Post Date: 2009-11-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoeBagaDonuts View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JoeBagaDonuts Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Snap Crackle Pop
    Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 11:21pm
Aloha all! I'm trying again to pick out a sound card that won't crackle with an EVGA board... The Razor Barracuda is looking good and I just wanted to throw out a line and see if anyone bites. Has anybody ever had any SCP (snap crackle pop) with the Barracuda model or with their EVGA board?
Creative is like Rice Crispies, in the morning, and their drivers are perhaps the biggest laughingstock on the net. I will go on-board before I ever go creative again, though I do know peeps who still do well with them. I'm not flaming. I just want a non-crackly sound card for my new DS rig.
I think the Barracuda looks sweet and I just want someone to whisper sweet nothings in my ear and tell me how right I am. Clap 
If a seagull flies over the sea, where does a bagel go?
Optimystic View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Optimystic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 1:04am
I got the Barracuda, and so far have been happy with it. Had some issues with the sound cutting out on one side or the other, but that turned out to be Winamp instead of the sound card. I guess the Barracuda doesn't like the default settings in Winamp very well, at least not for me. Been using iTunes to play my music instead, and haven't had any problems since. No crackling, either :)
Coolermaster Haf932
i7 920 oc'd to 3.75ghz
12gb mushkin 1600mhz ram
GTX 275 896mb video card
Razer Barracuda
150gb Velociraptor
1TB Seagate
1000w Corsair psu
Frostbite liquid cooling
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 8:59am
I have a creative card on a Evga motherboard.. no driver issues, no crackling, no issues. I swap out components so much that I ran it for a while with onboard, and was very suprised how much better is was with the sound card.

My wife has an auzentech souncard, with no issues except she can hear the cheap capacitors on the nvidia cards scream when she is gaming. Drives her nuts, she has to game with the volume turned way up to drown it it.

Quote JoeBagaDonuts Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 3:21pm
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I will probably go with the Barracuda but its nice to hear folks are having luck with Creative. We had like a fifty-seven page cry about SCP on their website and they really did nothing but hand us a hanky... It had something to do with my SLI configuration and the way Jupiter lined up with the sun on rainy days. Stern%20Smile  They left us out to dry and my avowed boycott of their products has really narrowed my selection of gaming boutiques!
Some peeps say sound cards are a relic of a gone time and others insist, like you did, how much of a difference they make. The pro-SC folks simply cannot all be market reps and fanboys!!!
PEACE
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by JoeBagaDonuts

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I will probably go with the Barracuda but its nice to hear folks are having luck with Creative. We had like a fifty-seven page cry about SCP on their website and they really did nothing but hand us a hanky... It had something to do with my SLI configuration and the way Jupiter lined up with the sun on rainy days. Stern%20Smile  They left us out to dry and my avowed boycott of their products has really narrowed my selection of gaming boutiques!
Some peeps say sound cards are a relic of a gone time and others insist, like you did, how much of a difference they make. The pro-SC folks simply cannot all be market reps and fanboys!!!
PEACE

It's amazing how ignorant people can be because of an experience they had.  That bad moment in their lives records for eternity the disposition and color that they will carry forward.  You're correct, pro-SC folks are not all market reps and fanboys.  Because one has a bad experience doesn't make that any less true.

You seem to be an open-minded person; one who carries an even intellect that can weigh separately bull from sh*t.  Sometimes people advocate something simply because they like it... period.  Sometimes there are those that can distinctly tell a difference  between onboard sound and a souncard; a DAT and a CD; HDMI and composite; low resolutions and beyond statistically recorded higher resolutions.

We, the human, may all be built on similar biological platforms, but we all are unique in our applications and that is why some can do more than others.  My limitations are not your limitations necessarily and that is why we have different people functioning in different areas differently.

The common thread in forums like these is too label someone negatively that has a different opinion or claims to have a unique sense about them that would contradict the majority.  That majority feeds off itself and its ability to ignore the possibility that someone may be correct in their assessment of something that might differ from the evidence, whatever that may be.  The disconnect is that people, a vast majority, cannot see beyond their own inability which in turn becomes their own short-coming.

If I were to stand before you and deny your claim that you could sense a storm coming based on my limited knowledge and my own willingness too believe charts, graphs and reports only, wouldn't that make me ignorant?  Because I cannot understand your ability to know something simply based on a feeling or a sense doesn't make your ability any less likely.  It simply shows me that I am not equal to you and maybe there is something within you that is quite unique and apart from me... and that's ok.

