SSDs - Wait for Sandforce?

Post Date: 2010-04-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: SSDs - Wait for Sandforce?
    Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 10:00pm
I've finally figured out the reason why my DS rig takes so long to boot, my HDD simply isn't capable of running all the stuff I have at boot at the instantaneous rate all my other components operate at, heh. I'm using a 10k rpm velociraptor currently, which is already ridiculously fast for its class, but it's somehow not cutting it, so I'm starting to look at SSDs. Sandforce is supposedly coming out, anyone have a date on a real, standard 2.5" bay SSD? Any Sandforces with SATA-600/SATA III?

Or, is it really just worth it to pop in a Intel X25 for now...

Oh, and, for a 2.5" SSD, it would be able to work in both a desktop AND a laptop, right?

(If you've been reading my other posts and wondering why the heck I'm looking at so many parts, well, I bought a simple rig starting off from a budget, and now I'm considering what to add on. Not all at once, I'm just looking at what's worth to get at the moment out of all of them, and also how exactly to pick one in the future...)
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 12:56am
there are plenty of bays you can fit 3.5" or 2.5" drives in.

your problem is that you have too many apps set to start with the os and you don't need all those apps to start with the os, even a fast ssd will still be bug down by all the startup apps, use CCleaner and clean up your startup apps.

right now most of the ssds are 2.5", which is the size of the drive for laptops but as you know many are running them with a desktop, the size does not matter, you just get a 3.5" adapter if you want to use them in a desktop, the obsidian's hotswap bays fit both 3.5" and 2.5", our you can get hotswap bays to put in your case that fit both or either.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Apr 2010 at 12:58am
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 7:24am
well, i've managed to control m startup with r2 studios' program Startup Delayer, so everything i have a startup has a delay on it. disk usage is at 100% though, so i cant really run anything till the entire startup runs its course. i figured the faster read time of an ssd would speed up theprocess. 
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply