Post Date: 2019-08-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Audius View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Audius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Single vs Dual GPU's
    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 7:28pm
I'd love to hear some opinions and experiences with SLI.

I am going to use the RTX 2080ti(s) in my new build and can't decide if it's worth doing SLI or sticking to a single card.
I've heard it can either be a huge hassle or the best thing ever.
From my experience, which was on old titan cards about 4-5 years ago, the performance it gave rocked however I experienced stuttering at times.
I want to see what it's like currently and if it's worth it.

Thank You!
forrest74 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote forrest74 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 8:15pm

The following excerpts are copied verbatim from

https://techguided.com/sli-vs-crossfire-is-it-worth-it/

Questions do surround the future of dual-GPU setups, though. NVIDIA themselves have even pulled back on SLI support on a few of their latest generation cards. Only the GTX 1070 or higher can be SLId. The GTX 1060 can technically be set up in multi-GPU configurations, but it is not officially supported by NVIDIA (they have not included the SLI connection ports on 1060s).

Another downside of running SLI or CrossFire setups is the costs involved make them a tough buy for anyone that has any kind of restrictions on their budget.

While one could argue that since dual GTX 1070s cost only slightly more than a single GTX 1080 Ti and often outperform a single 1080 Ti in benchmarks, that they offer a similar (or better) price-to-performance. However, the reality is that dual GTX 1070s will require you to spend more money on your power supply, motherboard, and your case/cooling. This is because dual graphics cards will produce more power consumption and heat, and will also require an SLI certified motherboard (which are typically more expensive) as well.

So, you have to factor in those extra costs when determining the price-to-performance of running multiple cards.

For most users, SLI and CrossFire don’t make a ton of sense. If you’re gaming on a 1080P or standard 1440P monitor, running multiple graphics cards probably isn’t worth it. If, however, you’re trying to max games out on a 4K monitor or a 1440P 144Hz monitor, adding a second GPU might help you handle those more extreme scenarios.

... removed extraneous links ...

Edited by Snaike - 29 Aug 2019 at 3:23am

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 5:02am
The RTX 2080 Ti is just so darn good, there's no way two of them would provide a boost anywhere near what it costs at 1440p.

2x 2080 Ti is nonsense unless you have one of the EXTREMELY limited number of 4K monitors that can output more than 60 frames per second. Last I looked there were 2 at around $1700. AND they were 27"! Total waste of money spending over $3000 to get marginal results that are pretty useless on such a small screen IMHO.

One 2080 Ti would give very high framerates on a large screen 1440p monitor at ultra settings. What more do you need?
Audius View Drop Down

Quote Audius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 9:01am
That's what I was thinking. I'll be gaming at 4K over 60 frames. So you think one overclocked and water cooled RTX 2080ti could do that? Or does SLI work well enough to justify getting two for gaming in the long run?
I like buying the best because it lasts for so long. However, I don't want to buy two if one is more than more than enough currently and in the future.

Thank you!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 11:08am
I have the use of 2xRTX2080Tis (EVGA XC Hybrids) on sli on a  Asus PG279U.

Temps: hours gaming - max no1 gpu 35C, no2 gpu 32C. Only no1 gpu's fan turns on. (cpu on air, cooled by NH-D15)

Utilization: have seen gpu no1 up to 46% with gpu no2 helping out with 24%. (max settings )
Comment: Very pricey setup.
Subjectively, it looks amazing!Big%20Smile

If you are going to order the gpu under water, get only one and if you find something lacking in your gaming, then get the second one (from DS with the water block installed or dyi) and install yourself. Order the loop with soft tubing (recommended) and the connections should be QDs, making it a relatively easy addition.
Keep us posted. Big%20Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply