FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Some Advice Needed

Post Date: 2019-10-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Wholly_Knight View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Wholly_Knight Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Some Advice Needed
    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 4:47pm
Hi Everyone,
                       I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Lumos build and have a couple questions I need some advice on please. I spoke with sales today and was told they couldn't advise me at all as to the brand and/or model of card I may get with my system (I have initially chosen an RTX 2060 Super). Does anyone have any general idea as to what they are currently offering on RTX cards? I was told I could request a specific make/model of card for an additional fee and am considering possibly going that route.

I was also advised that DS prefers you use their website to place an order, but I couldn't include any special order directly in it and also have a couple of build requests that may exceed the 254 character limit so I would like to have a sales rep take the order directly if possible. Is this still done?

Also, I've seen a couple posts here that say to avoid the Win 10 tweak option. I chose it as I thought it would result in a bit of a cleaner more user friendly OS, but I suppose I can turn off things like auto-updates and the UI choice preset, which was advised they didn't do in the tweak option anyway, so maybe it's not such a good idea after all. Any additional info on that option is appreciated though I may just drop it from my build.

Thanks in advance for any input on these issues. I need to complete my order by tomorrow. I certainly don't want to miss the current sale offerings and would certainly like to get the build started ASAP.

Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 5:15pm
I received my new Lumos about 3 weeks ago. I had selected the nVidia RTX 2070 Super graphics card. The machine arrived with the EVGA Geforce RTX 2070 Super installed.

I have no way to know if they are still using EVGA or a different brand at this point. If you don't want to roll the dice, probably best to pay a little extra and request a specific brand/model. Might delay your build though if they are not in-stock.

Quote Wholly_Knight Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 6:09pm
Thanks for your reply Bob. The EVGA card would likely be fine. I was worried about smaller cheaper cards being used as pictured on the configurator. I spoke with sales manager John S today and all he could say was that could be the card, or it might not be. I was looking at an ASUS ROG Strix 2060S which he said would be fine but would need to be ordered from a retailer.

How is the noise level of your machine if I may ask?
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 6:28pm
Very silent. When I first turned it on, I heard no sound at all, just the lights on. I was wondering if something was broke.

I have the Cooler-Master air cooler on the CPU, rather than a liquid system. Even the fan on that cooler is very quiet, but you can hear it, although very faint.

However, I also have the 6 Corsair Magnetic ML Pro case fans which are virtually silent. Would highly recommend them.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 4:37am
The OS tweak is a crap-shoot. We have no idea what they turn off, so we have no idea what to turn back on if you should want it back. Is Win 10 not user-friendly? News to me after almost two years.

The OS tweak originated at a time when 500 MB or 1 GB of RAM was a lot, and very expensive. Games were coming on the horizon that were bound to put a strain on available RAM, but Windows was also making greater demands. If some lesser utilized processes or services were turned off, gaming performance could be enhanced a bit. Nowadays, there is no danger of the OS intruding on RAM needed for gaming. 16 GB is far more than you will need for the forseeable future. Still entirely up to you, but to what end? I fail to see how it would be better or faster.
sTu View Drop Down

Quote sTu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 9:14pm
My experience with an order in process regarding video card choice:

I tried specifying two different cards(that would have to be ordered) and both were rejected as not being compatible with my build. I also have a concern about one of the boards being offered and was trying to avoid it. It seems to me you get a board that they happen to have at the time the build begins and that the boards available can change quickly. To keep the build moving along the build chain the handwriting on the wall said to me that I should let Digital pick out a board they knew would be compatible. The system is going to be ridiculously good no matter what manufacturer they choose. Way the variables and pick the one that works best for you.

HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by sTu

My experience with an order in process regarding video card choice:

I tried specifying two different cards(that would have to be ordered) and both were rejected as not being compatible with my build. I also have a concern about one of the boards being offered and was trying to avoid it. It seems to me you get a board that they happen to have at the time the build begins and that the boards available can change quickly. To keep the build moving along the build chain the handwriting on the wall said to me that I should let Digital pick out a board they knew would be compatible. The system is going to be ridiculously good no matter what manufacturer they choose. Way the variables and pick the one that works best for you.

DS is usually extremely easy to get special requests on video cards accomplished.   Just wondering what Config you ordered, and what two video cards you were interested in having DS order that wouldn't be compatible...?    Not a DS response we have heard about very often, unless it's a SFF Bolt and size limitations....but even Bolt can handle most cards....

