FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stage 2-1 last question

Post Date: 2007-10-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
donkeypunch View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Stage 2-1 last question
    Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 4:01pm
Went into stage 2 today. I hope they run the stress test over the weekends. Tongue I had one last question. Im getting Windows Vista Home Premium-32 bit with 2 gigs of Corsair PC2 6400 Ram. I've been reading that 4 gigs wont show up in 32 bit OS's, but that Vista kind of requires 2 gigs of memory. Should I add another 2 gigs? Will it load programs faster and be utilized by anything or is it a waste? Even if the entire 4 gigs isnt recognized, wont some of it be used? Really dont want the 64 bit OS but want as much memory that will be used. Thanks!
thecomplex View Drop Down

Quote thecomplex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 4:28pm
Congrats! From what I've read and heard (although I don't have personal experience with Vista - yet) the general consensus seems to be that 2GB of RAM should be more than enough to operate smoothly, even with demanding games and other software.

The issue with 32-bit operating systems is that 4GB is the maximum system memory they are able to address, including any and all hardware in your configuration. So, if you put in 4GB of RAM, and you have (for the sake of argument, a 512MB graphics card, your system is now using 512MB of its total addressable memory to keep track of/utilize your graphics card's memory, and now only using 3.5GB of your Corsair sticks. If you had for instance, SLI 8800GTXs, thats like 1.5 GB of video memory, leaving your system only able to address about 2.5 GB of your RAM.

So, it won't be totally wasted, but some of it does go unused in a 32-bit OS. Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I feel like I've heard it explained enough now to take a crack at it Smile

Chris
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.52GHz
4GB DDR2 Corsair 1066MHz Dominator
(2) 150GB WD Raptor (10K RPM)
(1) 120GB Maxtor (7200RPM)
nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
Vista Home Premium 64

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 4:59pm
Thats kind of what I've been reading as well, but getting mixed answers. Everyone seems to be on the same page as far as the 4GB max, but how much of it is actually used is what confuses me. From what you say, your GPU goes towards your system ram? Right now I have the 768MB GTX, so if I put in 4 gigs I would most likely see about 3 gigs?

That was kind of another question I had, would it be worthwhile to install a pair of 512's to give me a total of 3gigs? I would have 4 slots filled with 1GBx2 and 512GBx2.  So its either stick with just the 2 gig's, get 3 gigs-but not sure if having different memory configs would mess anything up, or just go with 4 gb/s and hope for the best. Its rough trying to read on whats best with Vista, some say 4 GB's is the sweet spot, others say you need 2 GB's minimum, while others say 2 GB's is just fine. Decisions decisions! Geek

Quote thecomplex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 5:07pm
Yeah - unless I'm mistaken the GPU memory goes towards the total addressable system memory. I don't know what other hardware has RAM that would push this down further, but that's it as I understand it.

I went with 4GB, but will also be running Vista 64. Had I chosen a 32-bit OS, I probably still would have gone with 4 gigs since, while the total 4 gigs would not be useable, my system would still make use of a good deal more than 2.

It would be funny if I'm totally incorrect and just going on and on as if I know sh*t.

Chris
Vista Home Premium 64

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 5:14pm
Lmao! LOL  I wouldnt care-just trying to get different takes on things-or if anyone already has 4GB's using Vista 32bit and what their experiance is. I almost decided to go the 64 bit route-the driver issues is the only thing that scared me away, although I dont think theres many programs I use that dont have 64bit driver support. Thats one thing I do like about M$, you can upgrade Vista versions down the road. I definitly need to pick up another copy of XP before they stop selling them though.

Your computers a beast-very nice specs! Did you put those raptors in a raid array?

Quote thecomplex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 5:51pm
Thanks! No - they aren't raided. One of them will be for my OS, the other for Games and Audio Editing/Recording programs. I have another hard drive from an older PC (about 200GB) that I will put in for mass storage - photos, docs, backed up music files, etc.

I almost wish I would have gone with a 74GB Raptor and a 150GB, since the one for the OS is probably overkill. I can't wait to get this thing though - I'm going out of my mind :)

Chris
Vista Home Premium 64

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 6:44pm
I am going with almost the same setup, I ordered one 150GB Raptor and one 500GB for storage. I then have two 500GB drives on my old computer that I want to use to stream to my TV. I was thinking the same as you that 150GB is alot for just the OS and main proggys so I think im going to partition the Raptor and have 2 OS's-Vista and XP Pro. May even throw Ubuntu on there for sh!ts and giggles.

I hear ya on the wait-some days never end! At first, my video cards fan gave out and was stuck using my laptop-no fun for watching movies on that. i since replaced the video card so I at least have something to hold me over now. Big%20smile

Well, I re-read Kelly's article on memory (very informative) but im still stuck. Im still not entirely sure how the FSB maching will work once OC'ing comes into play and trying to run them in a 1:1 configuration, havent done the math yet, but I know 1033mhz would be way too high. Its funny, I ran across Yahoo Widgets today. I cant believe I never tried these things before lol. They had all kinds of cool sidebar widgets. I decided to try the cpu and memory usage meter. It turns out while I was unraring a file, splitting an avi file, and surfing the web was only using %52 of my memory and about %38 of my cpu. Im only running 1GB of ram and a 3Ghz P4 processor on XP. I think i'll just stck with the 2GB's on Vista and run these little widgets and see where I stand from there.

