SLI/Vid Card Bugs?

Post Date: 2009-06-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: SLI/Vid Card Bugs?
    Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 2:59pm
Hey, I got a DS system with two 9600 GTs in an SLI config. I can't seem to attach a second monitor, is this because the SLI config dedicates all processing units to one monitor? Sorry, I'm not too experienced with the fine tuned aspects of computers yet, haha. Also, I play the online games Combat Arms and  Operation 7 in my free time, don't know if you've heard of them or not. Anyways, if I play any of them for a while, the video output gets abruptly cut at a sudden time, though the BGM is still there. The time it takes for this to happen is usually dependent on how high I have the in-game quality settings at, leading me to believe it's a video card hardware error. After a while, that freezes. Sometimes, when I reboot after this occurs, windows pops up a message saying the video card drivers failed. I recently read that after a crash and finally figured out its a hardware problem (I'm an idiot =D) . After updating the drivers, the problem is still there... I have the system set on carpet (srry, no time to get it redone), do you think this problem might be caused by overheating? I have a primitive CPU cooling system (no budget ='() and extra case fans. If so, would setting the comp on one of those clear plastic carpet protectors help? That's what I'm trying right now. Help!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 3:23pm
you have 2 dvi out puts right? you need to connect both monitors to the first card.

what are your temps under load ?
Zurginator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Zurginator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by ablahblah

9600 GT

That could be something to do with it.

Sorry, but the 9600 is a horrible Graphics card, particularly for gaming.

Still, I hope you can get it fixed!
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 1:46pm

I tried connecting it to the same card, but it didnt work. I'm actually connecting it to a VGA input monitor (its man OLD) and I'm using a DVI to VGA plug to attach it. Yeah, I know the 9600 GT ain't good for good gaming, but I was on a budget lol. Mom kept gettin pisd at me for getting the price to high. Also, I haven't really moved on to serious PC gaming, like Crysis and Call of Duty, I'm playing free MMOFPS's now, no time or cash to buy the big guys. Also, umm, the game I'm playing is full screen, so as much as I would LOVE to monitor the CPU temps, I can't. I asked for ESA to be put in, but none of the parts were compatible so they took it out. When they called, my mom picked up, and said that it was fine. If I were there, I would've asked to get a LCD thermal display installed, but it's too late now. However, I'm sending it back now to get it re-over clocked, since they told me to defualt clock it when they were troubleshooting it. I'll get the display and a better CPU cooling system installed, and if it still freezes I'll then have a means to monitor the temps. Any one else got a tip or advice?

ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 1:47pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the VGA input monitor is my second one. My primary has DVI, and it works.

Post Reply Post Reply