FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slade build feedback, thanks!

Post Date: 2017-03-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bandersaurus View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bandersaurus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Slade build feedback, thanks!
    Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 10:11am
I feel like I may be going overkill on some components of this build, particularly with the power supply. I'd happily downgrade it if recommended but it doesn't seem to save much on the cost. I was also thinking of going Velox over the Slade, but my impression is that the Slade may be quieter.

Budget:
around 3k

Expectations:
Won't need to upgrade any components for 3+ years; runs quietly; can run most FPS games very well at 1440; boots quickly

Usage:
Perhaps 10-15 hours a week gaming, 15 hours a week working from home, and recording music occasionally. A quiet PC under low load is essential for recording vocals and/or acoustic guitar

Special Needs:
None really, aside from recording. I do have an old audio interface that uses Firewire. My existing system has a PCI firewire card which I'd ideally like to transfer to a new system but I doubt I'll find many motherboards that can accommodate it these days.

Saved Ticket #: 1631474

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz (Codename Kaby Lake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero (Intel Z270 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected <br><strong></strong>
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition) <br><strong></strong>
Recovery Tools: - No Thanks
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by bandersaurus - 16 Mar 2017 at 10:21am

Quote bandersaurus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 10:29am
Oops... I should also mention that I'll often run a virtual machine or two as a lab environment for work. Hence the 32 gigs of RAM.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 10:49am
Build looks good to me.  I would however change to the Corsair H100i for the longer warranty.  Corsair, last I checked, had a 5 year warranty on their coolers and the DS branded might expire with the DS 1 year parts warranty. 

The 600Q case is about the quietest here, so if quiet is a must, then a good pick.  Plus without added overclock, which you really don't need with the new Kaby Lake cpu, the cooler fans should stay at a lower rpm, hence less noise.   Video card is usually the noisiest fans in the system when load builds. 

Big%20Smile

Quote bandersaurus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 4:47pm
Trigger pulled. This site makes things way too easy :)

Following your advice bprat, I upgraded to a Corsair H100i.

Can't wait!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 4:54pm
Congrats, bandersaurus.   

Did you go Velox or 600Q ?   

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 1:19am
Congrats... nice build. Send us pics!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:41am
Congratulations Awesomeand welcome to DS.  We like pics Excited

Quote bandersaurus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Congrats, bandersaurus.   

Did you go Velox or 600Q ?   

I went with the 600Q after a chat session with a DS rep. The Velox was tempting but I think this is the way to go for me, and it brought the price down a bit too.

Quote bandersaurus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 12:29pm
Just picked my system up yesterday and have been attempting to play around with it this morning, though my kids aren't exactly giving me many opportunities to do so.

One thing I'm a bit disappointed about: it's pretty noisy at idle. Every system I've built over the last 15 years or so has been so quiet at idle, you can't tell if it's on simply by listening. That's not the case here. I've played around with the fan speeds through BIOS but I think I've got it as quiet as it will get. I'm going to pop the case open at some point and see if I can determine the source. Any one else experience this and have some tips they can pass along?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 1:56pm
I haven't messed with that 600q case, but I would think it would be relatively quiet.

Only fans plugged into the motherboard can be controlled in Bios. That case has a front panel 3 speed fan control.    If the case fans and even the 240mm rad fans are plugged into the fan control then that's the only way to adjust them.

Have you adjusted the built in fan control ?   You might want to remove the side panels and trace where the fans are plugged into.

You removed any packing from the inside ?

Good luck.

Quote bandersaurus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by bprat22

I haven't messed with that 600q case, but I would think it would be relatively quiet.

Only fans plugged into the motherboard can be controlled in Bios. That case has a front panel 3 speed fan control.    If the case fans and even the 240mm rad fans are plugged into the fan control then that's the only way to adjust them.

Have you adjusted the built in fan control ?   You might want to remove the side panels and trace where the fans are plugged into.

You removed any packing from the inside ?

Good luck.

I removed the internal packing material but haven't yet adjusted any fan controls aside from what's available in the BIOS and the Corsair Link software. I'm a bit limited in what I can do however -- I can set Link to "Quiet" mode, but I can't customize any sort of curve that sets the fans to a speed based upon temperature.

I've read some comments that the H110 can be a bit loud, but other comments that say it's nearly silent in Quiet mode. Right now, mine is continuously surging in noise despite the fact that I merely have Chrome open. Not what I expected, I'm afraid to say.

Edited by bandersaurus - 01 Apr 2017 at 10:04pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 2:46am
First thing you need to do is figure out where the fans are plugged in.   If they're plugged into the harness going to the front of the 600q case then neither Bios or Corsair Link will help.

I tend to think the case's fans are plugged into the fan control and your H110 fans are plugged into the mobo, but not sure. If the cooler fans are plugged into the mobo then Bios can tweak them.   If the fans are plugged into the cooler head cable then Corsair Link is needed to adjust them.    I personally don't like Corsair Link but that's just me.

The harness for the front fan control can be seen if you remove the right side cover. The harness drops down from the front I/o panel where USB, audio, etc are.

It's possible you have a bad loud fan, but that's just a guess of course.

Edited by bprat22 - 02 Apr 2017 at 3:14am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 2:48am
Your Asus mobo also has software, Suite 2 and FanXpert that can be used for adjusting the fans if they're plugged into the mobo.

Quote bandersaurus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 8:11am
I made quite a bit of progress just finally becoming familiar enough with the Corsair Link software to create custom temperature/fan speed curves. Turns out the defaults were pretty aggressive in cooling, even on queit mode. Now it's very tolerable -- the fans are spinning at roughly 500 RPM until my CPU hits 40C, which doesn't happen under light use.

Much happier! Still, I've read enough posts from people replacing their H110 fans with quieter models that I may do so myself.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 8:43am
Good to hear.  Strong

Just keep an eye on your cpu temps, under heavy load like gaming, since that's the temp that really matters.  500rpm seems a little low but if it works, then great.

What about the case fans ?  Are they hooked to the pc cases front fan control or the motherboard ?  Just curious. 

Big%20Smile

Quote bandersaurus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 8:59am
Is it possible that my temperature readings simply aren't accurate? Both Asus Suite and Corsair Link are reporting my CPU temp as 25-27 degrees C, which seems incredibly, impossibly low.

Edited by bandersaurus - 05 Apr 2017 at 9:00am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:18am
Temps are impossible to judge when the cpu is at idle.   For idle those temps are probably good or very close.  What you need to do is use HWMonitor, download, install and keep open, and run a game or two to see where the temps go.  I have always used much more demanding tests like Prime95 and IntelBurnTest to really cook the cpu, safely, as long as you keep an eye on the temps and stop it at the high 80's C if needed.    

But, DS doesn't like those tests because they are way above real world.   Try Cinebench for a decent cpu load.  Let it run for awhile. 

Hwmonitor has a good reputation for cpu/gpu temps.  The other readings are bogus. 

Quote bandersaurus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 11:25am
I wound up replacing the stock H110 fans with some Corsair DP140's that a few forums recommended, but it was no easy project. Turns out, the H110 was installed with the fans attached to the case and the radiator attached to the fans (the fans were therefore between the radiator and case), and the fans were set to intake. That seemed opposite to how it should be (and is opposite to how the H110 manual suggests) -- I can't imagine you'd want the fans to blow hot air from the radiator into the case. The fans on the bottom of the case were configure as exhaust, which also seemed odd. I switched them all around, which of course required me to clip a bunch of zip ties so I could get cables out of the way.

Anyway, it's now quite a bit quieter. I haven't had much time to do any temp testing since but at a glance I don't see any decline in cooling performance.

Edited by bandersaurus - 07 Apr 2017 at 11:26am
 Post Reply Post Reply