FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So where, exactly, is that resevoir...

Post Date: 2010-05-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sasha Von BonBon View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sasha Von BonBon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: So where, exactly, is that resevoir...
    Posted: 14 May 2010 at 10:42pm
...and how to get water in it?

After having my system for a little over a year, just this week my system has taken to just shutting down.  After a bit of snooping, and running the CPUID thing, I could see that my system was running way too hot.  After checking the forum, I saw a message to check if the water is flowing and to check the resevoir.  I'm just not sure where the resevoir is (off to the side, I think), and even if what I see is the resevoir I have no idea how to get water in it, if there's anything in there, etc.

I have to the Digital Storm 1050Si with the "H20: Stage 3: High-performance liquid chilled frostbige system for CPU and single video card."

Any idea's on how to check on this would be greatly appreciated. :)
<8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2010 at 1:18am
well first make sure the pump still works, just check to see if your coolant is moving through the tubing.

most resevoirs have a fill port on top of them, if the liquid level is low just add some more to top it off, then run the pump again, watch it for a bit to make sure there is no air in the resevoir. then peace of mind
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2010 at 3:03pm
@Sasha Von BonBon,

Sorry to hear about your issue.

We'll do our best to help get you back up and running ASAP.

To make things easier, could you post a picture of the internals of your system? Then we can help you pin-point what things to check to make it easier for you?

Quote Sasha Von BonBon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 10:09pm
Sorry to be so late with this response. Life happens. :/

Anyway, I'm still having, what I consider, a pretty bad overheating issue. I can see water flowing through the tubes, what I can't tell is if it needs more water and if that's the problem. I've tried blowing canned air to clear out any dust, the fans seem to be working just fine.

Below is a picture of resevoir. It looks like it could use some water, however I don't know how I'm supposed to get it in there.

AustinHiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote AustinHiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 10:12am
WOAH that is very low! Im wondering how it got out :/

Quote Sasha Von BonBon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 4:26pm
I figured that might be an issue. I've gone ahead and called for tech support just in case there might be something else going on, waiting for a callback now. Hopefully nothing big is wrong!
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 5:38pm
Fill cap is that black cap on the top, use a flat head screwdriver to unscrew it. Might be a drain cap on the bottom. If you wanted to, you could just drain the system and then top it off with distilled water. Should see even better temps if you do it right, ehehe. Then again, distilled water needs antibiotics to kill things in it, and anti corrosion possibly. o.o

Nothing's wrong, you just need to top off that reservoir. DS will probably just send you more liquid.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 9:10am
ablahblah is correct.

There is a black cap or silver cap at the top of that tank which you can add fluid in.

Quote Sasha Von BonBon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 8:43pm
Thanks all:)  Now the issue is how to get to it. It's in a fairly awkward, difficult spot to get to. It's velcroed on there, but tethered by a plastic band. Also, what kind of fluid am I supposed to put in there if water would become corrosive, etc.?
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 9:01pm
DISTILLED WATER!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 3:20pm
You need to use a pair of clippers to cut the 'plastic band' which is used to ensure it doesn't come loose of the Velcro in shipping.

Then you should be able to easily add distiled water into the system.

Quote Sasha Von BonBon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 10:05pm
Thanks for all the tips. Support called me back and suggested, rather strongly, that I use a coolant and only use distilled water as the last possible resort for the reasons ablahblah mentioned above. So I'm off to find some coolant. Thanks again everyone. :)
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 9:13am
a small amount of distilled will not harm anything, if you were to drain the system, and fill with straight distilled, there would most likely have some growth inside the loop, after time.
The "coolant" is mostly distilled water. The pre-mixed fluids are a good idea if you have mixed metals, but there is none in your loop, the only thing you would need to worry about is algae growth, which the existing fluid has plenty of biocide to keep all the little nasties from growing.
Most custom water cooled rigs run pure distilled water with a biocide, like pentosin, Copper sulfate pentahydrate, or the best, a piece of silver.  Running distilled water, yields, better performance, fewer issues, than any of the pre-mixed fluids.
 Post Reply Post Reply