Edited by HockeyBuck - 02 Nov 2019 at 1:30pm
sTu View Drop Down

Quote sTu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 1:43pm
Greets HockeyBuck,
I have appreciated and gained much from reading your responses-thanks.
My Build:
- -- PROMOTIONAL LIMITED TIME BONUS DISCOUNT: $500 Quantity: 1 ($500.00)
- -- NVIDIA Bundle - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Digital Code) Quantity: 1 $0.00
- Fluid Bottle By: John 10/23/2019 Quantity: 1 $25.00
- Drain Tube By: John 10/23/2019 Quantity: 1 $65.00

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Aventum X
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900KS (5.0 GHz Turbo All Cores) (16-Thread) (8-Core) (Special Edition)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair HX1200i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Red Flexible Tubing + Clear Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Red - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Thermaltake Riing Plus (RGB) (Software Controlled Effects) (14 Fans Total)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.1GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Part Replacement)

One card requested was an EVGA Ultra 2080TI, not positive about the second so won't guess, but it was not a more exotic solution with its own liquid cooling.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by sTu

Greets HockeyBuck,
I have appreciated and gained much from reading your responses-thanks.
My Build:
- -- PROMOTIONAL LIMITED TIME BONUS DISCOUNT: $500 Quantity: 1 ($500.00)
- -- NVIDIA Bundle - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Digital Code) Quantity: 1 $0.00
- Fluid Bottle By: John 10/23/2019 Quantity: 1 $25.00
- Drain Tube By: John 10/23/2019 Quantity: 1 $65.00

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Aventum X
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900KS (5.0 GHz Turbo All Cores) (16-Thread) (8-Core) (Special Edition)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair HX1200i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Red Flexible Tubing + Clear Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Red - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Thermaltake Riing Plus (RGB) (Software Controlled Effects) (14 Fans Total)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.1GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Part Replacement)

One card requested was an EVGA Ultra 2080TI, not positive about the second so won't guess, but it was not a more exotic solution with its own liquid cooling.

Thank you for the kind words sir...my pleasure.   Beast of an Aventum build!

What DS does when water cooling a video card is to use one of several brands fan cooled model RTX 2080 Ti card to control cost, then remove the heat sink and fan shroud to mount their own custom DS water block.    Their DS waterblock may not fit some brands product, so I’m guessing that’s why they were said to be incompatible.     It is possible to use a factory waterblocked EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Hydro Copper card in Aventum as many have used that top line card.    Maybe there are issues using other factory waterblocked cards but I kinda doubt it.    Thanks for sharing the build with us!

Edited by HockeyBuck - 03 Nov 2019 at 1:04am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 12:13am
Congratulations. That system will rock any monitor you hook up to it. Strong
Start the offerings to the shipping gods. Big%20Smile

Quote Wholly_Knight Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 9:55am
Thanks everyone for your responses. I dropped the OS tweak request as it doesn't really sound like it would accomplish much now. I did get some info on video card brands and types so I think that should work out.

I orderd the system Saturday morning. It went to stage 1 Monday and then stages 2 through 4 yesterday. I just received an email that it's now in stage 5. DS isn't letting any grass grow under this build for sure Big%20Smile Either they're not as busy as I suspected they might be around this time or else they've stepped up production.
sTu View Drop Down

Quote sTu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 10:29am
Congrats and lucky you on the production flow. I ordered on the 20th and my unit is still on stage 2. In my case not having parts in stock is slowing the flow I think.

Quote Wholly_Knight Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 4:48pm
Thanks Stu. I can understand that parts availability can be frustrating. Hopefully their suppliers will come through with restocking soon.

I called earlier today to check the status of my system and was advised it began to experience crashing during stress testing and is now back on the bench. Looks like I got a poorly binned chip as an h115i cooler and Corsair maglev fans would indicate that heat isn't the likely issue. So it's likely to undergo considerable downclocking at higher voltages to be stable. Cry

Lesson learned for the future: always go stage 2 on the OC as that should at least guarantee a maximum stage 1 OC.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 7:10pm

More likely is that the I9-9900KS you selected is a brand new Intel model CPU that comes stock with a higher frequency clock.    Brand new version processors take DS some time to work out the correct OC settings.     Be patient and they will get you the highest stable OC they can craft, but you will be one of the first to order that new chip.     

Quote Wholly_Knight Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 7:55pm
The processor on my config is the i9 9920x 12 core. If they've put a 9900KS in my system then I'm afraid there are more problems than I'm aware of.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 8:03pm
Ahh my error looking at other posts in your thread

Quote Wholly_Knight Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 8:52pm
No problem. I suppose I should post the actual specs if anyone wants to see them.

