FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should I update the lastest EVGA Classified Bios?

Post Date: 2010-01-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Should I update the lastest EVGA Classified Bios?
    Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 8:27am
Justin or DST4ME, I just recieved my system back from DS...and noticed that I do not have the latest firmware for the EVGA classified board and also for my Intel 160GB SSD.  Should I update the firmware on these, as my system is now stable for the first time in 7 months or should I try to update both.  Not sure if updating the bios will unset my overclock to 4.0 GHZ and also not sure if it is worth the risk to update the intel drive but supposedly there is a significanr performance increase, atleast for the intel drive.   I am only getting around 175mbps read times on HD tune...whcih I believe should be higher, I remember getting near 200mbps read before I shipped my computer back in for rebuild.    Thanks for your advice in advance.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 10:09am
if you have old firmware on the Intel, then yes update it.
Bios, that is a tougher question. Some of the newer BIOS people have reported a few problems, but I have no idea if it is the BIOS or the people overclocking the PC's. lol I am waiting for  a certain BIOS update that should be coming out very soon, I can let you know how it does on my classifieds, but if you are running a 7 moth old BIOS, I would imagine there is some decent gains to be had, if you are certain that DS did not update it? In Cpuz my BIOS's are listed as date of 9/17/2009 so you can check the date out there on the mainboard tab.
If you update your BIOS and you do have an old BIOS then most likely the saved profile will not work on the new BIOS. So yes you will lose your overclock, but you also might not be able to get it back, without calling DS to have you manually enter the OC.
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 10:48am
Thanks Justin, I checked the bios date and it is 11/25/2009.  uploads/2512/CPU-Z1.jpg   Do you think I should go ahead and update HT to on and see what happens...right now my pc is showing that my clock speed is at 3.8 when I start it up and in windows...but CPU-Z is showing a 4.0 clock.  Is that odd?
cheebamaster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cheebamaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 8:00pm
Not to hijack your thread or anything but regarding your comment on the 160gb x-25m SSD by intel, I just ordered my pc with one and would hate to have an outdated version...

Justin when you have some time can you explain in baby steps how to do a firmware upgrade with the SSD? I am not at all familiar with iso files and how that all works and would hate to screw something up on day one XD!

Thanks in advanced
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 8:27pm

drive should be current, the intel toolbox would be the only thing that might be outdated

Post Reply Post Reply