FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for first purchase

Post Date: 2019-08-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dbenjamin86 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dbenjamin86 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Suggestions for first purchase
    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 8:29pm
Hello, all. I am new to Digital Storm forums and the whole PC Gaming world. I was looking for some suggestions/input on my first purchase. I will be using the computer for basic audio/video editing as well as gaming. I don’t need something on the extreme high end as the computer wont be dedicated for gaming and I don’t play a lot of games. Mainly, I want something that can handle all games and look good, as well as handle audio editing. Also, since I will be recording audio, I need the computer to be as quiet as possible.

I have been looking st different Lumos/Lynx builds, butnhioing for some input from actual users.

Thanks!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 5:50am
Budget and monitor resolution are the controlling factors. The most costly single part is usually the GPU, so we need to know what you're going to be using it to drive.
EJMate View Drop Down

Quote EJMate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 7:56am
I ordered a Lynx Ultimate at the beginning of the month, just hit stage 6 yesterday, so should be shipping sometime early next week I'm guessing. I ordered it for very similar reasons to what you have listed there. I wanted something that could handle gaming well, as well as some audio editing for my guitars.

I ended up getting the Tier 4 Lynx config and MSI Mag24C Monitor option. Ill post a follow up when it arrives and I've had some time to play around with it.

Quote dbenjamin86 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 8:09am
Originally posted by EJMate

I ordered a Lynx Ultimate at the beginning of the month, just hit stage 6 yesterday, so should be shipping sometime early next week I'm guessing. I ordered it for very similar reasons to what you have listed there. I wanted something that could handle gaming well, as well as some audio editing for my guitars.

I ended up getting the Tier 4 Lynx config and MSI Mag24C Monitor option. Ill post a follow up when it arrives and I've had some time to play around with it.

Awesome thank you!

Quote dbenjamin86 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Cretae

Budget and monitor resolution are the controlling factors. The most costly single part is usually the GPU, so we need to know what you're going to be using it to drive.

Budget would be under $2000. I’ll be using adobe for the audio and video editing. As far as games, I have been pretty much all console up until now, with the exception of WoW. But mainly games like Borderlands. I like the adventure RPG games. Won’t be playing the battle royal stuff. The hardest thing my computer would drive would probably be WoW and the video editing.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 5:25am
And monitor resolution you're driving?

Assuming it's a 1080p, this build hits all your needs under budget:

Config ID 2548523 (At the main page, copy and paste the number into the "Load Config" box you open at the upper right.)

What you want for editing is cores and threads available from a fast CPU, and more RAM than you'd need for gaming to speed up all your rendering. You also want as speedy a primary drive as you can get. This build gives you that. 8 cores and 8 threads, 32 GB of Corsair RAM with a 5 year warranty. Samsung 512GB 970 PRO MVMe drive, also with a a 5 year warranty. Fastest one at that size. 850W PSU with a 5 year warranty.

This will also be a very strong gaming rig with the RTX 2060. Best price/performance pick at 1080p. The choice of a Lynx chassis allows for the rig to be colorful; and attractive looking within budget. best of all worlds.

Keep in mind the final price is discounted $200 bringing you in at $1883 with free shipping.

To go Lumos and Intel would unnecessarily increase your budget by nearly $500 to get the right parts.

Hope it helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply