Post Date: 2014-10-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: SLI x2; x3 and x4
    Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 6:55am
Hi Folks,
I was wondering if the illuminati of this board can enlighten me.  Everything I've been reading is that x2 SLI is really the sweet spot.  Anything beyond that has rapidly diminishing returns to the point where x4 basically contributes next to nothing.  Would it be wiser to do something as x2 and then use one of the cards as a PhysX card?  I'm curious as to what people think about this and really what they'd feel is a wise investment.  Sorry for the dumb question.  Thanks!!

PS:  Bprat, I'm sure you'll show up in this thread - congrats on 10K posts!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 9:15am
Hey Dax.... Thanks,   Appreciate it.  Big%20Smile

Scaling of video cards definitley favors less cards.    A general rule, at least a couple of years ago, was the 2nd card gave you about 80% more, the 3rd card about another 30-40% and the 4th little or nothing.    I think 4K even scales with a little less than that.

But, this is all so game dependant, with some games doing better.  

If you mean a tri sli vs 2x sli + PhysX, I'd go tri-sli.   Physx from my limited research is a strange animal.  It helps with some games and actually hurts fps in others.  PhysX, to me, would be a sli setup and an older card just laying around and used for PhysX .  Usually can't hurt.

Just me since I can't link any proof.  Big%20Smile

Nav has posted under Video cards some setups that compare and they run somewhat to what i said.  Here's one to check out.   

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/unlocked/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780ti-2x-3x-4x-sli-overclocking-benchmarks-idnum117/

He has a couple of other here. 

Edited by bprat22 - 22 Oct 2014 at 9:20am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 10:28am
Thanks for the link.  I was asking if it was x2+PhysX vs. x3 SLI was a better set up. So x3 sounds like the way to go then.  There's minimal gain with x4 considering the cost.  I wonder how the 980s scale - I would think probably in a similar manner.  Would the x99 platform make a difference due to the better bandwidth on the higher end MBs?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 11:00am
The X99 uses the same 40 lanes from the cpu as the X79.   I don't think that has changed.  With the 5820k cpu on X99 you'd get 24 lanes of Pcie at x8x8x8 lanes and the 5930k you get 40 lanes at x16x16x8, but I have never seen any benches that show a x16 3rd gen performs any better than a x8 3rd gen, maybe a frame or two difference.   I'm sure that day will come but not yet, from my checking.  Big%20Smile
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 1:04pm
From what I've read, I agree with you.  The x16 doesn't seem to provide gains which is odd.  Would that be a hardware thing or a driver thing?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 1:08pm
Hardware. Today's cards just aren't saturating the x8 bandwidth.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 1:18pm
Keep in mind that newer cards offer better scaling when it comes to sli. I'm assuming we're only talking about nvidia here. AMD actually has offered much better scaling in terms of multi gpu set ups for a good while now.

In my opinion, the 3 gpu set up is the sweet spot for max performance vs price ratio (when we're talking about 1,2,3 & 4 card set ups.

But the new GTX 980 actually overs some great scaling all the way up to 4 cards. But, as per my previous statement, the 3 card GPU is really the sweet spot. It's the last spot you see some good jumps.

Now Bprat is right. You're going to be getting like 80% with a second card and about 50% with a third. I say third is the sweet spot because 50% is a big jump compared to say 10-20% for a 3rd to 4th.

As far as PCI lanes go. We don't have any cards in todays consumer marker that use up 40 lanes. Hell, the difference between a x16 and x8 is like 1-2 fps usually.

Basically it depends on the card on how many you'll want. a GTX 760 is a great card and two of them are amazing. But I wouldn't buy three. While a GTX 780 is an amazing card all the way up to three, but I wouldn't buy a 4th. A GTX 980... I'd buy at very least 3... and come better drivers possibly a 4th just because scaling is getting so good finally.

*This is under the assumption that the game profiles nicely with sli set ups*
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 6:56am
Wow - I didn't realize the 3rd card gave that big of a jump.  When I was reading, it didn't seem that much.  I'll probably be going x3 980s is what I'm thinking unless something else comes out prior to around Thanksgiving.  Thanks for the input folks.  It is greatly appreciated.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 6:21am
It didn't at first. At the very start of the GTX 980 release, it was just barely beating the GTX 780, with the GTX Titan Black and GTX 780 Ti out performing it. Now, in a single card set up, the GTX 980 wins at 1080p, 1440p, and just barely at 4k over all the cards.

