Suggestion for a non-gaming pc for mild video edit

Post Date: 2020-04-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Muz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Suggestion for a non-gaming pc for mild video edit
    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 5:00pm
Hi All. I've been around for the past 10+ years and on my 2nd DS PC which is rockin strong. I am currently looking for a new PC for my wife who is a High School Art teacher and a non-gamer. Since I had no issues with DS and am a loyal fan, I would like to check here first. I am trying to keep it in the range of $1000-$1500 for the tower only and would like some suggestions as I think the current build I have mapped out is very overkill. Her main use is creating and editing videos to post and teach her classes on how to do drawings and create visual guides such as mandala's and the likes. No 3D animations or programs but she does have a lot of windows open at once and also does a lot of video editing that she does be it from the internet for how-to's to making videos herself. She has a 1080p monitor and will be sticking to that. I would think 16GB of RAM would be sufficient but maybe 32 would be better or would that be overkill? Also I think the 2060 card maybe a bit much as well as i was also looking at the 1660. I have 2 builds in mind. This one came out to well above my target goal but if this what's needed than so be it

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=2484461

I can take that build and drop the RAm to 16GB from 32 and the gfx card from 2060 to 1660 to be more in line for 1500. They are both the Lynx.

For a few bucks more, I can get the Lumos case which is one that I have and is nicer looking but she doesn't care much about aesthetics.

What do yous think? Anyway I can trim this down even more?

- Rob "Muz"

Edited by Muz - 25 Apr 2020 at 5:04pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 4:09am
I'm going to suggest you see if you can get DS to give you 32GB of RAM in a LYNX level 3. If they would, it would come in at a bit over $1400. IMO, she doesn't need a K proc, the 9700F would be fine. the air cooler would likely last and last, and it's all you'd need. Everything else would be pretty much the same except she'd end up with the better GPU. If they wouldn't do that, you could do it later whenever it seemed right. 16GB is enough, but for her purposes, 32 GB would be helpful.

The other idea I had was to step down to the 9700F proc,
in a custom Lynx build, go with the 1660, and consider the 500 GB Firecuda SSD. With 16 GB of RAM that comes in at $1626, and she gets all the benefits of that blazing fast NVMexpress primary drive.

Couple of ideas.
Muz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 5:29am
Hey Cretae. Ok great thanks! Yeah i'm leaning toward the 9700f proc as well. I'll play around a little more today. Thanks!

**Edit**

I think i'm going to go with this build right here

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=3031341

I believe that would be more than sufficient for her needs. The estimated time though its a bit rough but understandable given these days. I do like the stage 3 Lynx and from what I saw it takes significantly shorter processing time to ship so i'm pretty torn with that. I'll think about it more but I feel pretty good with both actually. Leaning toward the custom of course.   

Edited by Muz - 26 Apr 2020 at 6:25am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 8:38am
Looks good, Muz.

What, no internal light strip?     My god man, what were you thinking?
Muz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 11:35am
If this were my machine, no problem. My wife on the other hand doesn't want that. Maybe i'll throw it in and she wouldn't notice... haha
Muz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 1:39pm
Ok I pulled the trigger. After giving much thought, i went ahead and added that Firecuda SSD. Now my non-gaming wife has a better pc than I do now hahaha. The wait begins as this will be the 3rd DS purchase. Good stuff

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=3032219

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700F (4.7 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.0 GHz (Not Overclockable)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W Digital Storm Performance Series (Supports up to an NVIDIA RTX 2070 GPU)
Expansion Bay: External USB Digital Media Card Reader
Optical Drive: External USB - DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1660 6GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: High-Performance Copper Heat Pipe Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Digital Storm Performance Series (RGB Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes) <br><strong></strong>
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, 6 Week Ship Estimate After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by Muz - 26 Apr 2020 at 1:39pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 3:19am
She is so going to appreciate that NVMe. Great pick!
Chownes View Drop Down

Quote Chownes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 6:13am
There is a growing interest in video editing, possibly because video is becoming ubiquitous, and cheap. You no longer need to buy a video camera, a projector MyPrepaidCenter

Edited by Chownes - 01 May 2020 at 2:55am
 Post Reply Post Reply