Edited by donkeypunch - 05 Oct 2007 at 8:39pm
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 9:41pm
Well all intel processors are quad pumped meaning 1333 MHz is 333MHz. All of the Core 2 has locked multipliers while the Core 2 Extreme has an unlocked multiplier (it is why they are overclocking monsters priced at $999).

The multiplier is a way to make the processor faster without increasing the FSB. Most Intel processors have a multiplier of 9.

This is how the speed of the processor is calculated..

For example... E6850 1333MHz / 4 = 333 MHz x 9 = 3.0GHz

Another example.. Q6600 1066MHz / 4 = 266 MHz x 9 = 2.4GHz

So 667MHz ram would be fine for running these processors at stock speed.

To overclock the E6850 or Q6600, you would have to increase the FSB because you can't change the multipliers (they are locked). So you would need higher speed ram to match the FSB.

You would have to raise the FSB of the Q6600 to 1444MHz to get it to 3.2GHz. 800 MHz ram would be ideal for that.

To overclock the E6850 to 3.7Ghz, you need to raise the FSB to 1666MHz, so you would need 1066MHz ram for that.

still confused?

The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 9:59pm
Thats what is confusing to me. I only tinkered with OC'ing on AMD chips way back in the day and memory wasnt involved with unlocked multipliers. Couldnt have been easier. Now with memory latency timings, locked multipliers, linked memory..gets a bit overwhelming when you jump in!

So im guessing you would have to have your memory unlinked-so would it matter as much between the 667 and 800MHz ram? I thought the 667 had better OC headroom?

Like to get a 3Ghz OC on Q6600-could set CPU FSB at 333x9 with memory FSB at 667? Or would 800 work better since its unlinked anyway? I was trying to keep it 1:1 but think I would need a much higher cpu OC, like 3.4Ghz?

And im still completely lost as to how tightening up memory timings has that much of an impact in performance. And if I decide to get another 2GBs of vram-wouldnt I have to adjust for that? Either adjust the memory fsb settings or up the voltage? My main thing was trying to keep my memory and cpu FSB linked-but dont think thats going to happen as its too much of an OC. I have much reading to do lol.

Edited by donkeypunch - 05 Oct 2007 at 10:08pm
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 10:22pm
1:1 is optimal but 1:2, 4:5, etc won't kill you in performance.

Here's a memory article to get you started on reading

http://techreport.com/articles.x/8966/1
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 10:31pm
I was just in the process of reading how memory with a 1033 fsb may be too high to get a 1:1 with the Q6600, 800mhz is doable-but I would still think the 667mhz would be optimal on OC'ing to 3Ghz. I mean the price between 667 and 800mhz sticks are minimal so its no big deal.  But when I do the match- wouldn't I have to lower the fsb of my 800mhz memory to get a 1:1 with my cpu at a 333 FSB?

I bookmaked that article Sky and will read it first thing tomorrow. I really do appreciate these links-im like a sponge! But for now-it's time to hit the hay and dream of integers-latency and timings oh my! LOL See you guys tomorrow morning-thank again on that link sky. Smile
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 12:18am

Here's another link:

The first part is a little bit dated, but it does start off in *super* basic terms, which was perfect for me when I started trying to learn more about this stuff.
commast View Drop Down
  Quote commast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 1:20am
Here's a screen shot from a past article in Maximum PC:

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 11:52am
thetechreport article had alot of interesting information. I always though the most important thing when looking for fast memory was the cas latency-but those charts are showing the command rate plays the bigger role-in some cases. I never even knew what those numbers were, the -T and 2T stuff. Embarrassed  It looks like memory timings and latency doesnt play a huge role in multimedia, multitasking, photo editing which is the majority of what ill be doing--good to hear! I cant get over the price difference he explained at the end, its crazy. Off to read those other related articles on the page, good stuff. Thats why I was asking these memory questions-the same Corsair 800mhz memory thats coming in my  machine is on sale at an online vendor-a 2gig set for 50 bucks after rebate, cant beat it!

On to the directron article. I browsed the first page and that looks like it has some good information that im looking for. That should explain the relation between memory-cpu-keeping 1:1 ratio on fsb etc. Looks like an easy read and will certainly read it in a bit. Thanks Tyler-much appreciated.

Thanks for that article commast. I found out how many different types of TWIN2X2048-6400 there were yesterday when looking to buy another 2 gigs. I found 3 or 4 different versions-some varying greatly in price. I always thought 800mhz memory was all you needed to know, of course memory makers couldnt make it that simple though, heh!

Off to do some more reading and try and find out why back in the day you were able to OC an AMD chip and tinker with the multiplies and cpu without touching memory. I understand Intel locked their multiplies except for the xtreme series-but why do the cpu and memory have to be linked and overclocked together? Ok, gonna read the rest of those articles, maybe answer some of that stuff. Thanks again guys. Smile

Just got done reading the article on directron. That helped alot on understanding the whole 1:1 thing and keeping the FSB matched up on both processor and memory.  Ok, the FSB on my processor is 1066 and 800mhz for my memory.   Since the multipliers are locked we bump up the 266mhz system clock, which has a multiplier of 9--yes? Now when we OC, are we adjusting the FSB speeds at all on either the memory or processor? I mean is there anyway to close the gap in the FSB difference between memory and cpu, 800 and 1033 respectively? I guess theres an option for that in the bios to adjust your memory speed separately then? I never oc'ed memory.  And if you cant get these matched is this why you unlink them in the Bios?  I think i'll get this alot better once I see whats available in the Bios settings.

Edited by donkeypunch - 06 Oct 2007 at 7:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply