Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Raselyn View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Raselyn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Slade Lvl 3 "as-is"
    Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 11:58am
Hello,

I'd like a little feedback on whether or not I should go with a Slade L3 option as-is.  I'm really only using this computer for both off & online gaming (e.g. Tera, GW2, Skyrim, etc.), and at the present time I'm only utilizing one monitor.  Is the Slade L3 option a solid choice for me?  Do I need to alter anything to ensure that I have great temps and a relatively quiet machine?

Also, I'm curious about whether or not a stage 1 overclock will net me the performance I'm wanting, which is basically to be able to play currently released games on max settings with no problems.

For convenience, here is the build:

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish

Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset)

System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance 

Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)

Expansion Bay: - No Thanks

Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair)

Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)

Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX) (Overclocked EVGA)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio Extreme

Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)

Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)

LaserMark: - No Thanks

Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz

Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 12:33pm
Hi Raselyn.....Welcome to the forums.

For strictly gaming, the Slade level 2 is all you need.   The lvl 3 with X79 motherbosrd and the 6 core 3930k chip is for apps that will utilize it, like Photoshop CS 6, rendering, animations, etc.

The gtx 670 in lvl 2 is almost the same gaming as the gtx680 in lvl 3, within 5-10%. But you can always change it in config.

For quiet, just leave it at what the message suggests.   Level 1 oc is fine. Level 2 oc is a very small bump in gaming.    I personally would change the Vortex 120 for the Hyper 212 for less to go wrong and relatively quiet but the Vortex units have a vrry good reputation.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 23 Jan 2013 at 12:33pm
Raselyn View Drop Down

Quote Raselyn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi Raselyn.....Welcome to the forums.

For strictly gaming, the Slade level 2 is all you need.   The lvl 3 with X79 motherbosrd and the 6 core 3930k chip is for apps that will utilize it, like Photoshop CS 6, rendering, animations, etc.

The gtx 670 in lvl 2 is almost the same gaming as the gtx680 in lvl 3, within 5-10%. But you can always change it in config.

For quiet, just leave it at what the message suggests.   Level 1 oc is fine. Level 2 oc is a very small bump in gaming.    I personally would change the Vortex 120 for the Hyper 212 for less to go wrong and relatively quiet but the Vortex units have a vrry good reputation.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Thank you very much for the advice! 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 12:40pm
My pleasure.
 Post Reply Post Reply