FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SLI/Crossfire and the notorious "Microstutter"

Post Date: 2009-10-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ValiumSummer View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ValiumSummer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: SLI/Crossfire and the notorious "Microstutter"
    Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 4:29pm
I'm wondering if anyone here with an SLI/Crossfire configuration has experienced "Microstutter". While playing games.

Is it a common problem?
Maj_Lagg View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Maj_Lagg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 10:11pm
I'm getting a stutter w/o the SLI.  Just a brief pause when I enter games...kinda wierd..It just started doing it this week...or atleast I just noticed it.
MICHAEL2A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MICHAEL2A Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2009 at 6:37pm
Maj_Lagg said,

I'm getting a stutter w/o the SLI.  Just a brief pause when I enter games...kinda wierd..It just started doing it this week...or atleast I just noticed it.

Roger that Maj_Lagg, I have been getting the same thing when first entering COD4  multiplayer. I wonder if DS can weigh in on this? By the way, have I seen you on CGO's server for COD4?

Quote ValiumSummer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2009 at 1:49pm
I was recently impressed with a video on Youtube of a gentleman running WoW on three monitors using triple head to go.   He had a very sweet set up but said it required multiple GPU's to push that many pixels.   Prior to seeing this video I had no desire to go SLI/crossfire.   So I started looking into it and that is how I discovered this Microstutter issue with multiple cards.   I had a few questions for Digital storm so I attempted to open the "live chat" window. Live chat was unavailable at the time so I was asked to submit an email (which I did).   That was either Friday or Saturday.   I have yet to receive a response.   I'll ask the same questions here.   Besides Matrox's triple head2go, is there any other way to run 3 monitors as one giant desk top (for games)?   
MICHAEL2A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MICHAEL2A Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2009 at 5:15pm
Hopefully NVIDIA isn't hiding a glitch in their cards. I'm using their GTX 285 at 1GB. Not sure about the multi-monitor question. I would just call DS directly and talk to a technician.Geek
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 12:46am
The 5870 supports 3 monitors, though one port is Display Port so you will need a converter if you have a DVI/VGA monitor.

Quote ValiumSummer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 3:37am
Thank you very much.

Quote ValiumSummer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 3:39am
What is your take on the "microstutter" issue with multiple GPU's?   I certainly would hate to invest in an SLI or Crossfire set up only to experience the equivalent of poor frame rates.   Is it something you guys witness frequently or is it a rare anomaly?
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 8:37am
you can't have micro stutter without multi GPU's. lol  It is caused by the cards being slightly out of sinc with each other. Cure, make sure your FPS are higher than your  monitor refresh rate. Or run a single card.
If you have a "stutter" with a single card, it is because you are having low FPS, take out the bottleneck to remove the stutter.

Some people notice it a lot more than others, but it is there with all multi GPU setups.
MICHAEL2A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MICHAEL2A Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 6:56pm
Can you tell me how to remove the bottleneck?
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 7:05pm
matters what the bottleneck is.. online games, sometimes it is the LAN connection, some games it is the hard drive not sending the information fast enough to keep up, sometimes it is the CPU, sometimes the RAM, but usually the GPU.. That is why it is so important to build a well ballanced PC.

It also can be driver related... or game update related.. so hard to single it out over the forums.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 7:30pm
I would first try the most up to date drivers then 2 older ones, normally you will find one that takes care of it, most times it is drivers, and other times as justin stated it can be other things.
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 12:56am
Usually I got that "micro stuttering" (single card) when there is crap running in the background or I look at a highly detailed scene really quickly with my former 9600GT.

CPU bottleneck could cause a bit of stuttering I would guess, but I doubt that is your issue.  Sounds more like GPU to me. 

If it is stuttering right after loading as one person said, I got that in almost every game w/ that 9600 (haven't tried with the 5870 yet as I am having issues), though I never bothered to research the cause.

Quote ValiumSummer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 4:18am
There is a difference between "microstutter" and just low frame rates (which is what you are most likely experiencing with your single card).   

Here is an excerpt of an article by Kyle lunau I just found on the OC forums about the subject:

"Now there isn't really a complete agreement on what causes micro stutter, but there are a few theories out there. The first is that the SLI or Crossfire connector bus is being saturated, forcing the data from the second card to travel over the higher latency PCI-e connection. Not all that far fetched, considering the sheer amount of data being tossed around between the cards. So I decided to do a little test. Crysis, minimum settings, 800 x 600 res, shouldn't saturate the connector bus. But alas, the micro stutter was still present. I switch off SLI, no stutter."

Here is the full article here:   

http://www.overclockers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4420:microstutter&catid=60:videocards&Itemid=4266

I want to point out that I am not experiencing micro-stutter myself.   I simply discovered its existence after considering a crossfire/SLI configuration to run several monitors.   I had never heard of it.   I wanted to know if it is a common problem, and possibly speak to anyone who had dealt with the issue.   It seems to be very much like the Chupacabra. Everyone has their own version of what it is and what causes it.

I appreciate everyone's input.   I'm going to stick to a single card solution.

Thanks!
Trixter View Drop Down

Quote Trixter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 1:30pm
There is a stutter for the first 20 seconds or so on COD4 and WAW , Its PunkBuster checking your settings for cheats
 Post Reply Post Reply