Post Date: 2020-05-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Flyers28 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Flyers28 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Sim Racing Build
    Posted: 08 May 2020 at 4:23am
So I have been out of the PC realm for nearly a decade now and what I used to know I no longer know, so all these specs are jargon. I'm wondering if it's possible to build a PC for just Sim racing for $1000. I'd like it to be as future proof as possible. Right now, and for a while, I will be connecting it to my TV. The plan is to eventually either get an ultrawide or triple screen setup. That's the reason I want it future proof so I can save for that and not worry about also upgrading the PC.

Thanks in advance.

Budget:
$1000

Expectations:
Needs to be future proof and the processing power needs to handle the massive physics models that are in most sims while running telemetry software in the background. Would also like to not worry about sacrificing graphics settings. Support for possible triple screens or ultrawide monitor in the future.

Usage:
Strictly Sim Racing

Special Needs:
Strong CPU and GPU

Edited by Flyers28 - 08 May 2020 at 4:23am
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2020 at 8:28pm
The only thing that I see that would be inside the budget would be the $999.00 Lynx pre-made. My question would be the amount of RAM.

If you can find a way the $1,299.00 Lynx has 16GB of memory and a better graphics card. I think that would be better in terms of future-proofing for 3-4 years.

I'll be interested to see what others say. Good luck..
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2020 at 6:17am
John18 is right. The only thing about the Lynx Level 2 that fits your wants is the CPU. It's very good. The RAM is deficient for the future, and the GPU is entry level. The Level 3 gets you way further down the line for $300. Will do 1080p.
Flyers28 View Drop Down

Quote Flyers28 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2020 at 8:56am
Ok, cool thanks guys. Looks like my best bet is to keep trying to save a little more. My fear is making a big purchase like this and having regrets. I'm fed up with console sim racing so need to make the jump to PC and I want that switch to be fully enjoyable.
one1two View Drop Down

Quote one1two Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2020 at 11:02am
I'm right there with you. I play other games but for me it's my racing sims first and foremost and though I have fun with my console I've been tired being on the outside looking in at the options available on PC. I've got a couple more weeks til mine arrives but I can't wait.
Flyers28 View Drop Down

Quote Flyers28 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2020 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by one1two

I'm right there with you. I play other games but for me it's my racing sims first and foremost and though I have fun with my console I've been tired being on the outside looking in at the options available on PC. I've got a couple more weeks til mine arrives but I can't wait.

Awesome man, enjoy the new PC. Everyone I talk to says Sim Racing on PC does not even compare to the console. The physics are much better on PC. And like you said the sim options are much much better. Tired of Project Cars 2, haha.

My wallet wishes I never got into sim racing though. It's a hobby with an endless rabbit hole that I can't help but want to go down.

Which PC did you end up going with?
one1two View Drop Down

Quote one1two Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:12pm
Config id: 3074613

I'm in the same boat PC2 has been my mainstay but want to branch out and try iRacing and rFactor2 mostly!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2020 at 3:28am
I think all you guys need to be careful not to get too much monitor for the video card you can afford. For racing sims, it's all about the framerates, and your eyes are so busy, pixel count isn't that important. Stick with 1080p, and you can find monitors with higher fps that will keep you happy. Just thinking out loud.
Flyers28 View Drop Down

Quote Flyers28 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2020 at 6:02am

I'm in the same boat PC2 has been my mainstay but want to branch out and try iRacing and rFactor2 mostly!

Nice Build. Pretty jealous. Maybe I'll just skip buying a new motorcycle and just buy PC, haha.

Originally posted by Cretae

I think all you guys need to be careful not to get too much monitor for the video card you can afford. For racing sims, it's all about the framerates, and your eyes are so busy, pixel count isn't that important. Stick with 1080p, and you can find monitors with higher fps that will keep you happy. Just thinking out loud.

I agree
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2020 at 6:46am
Originally posted by Flyers28

[QUOTE=one1two] Config id: 3074613

Nice Build. Pretty jealous. Maybe I'll just skip buying a new motorcycle and just buy PC, haha.

Think of the insurance payments that you will save...
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2020 at 9:35am

I know you didn't ask me, but I just noticed your config #. It is a strong build, but I can't help but point out the ~5 times as fast NVMe 500GB Seagate Firecuda M.2 SSD for another $78 for your primary drive. If you could do that, it would be worth it. If not, start saving! It will be the very best upgrade you will make for a very long time.
one1two View Drop Down

Quote one1two Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2020 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Cretae

I know you didn't ask me, but I just noticed your config #. It is a strong build, but I can't help but point out the ~5 times as fast NVMe 500GB Seagate Firecuda M.2 SSD for another $78 for your primary drive. If you could do that, it would be worth it. If not, start saving! It will be the very best upgrade you will make for a very long time.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the SSD. I've seen your recommendation a few other times and will defintely make it one of the few things to put on the short list of upgrades to make within the short term(still probably a year or so from now but who knows). Right now next thing is a new 1440p monitor before the actual unit arrives. I've been reading some of your thoughts from the hardware section for this as well and appreciate your input. I know the GPU may seem overkill for sim racing but I will be playing other titles outside that genre as well.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2020 at 3:48am
It looked like the budget might be tight. Good job saving a bit on the SSD. You made the best pick for 1440p. Not overkill, good choice.

This site might help you pick a monitor:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/03/04/g-sync-compatible-monitor-list-how-to-enable-g-sync-on-a-freesync-monitor-2020/

Just copy and paste. This list is up to date. G-Sync Compatible is certified by Nvidia. Good hunting.
 Post Reply Post Reply