FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SSD recommendations?

Post Date: 2012-12-05

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ricax View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 02 Dec 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 41
  Quote Ricax Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: SSD recommendations?
    Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 9:42am
Hi guys,
 
I'm in dire need of a new SSD to replace my current one and need some recommendations.  I made a mistake starting with a 40GB one and now it's nearly out of space.
 
I primarily looked at Samsung for their pricing and reliability. I'd like their 830 series but it's kinda hard to find for a reasonable price (missed the black Friday deals) now that the 840 is out.  I could go with the 840 though. I've read that the 830 performs a bit better but the difference is probably negligible.  I'm leaning towards the size of around 250GB.
 
My plan is to clone my current drive onto the new one and replace the old one outright.
 
I'm pretty new at this stuff so if I get just the drive, what cables would I need to get to plug everything in?  And can you guys also recommend cloning software?

Thanks everyone!
 
Back to Top
Orange7 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 24 Apr 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 776
  Quote Orange7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 10:34am
I can verify that the Intel 520's are great, I have yet to hear anything bad about the OCZ Agility 4's, and the Samsung 840 is an amazingly quick drive. Any of them should be good.
DS xm15 Stage 4
i7-3820 (2.7GHz/3.7GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GT 630, 1GB
240GB Intel 520
Back to Top
tju76 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 804
  Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 11:32am
Go with the Vertex 4 reliable fast and low priced compared to the overpriced samsung ssd
Back to Top
Ricax View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 02 Dec 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 41
  Quote Ricax Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 1:26pm
Thanks, guys. I'll look at both Intel and OCZ.
 
So I've seen stores selling just the bare-bones drive as well as a "desktop upgrade" kit.  Is it worth getting the kit, considering I've never replaced a hard drive before?  If not, what would I need to buy to hook up the new drive?
 
And cloning software?  Any recommendations?
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.078125 seconds.