FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Short Review of my DS rig

Post Date: 2007-12-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
curmudgeon View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Short Review of my DS rig
    Posted: 08 Dec 2007 at 7:49pm

Hi everyone! I have had my DS rig for a full 24 hours and i couldnt be more satisfied.  The packaging and protection was excellent and that in itself was reassuring.  I unpackaged the system and reset everything and looked over it with a fine tooth comb so as not to run into any silly problems like loose cards.  Since hooking up my rig it has run flawlessly (i leave all my computers running 24/7) with no problems aside from a crash on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. which is just a common Vista memory allocating error which i fixed.  The only real change i had to make to the system itself was to up the 8800GT fan speed to 50% from the default with Ntuner.  That wasnt even necessary but i just thought the stock speed was way too low.  What really makes my day is Crysis runs with everything on High (auto detected at Very High tho) great.  Not really much more to say then i was very impressed with the care and attention to delivering a great out of box experience.  From the DS binder to the actual system great job guys!  I will no doubt be praising the quality of Digital Storm to anyone looking to buy a gaming computer.  Again thank you! Order #5700

Edited by curmudgeon - 08 Dec 2007 at 8:48pm
Pro Case
Silverstone Strider 560W
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz
3.00 GB DDR2 Corsair at 800MHz XMS2
250 GB Western Digital
nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB
Windows Vista Home Premium
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 2:07am
Glad to hear!
Dog Lover View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Dog Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 11:52am
Grats on your rig arrival!

Mine is scheduled to be here tomorrow.  It was shipped next business day on Friday, just checked and its in the DHL Air processing center in Ohio.

Extreme Case
850 Watt Thermaltake
Qx6850 3.0 Ghz (stock speed)
780i Motherboard
4 G, 1066 RAM
2X SLI GTX 260, 896
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Thermoelectric Liquid Chilled
Windows 7,64b
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by curmudgeon

The only real change i had to make to the system itself was to up the 8800GT fan speed to 50% from the default with Ntuner.  That wasnt even necessary but i just thought the stock speed was way too low.

Grats on the new system.

This part caught my eye. I would use something other than NTune to moinitor temps or make *any* sort of adjustment. Seriously, that program is bad news. I'd uninstall it, and install something like Rivatuner to adjust the fan duty cycle or monitor your GPU's performance.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 12:22pm
Again, I'll agree with Tyler.  NTuner may very well be your rigs demise down the line.  The program can be very buggy and rip your rig a new porthole.

Quote curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 9:15pm

What is exactly wrong with it?  Besides installing it just gave me more options on the already present Nvidia Control Panel...

well after searching thru a few forums the problems i see with Ntune is when it is used to overclock, change voltage etc...so i doubt simply changing the fan speed would cause me any problems, im not planning on overclocking or even using the actual tune function.  Anyways i installed RivaTuner but how do i go about monitoring my CPU temp? i can only see my GPU info on the monitor they provide.

Edited by curmudgeon - 09 Dec 2007 at 9:59pm
Pro Case
Silverstone Strider 560W
250 GB Western Digital
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 11:37pm

Use speedfan 4.33  and/or Coretemp 0.95.4 for the CPU temps.

As for NTune, it can corrupt your BIOS. We're talking RMA level bad. I've heard of instances where simply having it installed while flashing a new version of a BIOS has lead to tears. Things do get blown out of proportion on the web, no doubt, but if even 10% of what I've read about that utility is true, you don't want anything to do with that piece of Censored program.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 12:58am
This, too, I have posted about in a previous thread.  NTune is "THE" reason I started searching for a place to build me a new rig.  I downloaded it and this is when all hell broke loose.

It continuously froze my rig up to the point where it froze my BIOS on boot and I couldn't unlock it.  Needless to say, I was pissed.  But, where one port closes, another one opens.  Ok, that was bad... I know.  But, it was opportunity and destiny.  That was bad too... sorry.

My point?  Yes... the point.  Here I am with a freaking awesome rig that knocks the pants off me everytime I sit in front of it.  So, you can imagine I'm not wearing pants too often while I work at my computer.  You may want to disregard that also... my bad.

Must... stop... NTune!

This ad was brought to you by the ADD Community Network of America.  We don't listen so you don't have too... too. 

Quote curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 6:57am
Hahahah point taken guys, better safe than sorry i suppose.  I uninstalled it and am now using Rivatuner and Speedfan.  Thanks!
Pro Case
Silverstone Strider 560W
250 GB Western Digital
 Post Reply Post Reply