys!
BillDempsey View Drop Down

Quote BillDempsey Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 2:18pm
It's too bad UPS and FedEx don't have a feedback system where you can rate their drivers and their service. Those guys are paid fairly well, especially for the primate-level skills required to do the job, and yet they still don't give a crap about how well they do their jobs because it is hard to fire them (unions!). They remind me of the way American autoworkers were during their worst quality years.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 2:47pm
How do you think the auto industry got into the situation they're in now?  UAW i.e., Unions.  These things have a way of eventually working themselves out in an attritionary market.  Markets change and industry process has to flex or you wind up like our auto industry. 

Hmmm, I wonder if I could get  some of that government bailout cheese.  Silly me, that can't happen,  I'm too busy paying for AIG's bailout.  Well, maybe I can renegotiate my truck lease and ask GM to lower the buyout term so I can just buy the vehicle.  What am I thinking, they don't care if they take a loss if I just turn it in and walk away form the payments, they'll just get their supplememnt check from their bailout money.  Ok, maybe I'll apply for hardship and see if I can renogotiate my mortgage.  No, can't do that, I make too much money and I'm not behind in my payments.  It just makes better sense for the government to renogotiate with those people that should have never bought a home in the first place and give them a greater opportunity to fall even more behind in debt on a house they never could afford and still can't.

Only in America!   

Edited by EdH63 - 23 Mar 2009 at 2:48pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 3:25pm
with FedEx and ups there are no outside contractors.

I have said it before, we all need to get together and each call or write the corporate office and then we will get results, calling their customer service will get nothing
paraguy1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote paraguy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 5:48pm
CMON now guys I worked for General Motors (before my accident put me in a wheelchair) I built cars and loved it (once I got my team coordinator job). But unless you actually worked there you really dont understand everything. Its not the unions that put them out of buisness its thier GREED. Even if they paid every worker minimum wage they would not pass the savings on to you and lower the price of a car. Working conditions were horrible before the famous sit down strike. Trust me there is alot GM does not tell the public. They could easily afford to give every worker a great wage and still be profitable and competitive if they didnt pay thier top people tons of money they did it for the last 40 years but now they are crying broke and want to pay people burger king wages. Building cars is hard work my first job there (applying tie rods on vans) was the hardest I have ever worked in my life. I would limp sore as hell out of the plant at the end of the day. 

Edited by paraguy1 - 23 Mar 2009 at 5:50pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 6:43pm
I work with all the couriers in the area, you forget my business is in shipping, all their trucks and drivers are all from the company, only when they get in a bind and have to, do they call companies like myself to help.

now that is in dc and surrounding areas, if they do it differently in other states then I would not know anything about that.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by paraguy1

CMON now guys I worked for General Motors (before my accident put me in a wheelchair) I built cars and loved it (once I got my team coordinator job). But unless you actually worked there you really dont understand everything. Its not the unions that put them out of buisness its thier GREED. Even if they paid every worker minimum wage they would not pass the savings on to you and lower the price of a car. Working conditions were horrible before the famous sit down strike. Trust me there is alot GM does not tell the public. They could easily afford to give every worker a great wage and still be profitable and competitive if they didnt pay thier top people tons of money they did it for the last 40 years but now they are crying broke and want to pay people burger king wages. Building cars is hard work my first job there (applying tie rods on vans) was the hardest I have ever worked in my life. I would limp sore as hell out of the plant at the end of the day. 

No dig on you, paraguy1, but in fact the Unions are a big part of their issues.  You are absolutely correct when you say "greed" has gotten in the way, but when a company pays their retirees 80% of their benefits years after their gone, that becomes a large piece of it all.

I've worked in car dealers and now I sell to them nationally and have been involved with the car industry for around 20 years in some way or another and car dealers, American dealers, are the most arrogant businesses around.  I'm not saying all are, but many are.  They are in this position because, like you've stated, they have been greedy and the unions have sucked the tills dry.  The Unions started out to be a great thing for industry, then the mobs took over and it became a source to do every bit of dirty work that could be done through a car dealer.  People wonder why car dealers have gotten such a bad reputation, it's because they built that reputation.

The car market has become, and long over due, an attritionary market.  The dealers that have been operating in the red and have been managing their businesses poorly all these years will now be lopped off the tree like a dead branch.  You will see new alliances in the market rise up and stronger bottom lines because of this natural process.  You watch, in a couple of years you're going to see the strongest car market in the history of the car industry because of what's happening today.  A whole new precedent is being birthed and we will all witness the rebirth of a great industry.  All of what's going on today was forcasted many years ago, but lazy and apathetic businessmen made the choice to spend their money on thier empires today rather than invest into tomorrow.

Greeds best friend is arrogance and that is what creates contempt toward men.  09' is going to be a very rough year for the car market, it already has been, but it will recover and our economy will survive.  Just know this year they should be selling 5 point safety harnesses in every car and truck because it's going to be an awfully rough ride into the next year.  
BillDempsey View Drop Down

Quote BillDempsey Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 2:19pm
I was actually talking about the fact that historically the American automakers sold the absolute worst (or second worst) quality products for virtually the same prices as the highest quality products being shipped in from overseas. Based on the assembly quality, reliability, and durability of the American cars which I (and my friends) have bought during my 35 years of driving, the American autoworkers don't care about doing their job right, much less doing it well.

Plus, the autoworkers I knew complained constantly about how "little" they were paid. In the blue-collar area where I grew up, they were among the least-educated and highest-paid guys I ever met in my life. Long ago, they were making $20-30 an hour for jobs that even mindless robots were later able to do far better. People I knew with Masters degrees were paid significantly less than they were. Maybe I'm biased toward educated folks, but I think somebody who spends 6-8 years in college should be making more money than high-school graduates and even high school dropouts, like the few guys I knew who worked at the Ford and GM plants. They got their jobs simply because they knew guys in the union.

I'll admit, coming from a blue-collar area and a blue-collar family, I stubbornly bought American for a very long time (nearly 30 years), but eventually I got tired of my brand new cars literally starting to fall apart within a year. Finally, I broke down and bought two new Acuras which have had a grand total of ZERO problems in several years of ownership now. Cars are a huge purchase. The people building them should actually care how well they do it. In the Orient, they do care. From my extended experience and limited contact with a few of the American autoworkers, they don't care at all. They punch the clock, get through the day with as little effort as possible, and go home.

It's a shame UPS and FedEx are equally terrible, otherwise one of them would be the clear choice and the other would go out of business to make room for a better company to step in and compete. The entire reason FedEx grew so quickly was they were significantly better in the early days. Now they are just as bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply