Post Date: 2022-03-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FriendOfEntropy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote FriendOfEntropy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Slade - Ubuntu
    Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 8:22am
Use Case: 80% Software Engineering with a bit of light gaming.

I've been making do with an i7-6700 with 64GB RAM and GTX 1060 for years now, and I really don't expect to suddenly ratchet up the type of games beyond what I play now...mostly stuff several years old or lightweight (MTG Arena, Battletech, Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2, Wasteland 2 and 3, LOTS of ancient turn-based strategy Good Old Games titles)...I think Valheim is the latest game I have. So 3060 should be an amazing jump for me...I always lag years behind on games so don't think I'll be crying over not having a 3090.

Thinking of this config for an Ubuntu daily driver, instead of dual-boot or doing Win 11 on the metal with WSL2 for linux. I was considering just trying to force Win 11 into virtualbox under Ubuntu (if possible to bypass the hardware checks) for the rare occasions when I'd have to have it for native Windows app Visual Studio development in some legacy C# clients I support. Oh also, a lot of my Steam and GOG titles have Linux compat, so no worries there.

Plan to run local kubernetes cluster (probably Rancher Desktop or another docker-based local k8s or k3s) like I have been on my old rig, and lots of other dockerized items, loads of dev tools, etc.

I guess my biggest questions are:

- If I specify 64 GB RAM, will that be in two-32GB sticks so I can expand to 128GB one day or will I get four-16s that block my upgrade path?

- I have Ubuntu in an old dedicated HP SFF machine now, but never as daily driver on "latest and greatest" hardware. I've checked linux hardware lists, but does anyone see any issue with my spec and compatiblity? Would DS allow Ubuntu as OS choice if there was a hardware compatibility issue with the config?

I went overkill on my old rig, and been using it for almost 6 years now, so by going overkill on the next one, hope to get just as many years of daily driver service.

Thanks for any thoughts on my spec for my use-case :)

Saved Ticket #: 4347937

Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Slade Engineer Workstation

Core Components

Processor: Intel Core i9-12900K (5.2 GHz Turbo) (24-Thread) (16-Core) 3.2 GHz (Alder Lake)

Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z690-P D4 (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z690 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI) (DDR4)

System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series

Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe)

Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB (VR Ready)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Software
Windows OS: Ubuntu Desktop (Linux)

Edited by FriendOfEntropy - 28 Mar 2022 at 8:25am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 4:52am
If you want to go the distance with this buy, you might as well consider the step up to DDR5. If your budget could stand it, you could get all the same parts plus DDR5 for $3535.

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4349743

That's not really a recommendation so much as a suggestion you may not have thought about. There's too much I don't know about your primary use to sort out all the pros and cons of the memory upgrade. It's availability seems a good choice for the longevity you'll seek.

AFAIK, you can request the RAM sticks you want and get 2x32GB. It might be not a stock item, and cost a little extra as a special order, but DS will try their best to accommodate you. You may be able to order 2x32GB of the HyperX Fury and find some savings over the faster DS RAM. You'd have to ask. And no, DS would not knowingly offer an option (Ubuntu) that wouldn't work out of the box.

If you don't think the DDR5 is for you, all looks good as you configured. BTW, you forgot to select Ubuntu. It's just not compatible with a USB recovery tool, so you cancel that.

Hope it helps.   
 Post Reply Post Reply