FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should i buy ode 3 now ?

Post Date: 2011-08-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
darbebo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Should i buy ode 3 now ?
    Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 2:46am
knowing that in 4 months new vid cards will come out making SLI 570 obsolete (well, exaggeration) and DS is going to swap out the dual 570 for that new card or something...and same price too.

what do you think?

I mean, my theory seems right because there are people constantly buying new comps from DS even though they know that new vid card and new cpu is just 3 -4 months away? why?

am i missing somehting?

Thanks!!
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 11:07am
Hi darbebo,

Some people just need a computer and having the latest and greatest is not the priority. SLI 570's are playing all of the currant games with high settings. Even if better video cards come out it doesn't necessarily mean the currant games will play any better. It is true that new games may require more video card power but we don't know that until it happens.

If you think it is smart to wait then that is the best action for you. It doesn't mean it is the best thing for everyone. If I bought a ODE-3 today I would be very happy with the performance of SLI 570 probably for the next couple of years unless some new gaming technology changes the requirements of the GPU.

If you look at gamers who bought 480's in their systems. Most didn't run out and buy the 570/580 just because they were newer or had a slight performance increase. They are doing just fine with the 480's.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 29 Aug 2011 at 11:09am
Nausicaa View Drop Down

Quote Nausicaa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 12:14pm
I got my level 3 this weekend and I'm happy with it.  Sure, there might be a price drop on the 570s when AMDs next gens come out in December, but that would have been my only concern.  By the time Nvidias Keplar cards come out, which will probably be around February, and by the time all the various issues common with new hardware are resolved, I think it will be close to a year anyway. 

Plus, the Level 3 has plenty of upgrade potential.  Stick with the 570s for a few years, they are awfully fast... I'm running everything at ultra/high settings with perfect framrates on 120hz, and doing 3D on high/very high settings as well without issue.  I don't anticipate many games causing these cards trouble in the next couple years.  At that point it will be as easy as swapping in some new cards and prolly a new PSU. 

If you can wait though and really want to the latest and greatest, go for it.  But you'll be waiting considerably longer than 4 months IMO.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 4:04pm
In 4 months sli 570 are not going to be obsolete, in 2 years maybe.

IF you can wait, I would wait and see what the new gpus perform like.
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi darbebo,

Some people just need a computer and having the latest and greatest is not the priority. SLI 570's are playing all of the currant games with high settings. Even if better video cards come out it doesn't necessarily mean the currant games will play any better. It is true that new games may require more video card power but we don't know that until it happens.

If you think it is smart to wait then that is the best action for you. It doesn't mean it is the best thing for everyone. If I bought a ODE-3 today I would be very happy with the performance of SLI 570 probably for the next couple of years unless some new gaming technology changes the requirements of the GPU.

If you look at gamers who bought 480's in their systems. Most didn't run out and buy the 570/580 just because they were newer or had a slight performance increase. They are doing just fine with the 480's.

Frank

you hit it spot on. I cant stress enough you could always wait an extra few months for the next best thing. +1 on the video card thing also the way pc games are currently most are running well over 60 fps with all the eye candy maxed.
 Post Reply Post Reply