System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-9920X (12-Core) 3.50 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING (Wi-Fi) (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Hi-Res) (Ultimate Audio Playback)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i PRO - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair ML PRO Series (High Static Pressure) (Magnetic Levitation)
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.5GHz via Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

sTu View Drop Down

Quote sTu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 1:15pm
HockeyBuck, on target on the I9-9900KS processor I think.
From what I can gather online some boards need a bios update. One hardware site had a difficult time with memory from multiple manufacturers with the Maximus Hero when overclocking. In retrospect, I might have stuck with the 9900K with the minimal increases the 9900KS seems to offer, but for $49 it seemed like a worthwhile upgrade when I had to make the decision. Perhaps on Monday or Tuesday I will see if I can chat with someone at DS who can provide a status update.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by sTu

HockeyBuck, on target on the I9-9900KS processor I think.
From what I can gather online some boards need a bios update. One hardware site had a difficult time with memory from multiple manufacturers with the Maximus Hero when overclocking. In retrospect, I might have stuck with the 9900K with the minimal increases the 9900KS seems to offer, but for $49 it seemed like a worthwhile upgrade when I had to make the decision. Perhaps on Monday or Tuesday I will see if I can chat with someone at DS who can provide a status update.

I'm sure they will figure out safest best settings after working with it, and everyone after you ordering the KS should benefit. The 9900K or X they know well what has worked hundreds or thousands of times Overclocking those...KS new model throws the book away and DS has to experiment to develop best settings that are nice & stable.   Try to be patient...they know better than anyone else how best to OC Intel K & X Class processors and will get you a safe and stable Stage 2 OC.   Just takes a little extra time to let rig settle in and stress test.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Wholly_Knight

No problem. I suppose I should post the actual specs if anyone wants to see them.
<div dir="ltr">System Configuration:
<div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr">Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos<div dir="ltr">Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish<div dir="ltr">Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish<div dir="ltr">Processor: Intel Core i9-9920X (12-Core) 3.50 GHz<div dir="ltr">Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING (Wi-Fi) (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) <div dir="ltr">System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance) <div dir="ltr">Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)<div dir="ltr">Expansion Bay: - No Thanks<div dir="ltr">Optical Drive: - No Thanks<div dir="ltr">Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance) <div dir="ltr">Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO) <div dir="ltr">Storage Set 3: - No Thanks<div dir="ltr">RAID Config: - No Thanks<div dir="ltr">RAID Card: - No Thanks<div dir="ltr">Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)<div dir="ltr">Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready) <div dir="ltr">Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Hi-Res) (Ultimate Audio Playback) <div dir="ltr">HPC Processor: - No Thanks<div dir="ltr">Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i PRO - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance) <div dir="ltr">HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected<div dir="ltr">HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected<div dir="ltr">Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)<div dir="ltr">Chassis Fans: Corsair ML PRO Series (High Static Pressure) (Magnetic Levitation) <div dir="ltr">Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes) <div dir="ltr">Airflow Control: - No Thanks<div dir="ltr">Chassis Mods: - No Thanks<div dir="ltr">Noise Reduction: - No Thanks<div dir="ltr">LaserMark: Option Not Available<div dir="ltr">CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.5GHz via Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 <div dir="ltr">Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)<div dir="ltr">OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system<div dir="ltr">Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition) <div dir="ltr">Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)<div dir="ltr">Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)<div dir="ltr">Office: - No Thanks<div dir="ltr">Mouse Pad: - No Thanks<div dir="ltr">Display: - No Thanks<div dir="ltr">Surge Shield: - No Thanks<div dir="ltr">Speakers: - No Thanks<div dir="ltr">Keyboard: - No Thanks<div dir="ltr">Mouse: - No Thanks<div dir="ltr">Branded Gear: - No Thanks<div dir="ltr">Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed<div dir="ltr">Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)<div dir="ltr">

A very strong Lumos build sir.... Kind of similar to the 9900KS of sTu, they would likely sell fewer of the pro CPU models uphill from the 9900X....so perhaps they just need a little extra time with it to work out your best stable OC settings and stress test..   They will get it right for you... No matter the model, every CPU is unique in some way...takes experience to tune them.   

Quote Wholly_Knight Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 8:14pm
That may be so though the 9000 series at this point should be a known quantity I would think which is one of the main reasons I didn't wait for the 10000 series launch. One thing that has me concerned about this is the cpu in the DS system  I have now is slightly overvolted in reference to Intel's recommended maximum vcore and it's also a stage 1. I don't want a repeat of that again if possible. I was advised the techs were tweaking my system and there's only so much you can do to tweak a failed OC and that mainly amounts to increasing voltage and/or lowering clock speed.

I hoped for a stable near max stage 1 clock but I'm not sure that's possible now. I now regret not ordering a stage 2 as that would likely mean a minimum OC at or above the max for stage 1. Otherwise customers would complain they had spent extra money for nothing. The cost of requesting it now could be prohibitive at this point in the process.

