FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sound BlasterX AE-5 Help Needed

Post Date: 2021-06-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NubbyShober View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote NubbyShober Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Sound BlasterX AE-5 Help Needed
    Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 2:44am
Am on my 2nd DStorm gaming rig, built around a RTX2080S

It works great (mostly) except for the Sound BlasterX AE-5 sound card, which has given me problems when Windows updates--3 times in the last year.

The current problem is extremely high headphone sound output, despite setting volume to 2% on Windows taskbar--which is also same Sound Blaster Command (in other words, when volume level is raised/lowered on taskbar, it is mirrored in S.Blaster Command, and vice-versa)--but has no actual effect on volume output.

Basically, the volume is stuck at 'very high'; and can't be lowered--or raised.

How do I fix this problem?

It's my first sound card, for surround sound while gaming with shooters--and a big mistake, as it's very sophisticated, with poor support, and more appropriate for professional sound mixers, musicians, DJ's etc.
"Get out of it before you get into it"
-Frank Zappa
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 3:54am
It's rare that anyone orders a soundcard here these days. I'm afraid you might not get much response. You could try DS support. If it's a problem unknown to them, they will have the sources to find out. Sound Blaster support and forums are no help?

In the worst case, just pull/disable the card. Common wisdom here is the onboard audio Codecs available on motherboards for the past several years are quite a bit better than just adequate. You could look into your mobo's specs and see what you have.   
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 6:50am
I can't answer your question as I have not had a sound card in my last 3 PCs, over 15 years!

The only reason you might want one is if you are running speakers and usually I would not recommend one unless you are running a 5.1 speaker set up.

I game with headsets and am currently using a Razer product. They are not the only good headset suppliers out there and THEIR software does a fantastic job of emulating 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound.

My suggestion, if you can't get your problem worked out with your sound card is to pull it or just disable it and go get a good headset of your choice.
Old Gamers Never Die!
 Post Reply Post Reply