I also use a Creative SC and have for many years.  I know onboard sound has apparently come a long way, but I still believe, because I hear something that tells me the story in my interpretation, that a SC can give you better performance and higher sound quality.  It also uses less resources and can be self sustaining in those resources, apart from the other pieces of hardware in the PC.  As far as the cracking and popping, I've had that problem way in the past and it required messing with the settings and doing some trouble shooting.  I've never returned a SC though because of that reason.  I've always been able to piddle around the settings and figure out a solution, frustrating as it was.

This post was not directed toward you personally, rather all those who think ignorantly, without knowledge and understanding, and errantly shoot down the possibility that others might just be able to see it differently beyond the limited outlook of those that are so legalistic they cannot see the forest for the trees.

Edited by EdH63 - 17 Nov 2009 at 9:46pm

Quote JoeBagaDonuts Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 11:54pm
Fair enough.

BUT I disagree with you and your implied assumption that people's shortcomings are a result of an inherent inability to see beyond one's inabilities or shortcomings. On the other hand, one's KEEN AWARENESS of what lies beyond one's personal ability (that pot of gold so elusively and permanently beyond the horizon) is what drives peoples' egos to dominate, control and hence, own each other. This, in turn, leads to poverty and despair - on the one hand - and hegemony and war on the other. The human condition is bound up in this struggle to be content with what we have and the parallel desire to be god-like and ride a valkyrie across the sky; write our names in its breath... Shocked

What Creative did was to upset this balance and build a loyal following amongst the faceless masses for years, only to shaft us when we should have all been moving ahead with technolgical advances. Doesn't technology just get better? 

My first SoundBlaster was for an old 3DFX rig and the memory of how fabulous it sounded was etched permanently in my skull, like a fawn imprinting on its mother. I had more Creative producst over the years and each was better than the last. This told me that Creative had my best interests at heart and that they "had love for a critter". I bought their crap without even really thinking.

Funny that you've got a Fatal1ty there... I'm looking at one too. Its right here on the front of my Talon and look, its giving me the finger!!! Gee, theres blood all around the edges too... Its *GASP* hellspawn!!!

Geez, I've got to quite getting so hammered after work. Look at this post!!!
To wrap it up : I've had this X-Fi card for three years and I do have a workaround that makes it tolerable. But for the first eleven months that I owned it (ok so maybe I am a dumbass but I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night), it was like somebody was making Jiffy Pop in my rig. I would do re-starts and that would fix it sometimes and other times, not so much. It was so insidious that it began to enter my dreams...

And lo and behold, thousands like me had the same problem. Just google SCP and Creative and you'll see. Oh goody, I thought!!! They'll have to give us a new driver now!!! They've got love for a critter, right?

They let our threads on their site go up into the fifty page area before they would delete them and then we'd start a new ones. To this day, the problem isn't solved and it was two years before Creative even gave us a new patch, which didn't even began to address the issue and they admitted it!!!

Now why would I ever buy a Creative product again? Or a Falcon Northwest for that matter? Just because perfection is beyond the horizon doesn't mean us ignorant peasants won't strive it for anyhow!!!

I'm here, aren't I? Ouch
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 8:19am
I had a feeling you'd respond as if I were directing my 500 pound gorilla at you.  I said, "This post was not directed toward you personally".  And, I don't personally connect your analogy to egos and domination (whew!).  I was simply pointing out that we are different and we can achieve different levels of possibilities based on our God given talents and abilities.  My rant had nothing to do with domination, poverty and despair.

One's ability to do anything that may seem "above" another's inability to conceive it doesn't necessarily equal hegemony or dominance.  Those results come from choices.  I'm simply saying that some people can exhibit traits that others cannot and others will choose to ignore that, ridicule or accept that; choices based in our own arrogance, ego, independence, understanding, knowledge, etc; Because I know, I am!  You know, things like that.  My rant was pointing toward conversations in the past on this forum about monitor resolutions, SCs vs. onboard sound and charts & graphs vs. real world experience.  The human nature factors into that because we are all wired differently and we will experience things uniquely at times.  The trick is how do we come together and discuss that without damaging each other?  It seems that folks here are getting a pretty good handle on how that looks more and more.

