FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[Suggestion] Laptop vs MiniPC, Canada

Post Date: 2022-07-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
prash001 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote prash001 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: [Suggestion] Laptop vs MiniPC, Canada
    Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 8:04am
My laptop died recently after many years of service and considering I never really carried it around much, I am thinking of getting a Mini PC to replace it. I would like to keep the total cost including the peripherals around 600-700$ CAD. The usage will be mainly for browsing and streaming TV shows and sports.

Any suggestions or good ressources to look at as I am not very familiar with Mini PCs and hardware specs in general or is a laptop generally better value?
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 1:26pm
As a 12 year customer of Digital Storm I would suggest that you look through their excellent line of products first. I have bought 2 of the Digital Storm PCs and have been extremely satisfied with them.

Since you have provided a price range and an idea of your usage I am sure that a few of the folks on here may be able to suggest a Digital Storm solution for your needs.

I relied on the good folks here in the Forum to help me get my money's worth both times I got my new systems.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 3:19pm
Your listing computing demands are fairly light, and you should not need a dedicated GPU (which does help reduce cost). With that said, here's a good starting resource I dug up is:

The Best CPUs with Integrated Graphics (iGPU) | CGDirector

To step a little further than the above article, my recommendations would be:

• At least 8GB of memory/RAM
• An SSD
-- Some systems feature an SSD (e.g. 128GB, 240GB, 256GB) for use as the main drive and include an HDD for additional storage capacity. Getting one of these hybrid setups is fine. A system with only an HDD nowadays is very crippling.
• A 10th generation Intel Core CPU, AMD Ryzen 3000 series, or better/newer.
-- Technically, something older (e.g. 8th gen. Intel Core) should be okay. However, if you intend to keep the computer for more than a few years, investing in several year old tech is not a great value (unless it's substantially discounted versus the latest models).

After a few quick searches via Best Buy (CA) and Newegg (CA), the only item I came across that I would recommend as a long term replacement is:

Gigabyte U4 UD-50US823SO

To me, that's somewhat unexpected. Budget/lower end desktops appear to be not as affordable as they were.

Of course, you are probably aware of far more local retailers/resellers.

*** For desktops (except AIO (all-in-one)) models, I filtered the maximum price to $500 CAD to allow for monitor and peripheral budgeting.
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 4:25am
MrCheetah gives great advice. That laptop he found appears to be a great buy for you.

@Onkel_Ken: OP can't get even close here, due to the custom build and high(er)-end configs. The cheapest PC they have is the Lynx 1 at about $1300 CAD.   
 Post Reply Post Reply