FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SSD install on Lynx level 1? Also a few issues.

Post Date: 2021-11-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jags View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jags Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: SSD install on Lynx level 1? Also a few issues.
    Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 12:49am
Hello all,

I bought this pc back in 2019 which has the 1050 GTX and 2200G CPU, I have 2 issues with it, firstly is it possible to install a SSD? I personally want an SSD to improve game loading times etc and with money really being tight upgrading seems like the best option instead of buying a brand new pc.

My first issues is that the graphics card fan rattles when at low speeds and medium speeds, if you put the fan around 90 speed or higher the rattle completely goes away possibly a fan bearing going out? though it's been a few months now with that noise.

Secondly another issue I have is with my RGB lights, another issue that has been around for months, my RGB worked fine until a a year later when the remote stopped working and a tiny portion of the strip stopped also working, battery voltage checked and it's perfectly fine. Tried pointing it everywhere in the case and at this point I'm assuming something failed in the pc.

My warranty obviously has expired by now as I got a 1 year parts warranty and 3 year labor warranty, ideas on the SSD question and my 2 issues?

Edited by Jags - 11 Nov 2021 at 12:53am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 5:19am
Your motherboard is equipped with an M.2 slot which will allow for a super-fast M.2 NVMe SSD. You can shop for any capacity you need. Just plug it into the slot and have your BIOS recognize it. No cable, no wiring. It runs off the PCIe bus like a video card, and should be up to 5 times faster than the SATA SSD you have. I don't recall exactly what came in the Lynx 1 back then, but your SSD may not even occupy that slot. If it does not, then just plug and play. You will want to clone your Windows drive to the faster SSD so all your operations from there are speeded up.

If the SSD you have is in the slot, You will have to copy everything on it to an external drive, pull it, install the new M.2 drive, and re-install your Windows drive "C" on the new SSD. There are plenty of instructions online how to do that. You also have lifetime support from DS. It may take a little time to coordinate with tech support, but they can walk you through the process.

If that seems too much, the other way to go is simply buy and add a 2 1/4" SATA SSD to your system. Any capacity you want. Some motherboards come with an indent in the back where you can attach an SSD. The cabling you need: a power cable you plug in and a SATA cable that goes from the new drive around the front to a SATA connection on the mobo are found back here. If you don't have an indent, then there is also a "drive cage"-some slots where your regular mechanical hard drive is located. The HDD has the same two plug-ins the new SSD will have, so just wire it the same. Again, lots of online help. If you get another SATA drive, you won't have to move your "C" drive. If it suits you, it might not cost a fortune if you bought the SSD at Best Buy or whatever and had them install it.

It does sound like you may have a bad bearing on your GPU. Not much you can do about that AFAIK. Get in touch with DS support and see what they say. It's a terrible time to go shopping for a new GPU, but it seems to be in your future. The longer you can wait on that, the better it should be pricewise and supply-wise.

The remote has a disk battery inside that may be dead. You should know the light strip is just a very inexpensive strip of LEDs that DS used to just give away, it cost them so little. They inevitably give up. They are available in the marketplace, but I don't think I'd bother. The RGB fans should have lasted at least this long, though. Have they? You can replace those quite easily if you need to.   
Jags View Drop Down

Quote Jags Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 5:22pm
Thank you for your reply, I tested the battery with a multimeter and it was 3 volts so I'm assuming it's not the battery and if the light strips are that cheap might just replace it later on.

In what location on the motherboard is the slot for the SSD? I believe actually I still have part warranties but not sure how long MSI's warranty is on the graphics card.

Anyways this 1050 is getting tired and probably will need an upgrade sooner than later so once it goes out might be the perfect time to upgrade.

Edited by Jags - 11 Nov 2021 at 5:22pm
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 6:33pm
Jags,

Cretea is an excellent technical resource! This is also true of most Digital Storm Forum members that are Verified Owners. He helped me get my configuration laid out the way I wanted it.

I am watching this thread as I learn a lot just watching the Pros in the Forum help their fellow Gamers!
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 4:19am
The M.2 slot can be in several places on the mobo, but will often be below the CPU either just above or below the PCIe slots (where the GPU goes). I don't know if yours is populated with your primary drive, but probably not on a Lynx 1. I think they had a standard 2 1/4" SSD. I know the more recent mobos have one slot. I'm pretty sure that goes back as far as your model. Here's a populated slot:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fbasic-tutorials.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F04%2FM2.png&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fbasic-tutorials.com%2Ftutorials%2Fhardware-tutorials%2Fthe-m-2-slot-what-is-it-and-how-caniuseit%2F&tbnid=CFaOh5buXGBNXM&vet=12ahUKEwi4tKz_35L0AhUCnlMKHV1lBtgQMygCegUIARC7Ag..i&docid=Z0UZkPRFLw-knM&w=640&h=421&q=m.2%20slot%20motherboard&ved=2ahUKEwi4tKz_35L0AhUCnlMKHV1lBtgQMygCegUIARC7Ag

If you have the manual for your motherboard, it should tell you. If not, you may be able to look up your motherboard model online.

Def want to check your GPU warranty. I looked around for GPUs yesterday. Boy are they hard to come by! My favorite upgrade from your card is a 1660 SUPER. Used to be cheaper than the 1660 Ti, and is just as good, but it looks like you may well be limited to what you can find. Watch out for scam sites. If it's a miraculous price, it's a scam! You can look into AMD GPUs in your class. They may be easier to get.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660S-Super-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/4056vs3649

If I were you, I'd ride that GPU as long as I could possibly could stand it, hoping for prices and supply to come back more in line. A 1660 Super is about $230 MSRP, but I saw them as high as $500+. Not worth it. If you can get anywhere near spring, I think you'll have a better shot.
Jags View Drop Down

Quote Jags Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 2:55pm
Thank you for your help, I defiantly be waiting for prices to come down, no way am I spending $500 on a graphics card that is not worth that.

By the looks of things this motherboard does not have the SSD slot, It does say it support's an SSD but does not have a slot.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 4:57am
Hmmm. Okay. I know the mobos that came with the Lynx 1 more recently, the 10th GEN Intel procs, had a slot. Sorry if I slipped up. You can easily check with DS just to make sure.

You can still add a SATA SSD that will help a lot. You just have to plug in a power cable and run a SATA cable to the mobo. Those should be behind your motherboard, probably tied in a bundle. It will be identical to the cabling on the storage you have. Might check with a local store to see if they can install one for you when you buy it there, otherwise, there's all the help I mentioned.

Good luck.   
 Post Reply Post Reply