I also suspect DS uses binned cpu's for stage 2 as the trial and error of attempting to get those speeds would likely result in having to test and replace different chips to obtain the desired result. Which is not in any way an indictment of DS as it would add additional time to builds, not to mention extra tech time expense for DS.

I did email Alex to see if he can check into what exactly is happening.

The bottom line is if they could obtain a stable OC around 4.5GHz with good thermals at a reasonable voltage I'd be happy as a clam Smile

Edited by Wholly_Knight - 09 Nov 2019 at 8:59pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 9:21pm
If you don’t ask DS what they would charge for upgrading to a Stage 2 now, you’ll never know it was only the $99...lol.     

Maybe they could bin some of the more common lesser cost processors, but I think not yours... They will work it out and run it long enough to be very sure it’s stable.
No worries....

Quote Wholly_Knight Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 8:06pm
It will probably be fine as you say though it can be difficult not to be a bit concerned.

I'm not certain that I'll go ahead with the stage 2 request. I did some research and it seems that the X299 processors tend to run quite a bit hotter than I thought. Apparently enough so that pushing most any of them above the middle 4's would I think likely run into custom loop territory. I'm really more in the market for a computer than a toaster Big%20Smile  You might be able to do okay with an AIO with a 360mm radiator like the Corsair h150i but unfortunately DS doesn't currently offer one. I may check and see what the build team would advise.

Thanks for your help and advice HockeyBuck.

Edited by Wholly_Knight - 10 Nov 2019 at 8:07pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 8:23pm
Lumos can fit the Corsair 360mm AIO Cooler in the front!    
You can also ask DS how much and what if any delay would there be to get the Corsair 360 AIO..      DS can get anything you want if you ask and it’s available....    They do it all the time.   

Edited by HockeyBuck - 10 Nov 2019 at 8:26pm

Quote Wholly_Knight Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 1:08am
Yes, I came close to ordering a specific video card for my system, but decided against it.

The 360mm cooler has 3x120mm fans as opposed to the 280mm with 2x140mm  so I'm not sure there would be a lot of difference after all. Larger fans tend to be quieter at a given rpm.

I have one other question maybe you or someone could help me with. I ordered the Corsair Dominator 32GB kit which after looking at the specs on the configurator appears to be on only 2 sticks (2x16GB) which would run in dual channel mode. The 32Gb Vengeance kit is stated to be in a 4x8GB configuration, which would place it in full quad channel mode on this system. Even though the Dominator is 200MHz faster and considered a step above the Vengeance the extra performance would be more than offset by it being dual channel. I've seen some tests where there is a fairly significant difference between dual and quad channel in both games and video encoding. I'm hoping the configurator is wrong and the modules will be in 4 sticks. I'll need to check and find out for certain before the system ships for sure.
Setitimer View Drop Down

Quote Setitimer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 9:29am
The Dominator 32GB kit is definitely two sticks, I have one here.  This is the exact kit:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/DOMINATOR%C2%AE-PLATINUM-32GB-%282-x-16GB%29-DDR4-DRAM-3200MHz-C16-Memory-Kit/p/CMD32GX4M2C3200C16

Real world difference between 4-channel and 2-channel is minimal.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2982965/quad-channel-ram-vs-dual-channel-ram-the-shocking-truth-about-their-performance.html?page=3

Edited by Setitimer - 11 Nov 2019 at 9:37am

Quote Wholly_Knight Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 10:44am
Thanks for the info Setitimer and for the link.

Here's one that shows that doesn't always work in practice even in gaming, much less work station applications::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EM0g0Szg_U

Admittedly, those are fairly extreme examples.

There are others I could link, but would need time to find them. I do streaming and video encoding and there are multiple posts on the OBS forums regarding always using quad channel when available on platforms like X299 and Threadripper which support it.

I just assumed that buying an X299 system it would be configured with quad channel. we all know what happens when we assume. Not much I can do about that now Disappointed

Edited by Wholly_Knight - 11 Nov 2019 at 10:56am
Setitimer View Drop Down

Quote Setitimer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 6:02am
Originally posted by Wholly_Knight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EM0g0Szg_U

Admittedly, those are fairly extreme examples.

Assuming it's a legit comparison -- same brand and quality of RAM etc -- this is still not a real world test.  He is playing these games on High settings at 1080p with a 1080ti.  So the GPU isn't being taxed and neither is the CPU.  The only remaining bottleneck is the RAM, so yeah, in this very specific case it makes a difference.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 2:33pm
The configurator is not 100% accurate, as it's difficult to maintain so many options and configurations as they all blend in so many platforms.

All X299 chipset systems ship in quad-channel memory configurations (4 sticks), even if the specifications of the memory says the kit is for two sticks.

We want to make sure you get the best system possible, trust us on that one, we won't make such compromises.
 Post Reply Post Reply