Post Date: 2010-06-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Suggestions for DSO / config building
    Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 10:16pm
Alright let me preempt this by saying that I consider myself a DSO fanboy. You'll see some real evidence of this in the next week or two (Big%20Smile), but i think that no one and nothing is beyond streamlining/critiquing. This is intended to help and support DSO.

That said, while I wait for my packages and the starcraft2 beta closed, i had some ideas to boost the site a little bit.

[1] this is mostly the obsessive neat freak in me, but its time to delete the half dead descriptions on the main page, to me, i feel this could leave a really bad first impression for a new customer. those build. those names arent even used any more

[2] The chassis links could use some more choices, smaller thumbnails and another row of 6 should be enough, especially including the 932 and new hafx

[3] This seems to come up daily, the "dso certified" power supply option seems a little vague. I dont personally feel it would be too hard to either
A give links or mini descriptions to the current in-stock options
B give us a good description of what it takes to be certified, like a minimum volt/amp spread, heat, noise, etc

[4] the "chassis airflow" option has been getting REALLY bashed in the forums, i think it needs several fixes
A seeing words like "performance" instead of actual numbers is something i expect to see from dell or bestbuy. its understandable that a good portion of people who buy from you may not look, but id be willing to bet that a lot do.
pretty much just cfm, dba, maybe even rpm

B $56 as a flat rate for "up to 6" fans seems like kind of a stab to me, what if the selected case only has room to add one fan?
obviously the same goes for the led fan options. those dont even have a brand lol.
it should be something like add 1,2,3,4,etc and the same cfm/dba info on the led fans would be good also

My point with number 4 is that pretty much anyone who comes on the forums is getting flamed until they take this out of thier build. imo, popular vote wins

[5] Again to neatness, this one is a little more involved, but i think this would be very beneficial too, I think that there should be a button on the right side that says "get help from the DSO community" or something close to that. even use it to replace live chat and the expert guide buttons. Have this button bring the user to post for the config section that is already laid out like this:
removing anything that is "not availible", "no thanks", or not really an option makes it easier to read and reference quickly, also easier to quote and point out changes

Price: $3826     Ticket: 414450

**** Please include any additional information:
Budget range?
Monitor?
What do you use your computer for?

Chassis Model: Cooler Master HAF 932
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified
Power Supply: 1250W Enermax Galaxy EVO

Hard Drive Set 1: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel)
Hard Drive Set 2: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM)
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 4: Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System: CPU Only
H20 Tube Color: White Tubing

Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (White)
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game
Warranty: 3 Year Limited Warranty with Life-Time Customer Support (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Parts)

[6] I think this has been half answered, but a better description of the warranty, especially the limited warranty vs the platinum warranty is needed. this is basically the reason for people to come here instead of building thier own, imo, this should be highlighted.
the entire customer care section could be written as a paragraph instead, include the same links, have better info and a thumbnail or two, it would be a lot neater looking and easier to read

Edited by !ender_ - 13 Jun 2010 at 10:20pm
AustinHiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote AustinHiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 5:42am
I agree. (The build, I have no clue I mean, it looks good to me XD)
sirsiddius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sirsiddius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 8:43am
I say that mobo is WAY overkill, it was designed purely for overclockers to put under nitrogen I would recomend a asus p6td deluxe or a p6x58d if your intrested in sata 3 and usb 3. (However DST4ME recommends EVGA, but it's a personal prefrence, However it should be noted that EVGA mobo division isn't looking very healthy since most of their members have defected to sapphire.)

As for 2x gtx 480s you might need then if you run an uber 2560x1600 monitor, but if your running anyting else less than that it's not necessary, I recommend you buy 1 480 see how plays out, and if you're dissatisfied with the preformance you can always buy another off newegg and plug it into the system.

Edited by sirsiddius - 14 Jun 2010 at 8:46am
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 9:53am
are you guys serious

did you read the post at all?
its an example build to illustrate the idea i was trying to get accross
i never said at any point in the post that i was trying to buy anything or look for advice. rofl

sirsiddius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sirsiddius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 11:19am
Hey Chill, my school's internet blocked out that picture, so I assumed you had some general suggestion and then a build.

I know how pointless it is to argue on the internet, so I'm going to stop this before it turns into a flame ware by preemptively claiming that I am an IGNORANT DOUCHE

Happy?
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 11:58am
Most of EVGA's mobo team went to saphire?LOL stop spreading BS.
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 12:34pm
Lol guys calm down
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 7:07pm
Jeepers, !ender_ where have you gone wrong??Oops
Seriously, I think you have posted some very high end ideas for our high end Comp Co to attend to. I hope Alex drops by and takes this to heart. From what I've seen, these guys are amazingly responsive to our input. I heartily endorse every suggestion, and hope they will see wisdom here. Well put!  Awesome

Oh, and do you really not think 160g is more than you need just for the OS and a few apps and games.... LOL

@sirsiddius - calm down, my friend. That was damn good advice you were giving there, it just so happens.  You are in no way an ignorant anything. No harm, no foul.

Edited by Cretae - 14 Jun 2010 at 7:13pm
Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 1:12am
First off, wow, I am impressed with !ender_'s post!

Just as a side note, we're planning to do a site wide layout update tomorrow which will make it easy to navigate our website, forums, etc...

You definitely provided some great feedback that I am going to take back to our development teams. I wanted to provide my feedback on them as well.

Originally posted by !ender_

...its time to delete the half dead descriptions on the main page, to me, i feel this could leave a really bad first impression for a new customer. those build. those names arent even used any more

I wish it was that easy, our development team does not want to get rid of the content at the home page as this is for content search advantages. However, we'll be removing the old model names such as '850si' etc...

The chassis links could use some more choices, smaller thumbnails and another row of 6 should be enough, especially including the 932 and new hafx

Definitely! We're working on them actually, it just takes a lot of time to prepare the builds, take pictures, make sure the shots are good and edit them.

This seems to come up daily, the "dso certified" power supply option seems a little vague. I dont personally feel it would be too hard to either give links or mini descriptions to the current in-stock options or give us a good description of what it takes to be certified, like a minimum volt/amp spread, heat, noise, etc

Valid point and a good one. We're planning to create 'More Info' links for all of the items on the configurator with pictures soon.

the "chassis airflow" option has been getting REALLY bashed in the forums, i think it needs several fixes

I understand that some cases might not use all of the fans, and other settings. We're planning to resolve this shortly. Thank you for the feedback.

Again to neatness, this one is a little more involved, but i think this would be very beneficial too, I think that there should be a button on the right side that says "get help from the DSO community" or something close to that. even use it to replace live chat and the expert guide buttons. Have this button bring the user to post for the config section that is already laid out...

This is one of my favorite suggestions! I love this idea. Including a few questions such as what will you be doing with this system, resolution, budget, etc... will allow this to be a killer tool.

I think this has been half answered, but a better description of the warranty, especially the limited warranty vs the platinum warranty is needed.

As of right now, the warranty term is written on the 'Limited Warranty' configurations. We actually have a change coming up soon. I won't speak too much of it but, we're planning to offer aggressive pricing on everything, including Black|OPS (without the 3 year parts warranty of course).

the entire customer care section could be written as a paragraph instead, include the same links, have better info and a thumbnail or two, it would be a lot neater looking and easier to read

I'll pass this over and we'll see what we can do.

Finishing off, I would love to hear more feedback from anyone to improve Digital Storm for our customers.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 1:13am

Post Reply Post Reply