I, too, have read many forums about the Creative debacle.  It's very unfortunate and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  But, these are the experiences we will have that drive us toward, or away, from these things.  I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with Creative, and I hope you get that resolved soon.

PS - I'm glad you're here, too. Hug        

Edited by EdH63 - 18 Nov 2009 at 8:21am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 9:05am

My wife has pretty good ears, and we both are into muscic/sound a lot.

And I think that with good speakers, there is a noticable difference in the mid-upper range over onboard. but the big difference for me is in the low's, it seems like most onboard the really low sounds just are not there, and the bass just seems muddy with onboard... Most don't have subs like me on their PC's so maybe that is why onboard seems to neuter it.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 10:12am
Originally posted by justin.kerr

My wife has pretty good ears, and we both are into muscic/sound a lot.

And I think that with good speakers, there is a noticable difference in the mid-upper range over onboard. but the big difference for me is in the low's, it seems like most onboard the really low sounds just are not there, and the bass just seems muddy with onboard... Most don't have subs like me on their PC's so maybe that is why onboard seems to neuter it.

LIAR!!!   Embarrassed
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 11:26am
hey, don't pick on my million dollars subs. Smile

Quote JoeBagaDonuts Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 2:09pm
I can tell that you're a philosophical and good guy, Ed! I didn't mean to sound defensive but I love a good debate. I was just pointing out that, in my opinion, most of the chaos and misery in the world is a result of people trying to reach the unattainable. Its like a dog, with a bone in its mouth, looking down at its reflection in the water... It wants the reflected bone, too, so it drops the one in its mouth!

I expected perfection in my Creative products because thats what they had always given me... Buying a sound card should not be like taking out little Greta Garbage on the weekend.

"Will I or won't I catch the clap?!!"

What killed me was that FNW told me to call Creative, who then passed me off to Asus, which then led me straight back to FNW and so on!!! It was like a merry-go-round on acid... Sleepy

In fact, I came to DS because Creative has a groin hold on most other vendors, who carry nothing but Creative. They try to tell me to go on-board, but as mentioned, the lows are almost inaudible on most boards! Forget about FNW and that other vendor (whose spokesman wears a viking hat on company videos) as they will sell you nothing but Creative products. Its like the company figured out that its cheaper to market their crap with saturation tactics like this, than it is to fix their broken products.

Even though many folks have perfect sound with them, there are still plenty of SCP complaints with the new Titanium line as well. Big%20smile

Razor Barracuda anyone?

EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by JoeBagaDonuts

I can tell that you're a philosophical and good guy, Ed! I didn't mean to sound defensive but I love a good debate. I was just pointing out that, in my opinion, most of the chaos and misery in the world is a result of people trying to reach the unattainable. Its like a dog, with a bone in its mouth, looking down at its reflection in the water... It wants the reflected bone, too, so it drops the one in its mouth!

I expected perfection in my Creative products because thats what they had always given me... Buying a sound card should not be like taking out little Greta Garbage on the weekend.

"Will I or won't I catch the clap?!!"

What killed me was that FNW told me to call Creative, who then passed me off to Asus, which then led me straight back to FNW and so on!!! It was like a merry-go-round on acid... Sleepy

In fact, I came to DS because Creative has a groin hold on most other vendors, who carry nothing but Creative. They try to tell me to go on-board, but as mentioned, the lows are almost inaudible on most boards! Forget about FNW and that other vendor (whose spokesman wears a viking hat on company videos) as they will sell you nothing but Creative products. Its like the company figured out that its cheaper to market their crap with saturation tactics like this, than it is to fix their broken products.

Even though many folks have perfect sound with them, there are still plenty of SCP complaints with the new Titanium line as well. Big%20smile

Razor Barracuda anyone?

Very good points about marketing products.  I am in sales & marketing myself and I do empathize with your perspective on that.  It is a sad truth that many companies market poorly for the sake of the bottom line.  That "philosophy" is driven by the bottom line and not relationships.  It doesn't necessarily speak well into the quality of the product either. 

And listen, you didn't offend me at all.  I appreciate your attitude in this and respect it.  Stay cool.

Ermm

Quote JoeBagaDonuts Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 11:22pm
You too, Ed! Live long and prosper! Angry
 Post Reply Post Reply