Post Date: 2014-04-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Valdamos View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Valdamos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Slade Preliminary Build
    Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 8:29pm
So, my configuration number is 956684 with the important specs, I think, noted below.

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Processor: Intel Core i5 4670K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z87 (Intel Z87 Chipset) (Features Thermal Armor and Thermal Radar)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2400MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold Rated (Dual SLI Compatible)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz

My budget is between $2500 and $3000.  I'm going to be using this for gaming, nothing really intense currently but I'd like that option, as well as 3d CAD work with dual monitors.  I'm wanting to get about 5 years out of it and for it still to be a pretty good machine at that point.  My office is also my bedroom, so something quiet and with low heat would be ideal.  Any advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 9:37am
Hi Valdamos.....  Welcome to the forums.    That build looks good to me.   You might not get the 2400MHz out of the ram sticks and we usually recommend staying with the 1600 or 1866MHz, but for your CAD the faster ram might be useful.  

Good Luck and stay in touch. Big%20Smile
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 12:03pm
You might want to consider adding an SSD for a boot drive, they can significantly improve performance.

Noise suppression level 2 is redundant with that case, it already has noise suppression built into the side panels. You might want to consider the "Airflow Control" options. Though, the motherboard does come with fan control software that I believe can control all 8 fan connectors on the motherboard.

Here is a review of that case so you can better understand what it offers: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5708/corsair-obsidian-550d-starting-to-specialize
Valdamos View Drop Down

Quote Valdamos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 1:19pm
Thanks bprat22!  I was debating between faster ram or more ram.  Any thoughts on sticking with 1600 or 1866 and bumping it up to 32 GB?  RAM makes a huge difference with CAD, though I don't really know how big of a difference it makes when it comes to RAM speed.

danjw1, thanks for the case review.  I'm thinking I'll switch back to the noise suppression level 1 and put on the Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software.  This seems like it could help with noise as well as temperature.  I've always gone back and forth on the SSD, having never had one...  Is 120 GB sufficient for a boot drive, do you pretty much just put the OS on there?

Thanks for the help thus far! My new configuration number with these adjustments is
Theokritos View Drop Down

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 1:34pm
As bprat22 mentioned, you may wish to review your choice of memory. I notice that your selected mobo does not list support for 2400MHz memory sticks.

What 3D CAD software are you using (or plan on using)? Vendor and version would be helpful.
Valdamos View Drop Down

Quote Valdamos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 1:38pm
I have switched it to 32 GB of 1600 Mhz RAM.  Presently I'm using AutoCAD 2014 3D, though I'm looking at Revit and a couple of others.  I'm also using RISA 3d for finite element modeling.  Big files in any of these software packages really start to slow things down.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 2:26pm
I think the change to 32 gb ram was a good move.   3D rendering with any special effects can use it quickly, especially with your large files across dual monitors. Not sure the resolutions.   If the budget allows, I would up the speed to 1866. Your Sabertooth mobo can take 32gb ram at 1866 and I would take advantage of it.

SSD also helps with much faster data loads. Match the SSD size to your files for optimal performance.

Looks great.

Valdamos View Drop Down

Quote Valdamos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 2:35pm
So, after all the wonderful input my configuration number is 957008.  The only thing I am unsure of at this point is the power supply.  After everything I have added/upgraded is the 750W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold Rated (Dual SLI Compatible) sufficient?

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z87 (Intel Z87 Chipset) (Features Thermal Armor and Thermal Radar)
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold Rated (Dual SLI Compatible)
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (120GB Intel 520 Series) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz

Thanks again!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 2:39pm
You are good to go with the psu.   
Theokritos View Drop Down

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 2:43pm
I should really reread the entire thread after posting a huge wall of text. Seems like much of what I had to suggest was already added to a revised configuration before I finalized my post. Oops

I took a look at the system requirements for AutoCAD 2014 3D and RISA 3D. Both programs should run fine on the Slade with your revised configuration.

The Revit  system requirements indicates that it can take advantage of up to 16 cores for some of its processes so it too should run reasonably well on your revised configuration.

Please keep us posted on your final configuration and purchase. It would also be nice to read your impression of your new machine and how well it performs.

Edited by Theokritos - 28 Apr 2014 at 5:06pm
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 4:25pm
Very similar to my Slade build and mine is the best PC I have ever owned. Unbelievably quiet and, even under a heavy load in a warm environment I've never seen GPU fan usage higher than 69% or GPU temps higher than 81 degrees. Performance is stellar, too; I got 120 FPS in a maxed-out racing simulator today, with FRAPS recording in the background. However, processing a video this morning in Sony Vegas drove my CPU usage to 93% and temp to 87 degrees, which I did not expect and do not know whether to find alarming.

I went with the Platinum-rated PSU. I don't know if that is a step up or down from the Gold but spending extra money on an efficient delivery of power from the wall to your PC is never a bad thing. Never try and skimp on a PSU, I say.

FWIW I went with the nVidia 770 with 4GB RAM.

You won't regret getting the SSD. This is my first, too and the load times are insane. It takes the PC about 7.5 seconds to boot from cold. A small SSD (120 GB) works well for me but I have to be disciplined, installing all games on the 1TB HDD (which is not slow either) and carefully monitoring which data I allow to be stored on the SSD for convenience. My rule of thumb is to install programs (not games) on the SSD but to put their data on the HDD. I did not want my 20GB of music files on the SSD for example, but I installed iTunes on the SSD. I have set Steam to install games to the HDD.

Good luck and congrats on the purchase of a very fine machine.
Valdamos View Drop Down

Quote Valdamos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2014 at 6:28am
Thanks for the feedback! I went ahead and ordered the machine Tuesday night.  I got an e-mail yesterday saying they were out of the 120 GB SSD, so I went ahead and called them and ended up upgrading to the 250 GB SSD which I don't foresee me regretting at all due to the space issues Bahger mentioned.  I look forward to its arrival, am planning on taking the day off work when it is supposed to arrive :)
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2014 at 8:42pm
That looks a lot like my Slade build from early this year, though I opted for the i7 CPU and only 8GB of RAM. (I don't do CAD, video editing, or other RAM-heavy tasks). You can find my review here. Like Bagher, I've had an excellent experience with my machine, and I suspect that you will too.

One tip for when it arrives - make sure that you plug your monitor into your GPU, not your motherboard (if your motherboard has video out), and make sure you select the right signal input setting on your monitor. Installing a discrete GPU generally disables any integrated graphics, so plugging into the motherboard will give you a black screen, as will setting/leaving the monitor on the wrong input setting. (I managed to do one then the other while setting up my machine, which caused some unnecessary heart palpitations...)

Proud Slade Owner
Valdamos View Drop Down

Quote Valdamos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2014 at 8:13pm
So, I got my computer today and I have a couple questions.  I'm unfortunately going out of town for a few days tomorrow so I probably won't be able to work at resolving them til this weekend.  But, I at least wanted to get them out there to get some replies.

I have Windows 8.1, and every time I right-click on the desktop the computer freezes briefly and the desktop goes blue for a couple seconds.  Then after that I can usually right click successfully.  I'm having a couple issues adjusting to Windows 8.1, but I expected to and that isn't a problem.

The computer seems louder than I expected, definitely louder than my old machine. I got the noise suppression package stage 1 as well as the Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software airflow control.  I can't find the airflow control software that is shown.  Is this something I have to download and doesn't come pre-installed?
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2014 at 9:41pm
Seeing as you got the Hydrolux board there should be something called "Control" on your desktop with a Digital Storm icon. If you do not see it, please let me know and I can link you a download for the software.

My guess is that the fans are set to extreme and they just need to be set back to silent or auto.
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2014 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Valdamos

So, I got my computer today and I have a couple questions.  I'm unfortunately going out of town for a few days tomorrow so I probably won't be able to work at resolving them til this weekend.  But, I at least wanted to get them out there to get some replies.I have Windows 8.1, and every time I right-click on the desktop the computer freezes briefly and the desktop goes blue for a couple seconds.  Then after that I can usually right click successfully.  I'm having a couple issues adjusting to Windows 8.1, but I expected to and that isn't a problem.The computer seems louder than I expected, definitely louder than my old machine. I got the noise suppression package stage 1 as well as the <span ="ed_s" id="ed_agieas">Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software</span> airflow control.  I can't find the airflow control software that is shown.  Is this something I have to download and doesn't come pre-installed?

Hm, both of these things strike me as very aberrational. My Slade is whisper-quiet (although I do not have the same thermal management/noise suppression setup as you do). I can control my fans from Bios; I have no software for this. Under minimal load, your PC should be very quiet. As for Win 8.1, it does take a little getting used to (I quite like it, and it runs many games and applications much more efficiently than Win 7) but the momentary freeze and blue screen issues you are having sound completely wrong to me. You should contact DS tech support asap. DS is great and they will own the problems and fix them, even if they need to get the PC back (make sure you have kept the box and packaging). I don't mean to sound gloomy but you cannot settle for a loud Slade or an OS that freezes and goes to a blue screen.

Edited by Bahger - 12 May 2014 at 11:05pm
Valdamos View Drop Down

Quote Valdamos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2014 at 7:04am
Nav,

I don't have any icon like the one you are describing.  I looked all over last night and didn't see anything.  As far as the freezing issue I'm going to spend this coming weekend trying to diagnose the issue, but for now it is a bit frustrating.  Any recommendations when I start heading that direction are appreciated.  I was hoping not to have any of these issues straight out of the box, but would like to spend a little time fixing it before having to send it back and wait a couple more weeks without my new machine.

Thanks!
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2014 at 7:11am
Before you do it bring up Task Manager, and select the "Processes" tab. Click the "CPU" header at the top until it shows an arrow pointing down on it. Then watch to see if what comes to the top when test it.

Hopefully it is something that will show up there so you can find it quick. If not it is probably a service that will be harder to track down.

Good luck!
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2014 at 8:04am
Hopefully this is something that can be tracked down and adjusted remotely, i.e. some kind of oversight in the installation of software/firmware. If not, don't be too bummed out. One of the reasons I bought a second Digital Storm PC was because I was so impressed by their response when I had to send the first one back. Despite it bring a massive pain -- I had to spend $50 on a new shipping container -- I could not help but be impressed by the way they owned the problem and fixed it. I was intrigued by the cooling and noise management options in your build; much more elaborate than those for my Slade, which is vanilla apart from the extra fan package. You have many more moving parts but the good news is that once it's fixed it will stay fixed and it won't cost you a penny. The DS techs are good. Get the name of whomever you talk to and make him your point person. Please keep us posted.
Valdamos View Drop Down

Quote Valdamos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 May 2014 at 6:24pm
Alright, I'm finally home.  I definitely don't have the software that I am supposed to have to manage the fans. And the right click issue is still present.  As it is too late on Friday night I suppose I won't be able to get any of this resolved until Monday.  Any suggestions are definitely appreciated.
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2014 at 9:20am
Hey Valdamos, just checking in to see if you have been talking to DS and getting your problem sorted. The good news is that if it's their responsibility, they will own it. I know how aggravating this must be for you, though. It will get fixed. Keep us posted, there is a very supportive and intelligent community here.
Valdamos View Drop Down

Quote Valdamos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2014 at 12:15pm
I just got off the phone with customer service as their technicians were busy.  So, hopefully I'll hear back this afternoon, get the software I'm missing as well as the issue with the computer lagging out resolved...
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2014 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Valdamos

I just got off the phone with customer service as their technicians were busy.  So, hopefully I'll hear back this afternoon, get the software I'm missing as well as the issue with the computer lagging out resolved...

Just to let you know that Mondays are usually their busiest days but considering its only 12:26 p.m over there you will probably hear from them today, if not then tomorrow.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Valdamos View Drop Down

Quote Valdamos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2014 at 5:29pm
Well, I seem to have solved the right clicking issue by switching from the digital storm background...  I have no idea how this makes sense, but apparently the original background that was delivered with my machine was somehow toxic...

I must admit I'm getting a bit frustrated with the lack of response.  I called yesterday morning and was told I'd be called back yesterday.  Then I called today about 30 minutes before they closed, was told I was next on the technician I had been assigned list and that he would call me in a few minutes, and now they have been closed for 30 minutes so I assume that isn't going to happen.  I understand stuff happens, but I feel like I'm basically being lied to, regardless of how good their intentions are.

I definitely paid good money for this machine and for it to be setup appropriately, going so far as to order their custom software and their Windows cleanup.  Then to get the machine, have their software missing which is pretty much just not paying attention when the machine was built and the background issue, which I suppose may or may not be their fault, but frustrating nonetheless.  I'm left hoping that the Windows optimization was actually done, since I don't really know what that process entails.  My friend who has ordered 2 machines from Digital Storm spoke very highly of them and is the reason I ordered my computer here, I don't know if I will be able to do the same for others after this experience...
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2014 at 6:07pm
You can always email alex and talk to him about the situation and see what he can do to help. its [email protected]
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2014 at 6:23pm
Hm. They should not be behaving that way. It's time you put a firework under them. You may need to spell out to them how disappointed you are in both your PC and in their initial response to your issues. And tell them you will take it up the chain of command if necessary.

Edited by Bahger - 20 May 2014 at 6:40pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 May 2014 at 9:51am
@Valdamos,

Can you directly send me an email with your order information, I'll be more than happy to look into what's going on and ensure we take care of you.

My email is: [email protected]

Thanks!
Valdamos View Drop Down

Quote Valdamos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 May 2014 at 11:53am
Alex,

E-mail sent.
Valdamos View Drop Down

Quote Valdamos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 May 2014 at 5:55pm
After several attempts I now finally have the Hydrolux software.  But it doesn't seem to be working and it doesn't automatically come on.  i.e. I have to turn it on every time I turn on the computer.  I have switched it to Auto Mode and Quiet Mode but the fans are still going at full blast.  I was hoping someone here would have a solution...

Also, can someone tell me where in the computer the Digital Storm Thermal Control Board is? I really want to make sure it's actually there...

Edited by Valdamos - 21 May 2014 at 6:12pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 May 2014 at 10:08am
I would take off both side covers to locate it.   My guess would be near the card cages but can't say for sure. 

It looks like this........

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/uploads/6454/HydrluxBoard.jpg

When you find it, I would power off, unplug the 4 pin  power plug to it, reboot, uninstall the software you just installed and then power off again.  Plug the board back in , reboot, and re-install the downloaded file.

After that I don't have anything other than a bad board.  I ddon't have the HydroLux but this is a good general way to fix a corrupted issue.

Good Luck.

Valdamos View Drop Down

Quote Valdamos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 May 2014 at 11:55am
Thanks! That is way more helpful than the pictures their technician sent me.  Hopefully I can find it tonight.  Since you don't have the software it really isn't even software that you have to install.  You just double click on the file and it opens a GUI with the options on it.  None of which did anything for me, hopefully because I'm doing something wrong...

I'll make sure I find it this evening and do what you recommended.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 May 2014 at 2:07pm
I hope this works out for you. Let us know.
 Post Reply Post Reply