FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for a good monitor

Post Date: 2010-09-09

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Shaelen View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 09 May 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 78
  Quote Shaelen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Suggestions for a good monitor
    Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 11:47pm
Hey guys,

When I was configuring my DS system a few months back, I had plans of eventually upgrading my monitor. I think I'll be able to do that soon, so I'm taking suggestions. My current monitor is 19'' hp running at 1440X900. It's not terrible, but I'm def. ready for an upgrade. Plus, I have the gtx 480 to handle a higher resolution. However, I don't want anything massive either. I think I'm looking around 22-26'' range? When I was configuring, DST recommended the Dell UltraSharp U2410 and HP ZR24w. Would you guys still say those would be the best options? Are lcd monitors and ips monitors the same? I'd like to stay around $5-600 tops. Thoughts?
Back to Top
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2247
  Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 12:42am
I can't help with monitor advice but...

Happy Birthday! Hahaha
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Back to Top
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran


Joined: 24 Oct 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4219
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 9:10am
lol sorry that no one has really answered you here, I dont know anything about ips monitors.. can tell you at least that led monitors are not the same as ips monitors! they are supposed to be more energy effecient and have better contrast, but still cheaper than ips monitors
Back to Top
kcudeht View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 64
  Quote kcudeht Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 10:15am
IPS monitors and (NON-IPS) LCD monitors work on different technology. I won't go into the differences because you could always just read wikipedia to find out but it comes down to two things

IPS Monitors -- Colors will look absolutely amazing. Nothing beats an IPS monitor in just sheer beauty. However they generally have a bad response time at most price ranges. If you play a lot of games I would have a hard time recommending them. On that note however, there is one within your price range that I think has a good enough response time http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176165&cm_re=ips-_-24-176-165-_-Product . If you want a comparable screen without IPS technology however then I've heard great things about

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002514

The Dell U2410 looks absolutely stunning. A friend of mine who does graphic design has one and I had to simply say WOW!!.

All three have relatively high response times since you have a high price range. If it were me I would grab the Dell but the HP is comparable.


Edited by kcudeht - 14 Sep 2010 at 3:25pm
Back to Top
Shaelen View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 09 May 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 78
  Quote Shaelen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Dragoonseal

I can't help with monitor advice but...Happy Birthday! Hahaha
haha thanks man! My birthday money is why I'm finally looking to upgrade my monitor

Thanks to everyone who replied. I guess I'm curious if you can really tell a difference in picture quality/clarity from an IPS monitor to a TN one. Since I'm not doing high end graphic work, I'm hoping the difference is still noticeable in games/pics/movies.   I've been looking online, and I can't seem to find any IPS monitors in a store that I could actually look at.

The Dell does sound good, but I got spooked by some comments/reviews that mentioned color tinting issues. I guess I could always try it and return it if I needed to.

This Samsung monitor got great reviews from Cnet http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/samsung-syncmaster-xl2370/4505-3174_7-33683882.html?tag=rvwBody
So I wish I could see it side by side to the Dell to see if there's a noticeable diff :-/
Back to Top
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran


Joined: 24 Oct 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4219
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 10:58pm
buying any monitor without having a chance to look at it is a gamble to be sure. i will say that ips monitors hit the market for digital artists... i personally dont see how the picture on my monitor could get better, but thats just me, some people claim they would never not use an ips monitor becuase there is such a big difference
 
i feel like my monitor can already show better detail than the graphics of most things i play =/  opinions opinions
Back to Top
Utopi View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 04 Aug 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 43
  Quote Utopi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 10:08am
I bought this one to use as my main monitor
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236047
Color are stunning and the image is very (very) bright. It's next to my 23inch Acer monitor and you can tell the difference very easily.

It's not too expensive for a monitor that big and it's a 1920X1200 which is nice, along with a 2MS response time.

Dunno if that matters to you but I have my Xbox 360 plugged into it, my new PC and I'll be pluging my Nintendo 64 for some MArio Kart action in a near future with the component cable.
Back to Top
kcudeht View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 64
  Quote kcudeht Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 12:32pm
The color contrasts are really amazing if your in graphic design but since almost all games are not really designed for them you probably wont be able to tell the difference. The Dell is really nice but again I wouldn't bother with IPS unless you require one. get a nice monitor for half the price and use the rest for something else.
Back to Top
Lasthill View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 61
  Quote Lasthill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 1:25pm
I say go with what your wallet and needs demand. I went with a LG LED I caught on sale at Sams club for 189. I stayed there looking at it for a good 30 mins (while the family shopped) and checking all the vids playing on it before I pulled the trigger. Like everyone will tell you take the time to make sure its what you need/want. Dont get it because everyone else is. IPS monitors are great because of the high level of detail but thats really only if you do digital art IMO.
Back to Top
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 06 May 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5084
  Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 2:04pm
best advice, already has been given, to look at several monitors in person first.
All TN based panels are just out of this world crappy IMHO, but TN panel pricing is also crazy cheap. I remember paying over $500 for a 17" CRT. LOLIm%20with%20Stupid
so value wise, it is a hard choice.
also when comparing, if you can get a TN panel, and a decent one side by side, move your head around a little, and you will see some things appear, and or disappear on the TN, which really sucks in heated FPS games. Unless your head/body does not move around when gaming gets intense.. lol might be just me
 
Back to Top
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran


Joined: 24 Oct 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4219
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 2:22pm
haha i just pictured this and it was hilarious
 
justin is definitely one of those people that while playing a game "leans" at corners and ducks when he hears gunfire LOL!
Back to Top
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 06 May 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5084
  Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 2:44pm
lol, thats part of the experience. as real as I can make it. 125db gun shot will  make you jump to lol
Or when playing Dragons age and the game boxes fall of the shelf from the low trembling sounds of casting a spell. lol helps to add booze to the mix.  LOL  
Back to Top
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2312
  Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 4:42pm
my hp zr22w just came in the mail today so I can start setting up my life again. will post when I try and compare that thing to the t230h i had to leave behind, blegh.

the hp zr series is ips btw, if you didnt already know o.o
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.109375 seconds.