And drivers are just starting to mature, so it's definitely getting better and better with scaling. Keep that in mind. Performance continue to only get better. Especially with DSR support, which I personally have tested, and it works amazingly.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 8:03am
Thanks Meller.  That's what I was seeing too thus why I was surprised at what you indicated with x3 SLI.  Nothing I saw (albeit this was early on) indicated that x3 really had significant gains.  I appreciate the update and drivers maturing is one thing that I didn't consider.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 8:52am
Oh yea. 3 is the cap right now in terms of sweet spot. Now in just general terms of performance jumps, yes two in sli wins. But in terms of getting noticeable performance jumps... 3 is where it really stops. Three is, in my opinion, the current sweet spot for performance gains.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 1:20am
Dax,

what are you trying to achieve with 3 cards vs. 2?  you can game at 4k (or triple monitor setups) with 290x in CFX at high-max settings depending on the game.  as Meller said, CFX scales better than nvidia's solution. and if i were only going to game at 1440p, i'd definitely go with a single card (where nvidia reigns supreme) like the GTX 980. 

another consideration regarding your other questions about the XP941, on the RVE mobo, you'll be occupying the x4 M.2 and two x16 slots (1&3), that's 36 of the 40 PCIe lanes.  if you go with the XP941 in the M.2 x4 slot, your config with 3 cards (slots 1,2&3) is x16/x8/x8.  like others have said, you prob won't notice the difference between x16 and x8 in most cases, but it's something to consider. 

now, between nvidia and amd, obviously the new tech and performance of the 900 series cards are exciting, and as a single card solution i'd definitely choose the GTX 980 over the 290x for the obvious reasons.  however, in a multi-card solution, gaming at 4k or on triple monitor setups, Eyefinity is the better tech over Surround, and you can presently get two 290x cards for $700.  if you're going to spend $800 on monitor(s), the price for a decent 4k or multi monitor setup, you should equal that in graphics muscle.   

i'm considering a similar system build with a custom single loop water cooling solution to keep those toasty 290x's running cool. 

Edited by db188 - 31 Oct 2014 at 2:13am
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 1:46am
I disagree completely.

Firstly, I posted a review of PCI lanes to show the difference between 8x and 16x. It's not even up for debate on if it's worth consideration or not. It's not.

As for multi-gpu setup's. While AMD HAD been known to scale better than Nvidia. Nvidia is changing that with their scaling of the GTX 900-series.

Also in almost all cases there is major benefits at 1440p to have a dual card set up over a single card. 1440p games at ultra settings can still be taxing. While they may not eat up all of your 3GB of vram on your GTX 700-series cards, they will still eat up everything else. You'll notice a nice difference in ultra settings in some games with a single card vs a sli set up. We're talking about 40fps vs 70fps. In some games, that's a big noticeable difference, especially if you're into shooters like CoD, BF, etc...

Nvidia drivers are just too good right now to not consider nvidia over AMD. AMD needs to do something big to even get back in the game. Outside of picking up a R9 295X2 card, there's not a single AMD card that would grab my attention. I'd rather pick up a GTX 970 over an R9 290X.

Hell you can get a GTX 780 Ti Classified from EVGA for under $400 brand new, but regardless. You made two points. AMD > Nvidia for multi-card configs and Single card for 1440p gaming.

I disagree on both fronts. But, thankfully we are allowed to have our opinions on this and go with the builds we want.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 3:38am
@Meller

i was essentially agreeing with you about the performance difference between x8 and x16 lanes not even being noticeable.  i merely brought it up for edification that you'll only get x16/x8/x8 in 3-way setups as opposed to x16/x16 on that particular mobo in 2-way setups.  some folks are interested in having their cards in x16/x16 config.  the point was, why the 3rd card?  it's not really needed.

i'll concede that you'll get great results with either sli or cfx.  i'm sure he'll be pleased either way.  however, he'll have to pay over $1,200 to get two 980's in sli vs $700 for two 290x's in cfx (where you can still game at high-ultra settings at the resolutions i mentioned).  performance-price at the resolutions i mentioned was the main point of the comparison (two 970's are an attractive alternative i'll give you, especially factoring in power draw).  i wasn't trying to suggest that a 290x is a better all-around performer than the 980. 

you can easily hit 60+fps on any of those games at 1440p (max settings) on a single gtx 980.  2 cards are overkill, but whatever blows your hair back.  and you misstated what i said at 1440p when you said one of my two points was that AMD was superior to Nvidia in single card configs. 
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 3:43am
Shadow play, power consumption, etc... Too much good to even make me blink an eye at amd at the moment. DSR alone is freaking amazing. If only amd could offer either better performance, less power, less heat, less noise, or better features. Nvidia is just killing it. :/
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 4:18am
Originally posted by Meller

Shadow play, power consumption, etc... Too much good to even make me blink an eye at amd at the moment. DSR alone is freaking amazing. If only amd could offer either better performance, less power, less heat, less noise, or better features. Nvidia is just killing it. :/

well, they are coming out with 8GB 290x versions for partners (Sapphire and PowerColor) the first week of November.  pricing is expected to be not too far off what the 290x sells for now.  the extra memory will probably have more impact on 4k performance (further separating itself from the gtx 970).  but, yeah, agreed on all points with Nvidia thoughts.  where's the real BIG maxwell (gm210)?

Edited by db188 - 31 Oct 2014 at 4:20am
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 4:58am
No clue but Nadia is also releasing 8gb 970s and 980 in November or December... AMD is a lost cause until we see the 20nm 300 series
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply