FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SSD or quad core processor?

Post Date: 2010-09-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ssurf View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ssurf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: SSD or quad core processor?
    Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 7:40am
Hi, I'd like to ask you guys for your advice.

I'm using my computer mostly for development purposes in grad school, mostly visual studio/compilers and some OpenCL/CUDA stuff. In the evenings, I play a bit of games (2-3 hrs/week) and watch some movies in the evenings. I do lots of image editing in photoshop as well. I use a 27" 1920x1080 monitor.

My budget would be around $1750 before shipping and tax.

So I'm toying around with the idea of downgrading my processor from a quad core (i7 870) to a dual core (i5 655k) and using the $122 in savings to get a intel 40GB SSD for my boot drive instead. would this offer better performance for my computer in the long run?

I hate the long startup times for visual studio/word and the long compilation times, but then again I can't store my source code/assets on the SSD because of insufficient storage capacity.

Regardless, I'd love to hear any opinions on this. thanks!

If you spot any cost savings/tweaks for my build below, please let me know as well! thanks (:

My current build ($1741) [budget = ~$1750]
========================

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - SilverStone Raven 2
Processor: Intel Core i7 870 2.93GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D PRO P55 SLI (Intel P55 Chipset)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Digital Storm Certified (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology) (EVGA Brand)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)

Edited by ssurf - 05 Sep 2010 at 7:41am
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 6:24pm
whats killing you here is a TB drive and that asus board over the evga... also an 870 over an 860 which is no gain.. heres what i suggest:
this is under your budget with everything you wanted in it, if you want to go back up to the raven 2 for $80 thats your personal battle to fight Strong
ssurf View Drop Down

Quote ssurf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 7:53am
Hey ender, thanks for the very informative reply! I'm hoping to keep the rest of the configs as they are if possible. And I do need the 1TB of space.

My question is - which would you recommend if you could only get one -> i7 860 or the SSD?

Thanks =)
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 8:53am
eh, just depends on what you are doing
ssd will speed up your read/write and opening of programs,
i definitely wouldnt get the 2 core id at least get the 750 (or 760).... going up to an 860 from that really only gives you hyperthreading which makes your 4 cores function as 8... currently the extra cores are pretty unused, but i think/hope they will be

if you asked me, id spring for the 860, very easy to add an SSD later when they get a little more reasonably priced
 Post Reply Post Reply