Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
steve101 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote steve101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Speakers
    Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 1:03am
Hi,

I am planning to get "Klipsch B-3 Bookshelf speakers) instead of those crappy computer speakers. What kind of sound card would be best for this quality of speakers?

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 1:05am
surround or stereo?
steve101 View Drop Down

Quote steve101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 10:37am
I think stereo
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 10:38am
razer does great with that.
Kliebor2 View Drop Down

Quote Kliebor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 11:07am
I love my Razer Barracuda AC-1... great sound card, but I do not use surround either just 2.1 stereo... I have seen a few issues on these boards with configuring 5.1 surround in games with the Razer.

Dave Ouch
Digital Storm 950Si - Q9450 Quad Core @ 3 Ghz
Dual PNY OC2 GTX 560Ti
8 Gigabytes DDR2/800
2 Western Digital 500 GB SATAII 7200 RPM HD
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 11:09am
ya razer doesn't support eax over 2.0 so it won't work with most games to produce surround
steve101 View Drop Down

Quote steve101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 2:35pm
I think I will go with Razer. I do not really care about surround, it is very hard to position 5.1 anyway. I think 2.1 is plenty.
Does anyone know would I need an amplifier if I get those speakers since they are not per se made for computers?

RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 2:40pm
If the speakers are normal home audio speakers which they do sound like your not going to be able to just hook them up to the computer.  You could however get a home audio reciever hook them up to that then hook into the sound card through the reciever so they have power.  Depending on the connections of the reciever you may need to hook it up through a single 3.5mm headphone jack.  There is another way to do it and thats if your sound card has a spdif port. 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 2:42pm
ya connect PC to receiver then from receiver to speakers
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

ya connect PC to receiver then from receiver to speakers
 ahahahha Embarrassed
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 2:47pm
I was just saying that I agree with you. just bakcing up the idea
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 2:49pm
Klipsch 5.1 Ultra speakers were the best speakers i've ever had. Amazing sound quality.  http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-ultra-5-1.aspx

However, I don't think they make them anymore.  And both sets I bought shorted out over the course of a year.

Right now I use Sony 5.1 speakers, which are still very nice.

I like surround sound for gaming.  Its neat to hear a helicopter coming from behind you in Crysis.
steve101 View Drop Down

Quote steve101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 3:57pm
Could someone recomment a home audio reciever? I am just totally clueless regarding that. It just basically supplies power for the speakers right?

Do you lose that sound quality that supposed to be there with the stereo speakers or is it worth going through that trouble?
steve101 View Drop Down

Quote steve101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 4:01pm
Mark you are correct Klipsch does not carry 5.1 anymore. They do have Promedia 2.1 speakers, which are supposed to be very good as well.

Maybe I should just get that. Do you have to mount some of the speakers on walls for the 5.1? to get the surround sound

Originally posted by MarkNY

Klipsch 5.1 Ultra speakers were the best speakers i've ever had. Amazing sound quality.  http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-ultra-5-1.aspx

However, I don't think they make them anymore.  And both sets I bought shorted out over the course of a year.

I like surround sound for gaming.  Its neat to hear a helicopter coming from behind you in Crysis.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by steve101

Mark you are correct Klipsch does not carry 5.1 anymore. They do have Promedia 2.1 speakers, which are supposed to be very good as well.

Maybe I should just get that. Do you have to mount some of the speakers on walls for the 5.1? to get the surround sound

Originally posted by MarkNY

yes you need to.  Without the speakers positioned from where you are going to sit your not going to get the full effect.  Center should be in the middle of the r and left front speakers and the rear surrounds should be to the right and left either behind you or to the either side of where you are sitting.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 4:14pm
if your really set on using these home audio speakers with your set up you can go and listen to different recievers at some stores or do some research online as to what reciever would work for you.  Make sure the reciever has a spdif connection on the back.  Honestly though there are alot of very solid sounding 2.1 systems made for the computer out there you could buy so you can avoid the headache of going to buy a reciever etc.
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 5:13pm
I don't have mine mounted, just positioned around me according to the 5.1 speaker setup (ie left on the left).

I didn't do the best job at positioning because of the way my room is laid out, but it does the job well enough.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 5:22pm
+1 they dont need to be mounted as long as theyre where they need to be
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2008 at 11:57pm
Steve101, what is your budget for your audio system? If you are looking for budget gear, I'd first consider something from Kloss audio. His stuff has always sounded great for the price, but I'm not sure what he's selling these days. Historically, budget audio has been dominated by British gear. They are simply the best bang for buck. This is for systems under $1000 to $2000. Anything above that budget and some of the US, German and other European companies come out on top. Most of the high-end gear simply cannot be called a "good deal" unless you're going for the best at any cost... LOL!

I've worked in the audio industry for years. I've done everything from building loudspeakers, doing pro installs, consulting for high end audio stores, and reviewing equipment. So, if you care to talk audio, let me know!

Cat aka Dayna B
steve101 View Drop Down

Quote steve101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 1:14am
Hi Dayna, my budget is somewhere from 100 to $250. I am not looking for power, just for quality.

I think it might be out of my budget to try to use stereo speakers, since I would need to get an AV Receiver and thats alone more than $200. Unless you know a way around that :).

I was thinking of going with a 2.1 system. I have zeroed it down to Klipsch Promedia 2.1. Superb sound quality and on ebay for 110 right now.

Let me know what you think
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 1:16am
Originally posted by steve101

Hi Dayna, my budget is somewhere from 100 to $250. I am not looking for power, just for quality.

I think it might be out of my budget to try to use stereo speakers, since I would need to get an AV Receiver and thats alone more than $200. Unless you know a way around that :).

I was thinking of going with a 2.1 system. I have zeroed it down to Klipsch Promedia 2.1. Superb sound quality and on ebay for 110 right now.

Let me know what you think

its def out your price range to use hom audio speakers. Just pick up a quality 2.1 system made for the comp
steve101 View Drop Down

Quote steve101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 4:21pm

Sorry, did not want to create another thread. If I go with D-link wireless, since I have a wireless router, would that be an internal PCI card? Would the regular port for the cable still be there?

Thank you.

Axel Daemon View Drop Down

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 4:43pm
Is it me, or trying to create the best audio system, is just as expensive as say... three GTX 280s and even MORE than that?  Lol.
"People believe in people who believe in others."
steve101 View Drop Down

Quote steve101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 4:54pm
its tooo expensive, Klipsch speakers will do :)
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Axel Daemon

Is it me, or trying to create the best audio system, is just as expensive as say... three GTX 280s and even MORE than that?  Lol.

try even more.  Quality speakers once they to start getting in the home audio range are 2k a pair+ easily

Edited by RiceEatin2000GT - 20 Oct 2008 at 9:02pm
steve101 View Drop Down

Quote steve101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 11:59am
Sorry, did not want to create another thread. If I go with D-link wireless, since I have a wireless router, would that be an internal PCI card? Would the regular port for the cable still be there?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 12:32pm
Yes that would be an internal card, your lan is on the mombo so yes it will be there.
 Post Reply Post Reply