Post Date: 2019-05-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jethro View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jethro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Streaming/Gaming PC
    Posted: 10 May 2019 at 4:45pm
Your Budget: Best bang for my buck. Cheaper would be better, but willing to spend a little more if I have to.

2. Expectations: Streaming to Twitch and gaming some as well.

3. Usage: I want to be able to steam to Twitch, using OBS, while playing music and having other programs up at the same time. Also I'd like to able to play games on it. Fortnite, GTA, and others.

Thank you!

HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2019 at 6:01pm
Welcome to the forum jethro! We don't know what resolution or monitor you will game with, so I can generalize for you.

The best value/bang for the buck DS has in their lineup is the Lynx 4 at $1,999. Centered around the excellent do it all mid range RTX 2070 video card, this build would do the job with those games at 1080P or 1440.

It comes with the Intel i7-9700K (overclockable) 8 Core CPU on an excellent entry level Z390 Asus or MSI motherboard, a 240mm AIO DS cooler, 16 GB of DS RAM, a DS SSD Drive 1 and a 2TB storage drive 2. Good DS 750w modular PSU that is Gold level efficiency. Has RGB LED case lights and fan lighting included. A very solid collection of components for the price and gaming performance you get.

Lynx ($1,999) Config #      2383521

If your budget can go higher for a stronger custom build, then we can look into a better equipped Lumos or Velox build.   
jethro View Drop Down

Quote jethro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:03am
I’m more worried about the pc being able to run OBS, along with other programs at the same time smoothly without any problems. I’m new to pc gaming so I’m not really sure about the res and monitor. But I do want the pc to be able to run games smoothly and be able to do a one pc setup for streaming to twitch. Currently stream my PS4 via Elgato HD60 S and have a pc that constantly crashes (sent back for warranty twice and same problem occurred). So if that helps any lol
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:59pm
Video encoding is more about multi core processor and RAM.   Gaming is more about the video card.    If you want both stronger than the 8 core i7-9700K processor, 16 gb RAM, and RTX 2070 video card on the Lynx 4 build...then we can move up to a Lumos build where we can adjust the component selection and tweak the build.

I suspect that for the games you play, the RTX 2070 is enough, but we could move up to a stronger processor.   The i9-9900X has 8 cores but with Hyperthreading you get 8 more virtual cores (Threads) for more processor power.    The Intel K and X class processors are made to be Overclocked, driven faster than stock speeds with appropriate cpu coolers to keep them cool, and in the Lumos DS gives you a free Stage 1 Overclock.    In this custom Lumos build you get the i9-9900X CPU with a Stage 1 Overclock, a better Asus Strix Z390-H motherboard, much much faster Samsung 500 GB M.2 NVME SSD Boot Drive 1,
16 GB DS RAM, the RTX 2070 GPU, better Corsair LL Series RGB fans in an awesome Corsair Crystal Series 570X case.   

Lumos build ($2,879)....Config # 2386692

Other upgrades to consider in the Lumos build.
Get the max Overclock on the CPU for more processor power yet.
More RAM does help with high res video encoding and processing.
Move up on the video card to play at higher frame rates and higher game settings, or to be able to use bigger higher resolution monitors.

From here, to improve components further you could upgrade:

Upgrade CPU Overclock to stronger Stage 2 OC..(+$99)
Lumos build ($2,978) Config # 2386725

Double the RAM to DS 32 GB....(+$226)
Lumos build ($3,199) Config # 2386726

Upgrade video card to the stronger RTX 2080....(+$379)
Double the RAM to DS 32 GB....(+$226)
Lumos build ($3,578) Config # 2386729

If the Lynx 4 won’t do the job, you can boost components in the Lumos to get exactly the performance level you want. See what you think...
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2019 at 5:22am
I understand OBS itself has an auto configuration wizard under Tools that could be a good place to look at recommended specs. I also understand that the RTX series of new Nvidia cards have a dedicated hardware encoder built in that takes a lot of the load off your CPU.

Generally, the recommended specs from Twitch are pretty modest; thoroughly trashed by the Lynx lvl 4, and that's before you factor in the RTX 2070. Perhaps it would be helpful if you could share the specs of that PC that crashes.

I'm by no means an expert, and I do not stream, but I have understood from curiosity that streaming successfully doesn't require the latest and greatest hardware. After all, folks have been doing it with much more modest equipment than a Lynx 4 for many years.

Having said all that, there's nothing wrong with building a really powerful computer if you can afford to. So be our guest.
jethro View Drop Down

Quote jethro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2019 at 5:25am
So my next question is do you think the Lynx 4 would be able to first, run all the programs without slowing down? Second, do you think it would be able to play games like Fortnite, GTA, the division smoothly with good FPS? And occasionally be used as a single pc streamxsetup like playing while streaming. Thanks for all the help btw!
jethro View Drop Down

Quote jethro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2019 at 5:35am
Lenovo - IdeaCentre 720-18ASU Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7-Series - 16GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 560 - 1TB Hard Drive is my current streaming pc. It’s not crashing due to its specs. When it doesn’t crash it runs perfect and even plays some games. I just want something better for gaming and something that won’t crash every other day
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2019 at 5:52am
Originally posted by jethro

So my next question is do you think the Lynx 4 would be able to first, run all the programs without slowing down? Second, do you think it would be able to play games like Fortnite, GTA, the division smoothly with good FPS? And occasionally be used as a single pc streamxsetup like playing while streaming. Thanks for all the help btw!

IMO, from what I've seen and what I know, the answer to all of the above is yes.

1. The 16 GB of RAM will help you have multiple programs running at once.

2. I would think you would want to stream in 1080p for best results uploading and being received efficiently by your audience. The RTX 2070 will slay everything you throw at it at great frame rates at that resolution. (And is capable of performing very well at 1440p, but not sure how well that would stream.)

3. The Lynx lvl 4 so blows away the minimum specs (Twitch recommends having at least an Intel Core i5-4670 processor (or its AMD equivalent), 8GB of RAM and Windows 7 or newer.), that I can't imagine it having any trouble.

That's what I think, but I'm not any authority on streaming. I strongly suggest you check out the OBS recommendations, and perhaps you ask your question on a forum dedicated to streamers.

I would not hurt you just to simply ask DS. I'm sure it's a question they get all the time, and have a ready answer. IMO, they would rather have a thoroughly happy customer than upsell you some equipment you don't need.

That's my take.   
Hope it helps.

Edited by Cretae - 14 May 2019 at 5:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply