FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ssd

Post Date: 2019-12-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Fmfracing82 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fmfracing82 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Ssd
    Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 9:58pm
How much is a bigger solid state drive. The one I got with my pc obviously isnt big enough lol
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 5:28am
If you can put an NVMe M.2 drive on your motherboard, it will be the speediest you can get. I recommend Samsung for super reliability and warranty. Shop them on Amazon or New Egg, etc. for the size you want/can afford. The most recent Samsung MVMe 970 PLUS at 500 GB is $100 on Amazon.

Prices are all over the place, but the latest from Samsung is the 970 series and PLUS is the newest iteration. 2.5 inch SSD's are SATA instead of NVMe, but are plenty fast for game storage, for example. They are generally larger capacity at lower prices.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 11:50am
Can you tell us what DS PC model you have, in particular what motherboard and what drives you currently have now? A little info would help us make some suggestions to help.   

Quote Fmfracing82 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 10:13pm
I got the third level lynx pc.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:02am
OK...Lynx Level 3 has an Intel H310 chipset motherboard and a 250 GB SATA III SSD FOR Drive 1 and a 2 TB SATA III hard Drive2.   That motherboard should have 2 ports for the small and 5 X faster M.2 NVME SSD drives that my forum pal Cretae mentioned.   These drives lay flat on the motherboard and merely plug into a port at one end...a single screw secures the other end.    They come in 500 GB, 1 TB and 2 TB sizes so a 1 TB size would be 4 times larger than your current drive 1.   Easy upgrade.   A Samsung Evo 970 Pro 1 TB M.2 NVME SS would be a wise choice.

Edited by HockeyBuck - 03 Jan 2020 at 1:02am

Quote Fmfracing82 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:38am
Thx

Quote Fmfracing82 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:51am
Could you possibly send me a link to what you would recommend pls? I looked em up and dont quite understand what the difference between what was showing up. I greatly appreciate your guys time
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 3:17am
This is the latest and fastest model from Samsung if you have decided you want a 1TB NVMe. We can definitely recommend this one. The PRO model costs more, but it's not necessarily better, just designed differently.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-Plus-MZ-V7S1T0B/dp/B07MFZY2F2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3OAJIQUUWEZVZ&keywords=1tb+samsung+970+evo&qid=1578050047&sprefix=1TB+Samsung%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-4

I can't seem to get the hyperlink to work. Just copy the link and "paste and go" to the Amazon page.

Edited by Cretae - 03 Jan 2020 at 3:22am

Quote Fmfracing82 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 9:57am
Thx guys I'll order that here in the next month or so. I currently can only have modern warfare on my ssd lol rest of the games are on the 2 Tb harddrive.

Quote Fmfracing82 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 1:31pm
so after looking at the motherboard i think i found the slot that the ssd will slide into... but on the motherboard there is 3 holes.. none of which have threads to screw the ssd down to... does that happen to come with the ssd?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 7:46pm
If your motherboard doesn't have the M.2 SSD stand-offs mounted (check your build parts box), you can order M.2 stand-offs and screws on amazon as well...

https://www.amazon.com/sk=M.2+mount+and+screws&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Quote Fmfracing82 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 8:44pm
ok i found the stand offs and screws... also found the m.2 anchor that came in the parts box... thx guys.. I think I am set.. only thing now is do I have to change any settings considering I already have a ssd and a hard drive hooked up? or do I just install this bad boy and good to go

Edited by Fmfracing82 - 12 Jan 2020 at 8:57pm

Quote Fmfracing82 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 12:12am
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

If your motherboard doesn't have the M.2 SSD stand-offs mounted (check your build parts box), you can order M.2 stand-offs and screws on amazon as well...

is there anything I need to change as far as settings go when I install this new ssd considering I already have a ssd and a 2 tb hard drive?
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 2:37am
Originally posted by Fmfracing82

Originally posted by HockeyBuck

is there anything I need to change as far as settings go when I install this new ssd considering I already have a ssd and a 2 tb hard drive?

Some of us are watching closely, as our upgraded/added SSDs (1TB) are already filling up and may need even more storage....

Quote Fmfracing82 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 2:58am
I really over looked this part lol.. I knew how important the ssd was compared to a hard drive but was so excited I figured I would only be playing maybe one game and would put the others that I might play on the hard drive... what I should have done is went big on the ssd and saved myself this trouble lol.. its been years since I have built a pc and so much has changed.. I just want to get all the info I need so I don't run in to any problems.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 5:14am

Honestly the question is too open-ended. If everything goes according to plan, Windows will see the drive and you can configure it as needed (if needed) in "Disk Management". There are many guides for this on You Tube and Google.

If Windows DOESN'T see the drive, it's not that unusual, and there are a laundry list of fixes depending on why that is. Sometimes the new drive just has to be formatted to show up, for example.

Just install it, and look for it in "Devices and Drives" If it's there, with a drive letter assigned, you're golden and you can go to "Disk Management" From there, you can format (if needed), partition, change drive letter, name it, etc. if memory serves.

The DS Lifetime Support is no joke, and they will help you on the phone if you really get stuck. Honest.

... fixt the broken quote...

Edited by Snaike - 15 Jan 2020 at 11:54am

Quote Fmfracing82 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Cretae

Honestly the question is too open-ended. If everything goes according to plan, Windows will see the drive and you can configure it as needed (if needed) in "Disk Management". There are many guides for this on You Tube and Google.

If Windows DOESN'T see the drive, it's not that unusual, and there are a laundry list of fixes depending on why that is. Sometimes the new drive just has to be formatted to show up, for example.

Just install it, and look for it in "Devices and Drives" If it's there, with a drive letter assigned, you're golden and you can go to "Disk Management" From there, you can format (if needed), partition, change drive letter, name it, etc. if memory serves.

The DS Lifetime Support is no joke, and they will help you on the phone if you really get stuck. Honest.

... fixt the broken quote...

Thx I really appreciate all your guys help. I didn't know if DS support would help with my own personal upgrade... I figured that fell in the lines of problems with pc or upgrading through them... good to know thanks a ton again. I will be pulling the trigger on this SSD this month especially since its only 199 right now. looking forwards to getting this installed

Edited by Fmfracing82 - 16 Jan 2020 at 12:02am
Rwnielsen View Drop Down

Quote Rwnielsen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 6:17pm

I really over looked this part lol.. I knew how important the ssd was compared to a hard drive but was so excited I figured I would only be playing maybe one game and would put the others that I might play on the hard drive... what I should have done is went big on the ssd and saved myself this trouble lol.. its been years since I have built a pc and so much has changed.. I just want to get all the info I need so I don't run in to any problems.

I still have a 10 gB drive I bought for my computer years ago thinking, at the time, I'll never fill this up!
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Rwnielsen

I still have a 10 gB drive I bought for my computer years ago thinking, at the time, I'll never fill this up!

Now that games are coming in at 110GB downloads (looking at you, Red Dead Redemption 2) gamers are now going to be better served in purchasing storage in 10 TB range instead.

I recall the first drive I purchased with that "wow, that's HUGE, I'll never fill it up" feeling.. 256MB circa 1995(?)   

Edited by Snaike - 26 Jan 2020 at 12:03am
Shaneyhamps View Drop Down

Quote Shaneyhamps Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 9:52pm
Yep M.2 is the fastest and cleanest looking among the 3 plus it doesn't use cd's so probably it has a longer life than HDD and saves more space than SSD

https://www.adorama.com/RecommendFor/siiscm20014s.html

Lowest price m.2 adapter and so on.

I actually I bought one last month and still working until now.

Edited by Shaneyhamps - 17 Feb 2020 at 9:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply