FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sound Cards, Which do I buy?

Post Date: 2010-01-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Newbieevgaati View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Newbieevgaati Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Sound Cards, Which do I buy?
    Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 3:07am
Dear Forum users,

I thought I'd take a moment during my remorse, baby is back in the DS hospital gettin check out.  Hope it is just new father over concerns.  Well you know how we are over protective of our young.  Well lets hope my little ds (girl) is okay.
       Sound Cards:  I have seen a number of posts on this subject and thought I'd show off my lack of knowledge on this subject.  I recent did some research for an AVR Audio video reciever, it recieves signals and distributes them to audio & video equipment, currently known as home theater systems.  Mine is not a home theater, but a mid level television sound system.  TV/AVR/SPEAKERS
     To start I will make every effort to avoid trade names.  Model numbers change and the specification on model A might differ form model a.  So, "BUYER BE WARE"  know before you go.  That is not to say making a trip to your local sound system shop is a bad idea actually it is advisable, and even necceary.
     .Are you looking for the highest quality sound from your Blueray or DVD/CD's.  Or are the sources music used on IPOD's, MP3 (these use smaller compressed files) hence they lack the info stored on say a New Blueray disk (or a high end CD, HDCD etc.. )  Do you want surround sound or just simple stereo? 
     Suround sound is for movie TV experience.  Although gamers are finding it useful.  Stereo is for music, while music does sound awesome on a 7.1 suround system.  The first number here a 7 refers to the number and setup of the speakers, the .1 is for the subwoffer. (This really is important for the movie theater effect) I would recommend a sub over say more surround speakers.  But many factors need to be measured/weighed 
     Budget, Room size shape, accustics, Usage (suround theater, movie, or stereo music hard core enthusiasts.) Or gamer.  Or a high bred of the preceeding.  So, a 2.1 system would be two speakers, and a subwoofer, next 3.1 three speakers and a subwoofer, 5.1, 7.1 etc adding additional sound stage and movie effects.  As you'd guess the larger the system the more that is involved, from the source to the speakers and positioning. The odd number in the above grouping is for the center speaker. usually the voice, the others add presence, and can even add a sense of movement.  
     So, if you want a sound card.  You need to complete the above exercise to get the best card for your needs and usage and most of all your enjoyment.

Since this post was no where near long enough I wanted to add a few things,
for sound systems, items of import, THD total Harmonic distortion, Watt Meaurement of electrical power typically volts time amps = wattage, Ohms resistance speaker quality parameter, number of channels can mean more than one thing but currently it refers to 2.1, 3.1, 3.1, 7.1,9.1 suround systems.

Refer to DST4ME posts on monitors, most manufactures make it difficult to compare stats.  They use different parameter to calculate watts, THD, and the other statistics.    So, go and listen to the ones your interested in if possible.

And I spend a little time on Wikki  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_card
Cnet, FudBig%20smile, Audiophile, etc.

Bill

Once you know what your requirements are then a sound, sound card investment
can be in your reach.  Like GPU's, CPU's sound cards have varying degrees of capabilities.  If your on a limited budget and have modest audio equipment, then a high end sound card might not be your best choice, where if you had a highend audio system, a two channel mid priced card, would as well not be the best fit. Are you content with the stock stereo in your car/home or did you go all out and install a custom system?    

Goodluck

Edited by Newbieevgaati - 20 Jan 2010 at 3:24am
Thanks from your loving
Forum W.....
 Post Reply Post Reply