Post Date: 2007-11-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nomad View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: *sigh*
    Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 10:57pm
Unfortunately, I won't be getting a free monitor as planned *sniffle* so it looks like I'm gonna have to buy one. I have NO idea what to get. I need a lot of help here cuz I know like nothing about monitors and what the difference between flat-screen, LCD, etc. are. Thanks in advance!
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz
2GB DDR2 Corsair at 800MHz XMS2
320GB Western Digital
nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB
Windows Vista Home Premium
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2007 at 12:46am
People categorize displays that are light, thin, and have a small footstep as a flat panel display.

LCD is a display technology that falls into the flat panel display catagory. All computer monitors available to consumers are LCD so you don't have a choice.

You have to consider the following when picking a computer monitor:

- response times (lower numbers = better)
You need a monitor with fast response times if you are going to be doing any gaming or watching any action movies. Response times is measured mostly in GTG (grey to grey), anything under 6ms is awsome. For response times measured in FOFO (full on full off), anything under 12ms is awsome.

- contrast ratio (higher = better)
If you can control the lighting in your room and you watch a lot of movies, you want a high contrast ratio. But for gaming and daily uses in a room where light can not be controlled, any native/static ratio above 300:1 is good. Most monitors today have a 700:1 native contrast ratio (3000:1 dynamic) so this shouldn't be a problem..

- brightness
This also depends on the environment of your monitor. You usually want a brighter display for public areas (room where light can't be controlled). But this is all preference... Most monitors today are usually too bright out of the box anyways =x

- viewing angle
This depends on the purpose of the monitor. If a lot of people are going to be viewing the monitor at the same time, you would want a wider viewing angle.

- resolution / size
Take into consideration of your video card. If you paid $300 for a video card, you should be paying close to that amount for a monitor as well or else you going to end up being disappointed. Don't expect a $100 card to play games at a resolution of 2560 x 1600.

And that's it.

edit: And also you need to worry about dead pixels with LCD displays so buy from a place that has a return policy for dead pixels.

Edited by skyR - 29 Nov 2007 at 12:52am
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
sundowner View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote sundowner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2007 at 5:55am
What monitor would you recommend for a gaming oriented PC that runs at 1280x1024?
Pro case with extra fan
Quad Q6600 2.4 OC'd 3.1!
Nvidia 8800GT
Asus Maximus Formula Mobo
2xgb 800mhz corsair

xfire - xuntiltheendx
Cr8ton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Cr8ton Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2007 at 7:37am
this may or may not be very good advice. I will just tell you what I do when I am interested in getting something I have no idea about..
I goto newegg.com get in the category of whatever i'm searching for and goto Top Sellers start reading my way down the reviews until one really snags me :) I know it's pretty lame but hey, atleast you know you're getting a quality product that others seem to like too! Thats how I found my Samsung 22" =]
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 3.15 GHz
MB: nVidia 680i Core 2 Quad(A1 revision)
Memory: 2GB DDR2 Corsair at 1333MHz Dominator
Video: nVidia GeForce ULTRA 768MB
Sound: X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2007 at 8:55am
Originally posted by sundowner

What monitor would you recommend for a gaming oriented PC that runs at 1280x1024?

A 21" CRT like the ViewSonic G225F. Smile

Other's here will know more, but unless you are looking for a fairly small monitor (17"?), I'd guess moderately low resolution and LCD displays don't go together very well
3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
thecomplex View Drop Down

Quote thecomplex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2007 at 9:23am
I would suggest going with a flat-panel over a CRT hands down, in terms of space usage, weight, convenience, etc. A 21" CRT is huge AND weighs a ton.

My 17" Samsung LCD runs 1280x1024 and it looks great. I could upgrade to a larger screen and might at some point, but would never go back to a CRT.

Chris
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.52GHz
4GB DDR2 Corsair 1066MHz Dominator
(2) 150GB WD Raptor (10K RPM)
(1) 120GB Maxtor (7200RPM)
nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
Vista Home Premium 64
mccara View Drop Down

Quote mccara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2007 at 11:25am
CRT technology is outdated and not very eye friendly.  If you will be staring at your monitor for longer than 3 hours at a time, make sure you go with an LCD monitor =D I find them much easier to deal with, and i spend bewteen 12-16 hours in front of a screen every day.
Nomad View Drop Down

Quote Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2007 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by skyR

People categorize displays that are light, thin, and have a small footstep as a flat panel display.

LCD is a display technology that falls into the flat panel display catagory. All computer monitors available to consumers are LCD so you don't have a choice. *and the old CRT acourse

You have to consider the following when picking a computer monitor:

- response times (lower numbers = better)
You need a monitor with fast response times if you are going to be doing any gaming or watching any action movies. Response times is measured mostly in GTG (grey to grey), anything under 6ms is awsome. For response times measured in FOFO (full on full off), anything under 12ms is awsome.

- contrast ratio (higher = better)
If you can control the lighting in your room and you watch a lot of movies, you want a high contrast ratio. But for gaming and daily uses in a room where light can not be controlled, any native/static ratio above 300:1 is good. Most monitors today have a 700:1 native contrast ratio (3000:1 dynamic) so this shouldn't be a problem..

- brightness
This also depends on the environment of your monitor. You usually want a brighter display for public areas (room where light can't be controlled). But this is all preference... Most monitors today are usually too bright out of the box anyways =x

- viewing angle
This depends on the purpose of the monitor. If a lot of people are going to be viewing the monitor at the same time, you would want a wider viewing angle.

- resolution / size
Take into consideration of your video card. If you paid $300 for a video card, you should be paying close to that amount for a monitor as well or else you going to end up being disappointed. Don't expect a $100 card to play games at a resolution of 2560 x 1600.

And that's it.

edit: And also you need to worry about dead pixels with LCD displays so buy from a place that has a return policy for dead pixels.

Wow thanks skyR! That helped a LOT! Big%20smile

So yeah I'll definitely grab an LCD then.

Edited by skyR - 29 Nov 2007 at 9:07pm
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz
2GB DDR2 Corsair at 800MHz XMS2
320GB Western Digital
nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB
Windows Vista Home Premium
sundowner View Drop Down

Quote sundowner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2007 at 1:45am
What about for 1600x1200.
Pro case with extra fan
Quad Q6600 2.4 OC'd 3.1!
Nvidia 8800GT
Asus Maximus Formula Mobo
2xgb 800mhz corsair

xfire - xuntiltheendx
nomec View Drop Down

Quote nomec Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2007 at 11:08am

if you are looking for 1600x1200 you won't be using a widescreen.  I'd probably say that widescreen is the way to go.  Based on your rig you would be well off with a 22" widescreen and your GT could probably push 1900x1200 on a 24" widescreen as well. 

I currently have the 24" LG and it's incredible.  I had the Samsung 245BW for a while but it's a TN panel so its viewing angles started to bother me.  the LG is a different panel, actually the same as the 24" BenQ that is pretty good and I love it so far.  No ghosting, very little input lag, and it looks great once tweaked a bit.

QX6850 @ 3.33ghz
Nvidia 680i A1
4gb pc1066 RAM
2x GTX 275s
Vista Home Premium 64-bit
 Post Reply Post Reply