FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for non-gaming machines

Post Date: 2010-11-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SlugRun View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SlugRun Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Suggestions for non-gaming machines
    Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 5:36pm
My wife and I need new computers.  
We have read !ender's posting, and it was very helpful.

We do no gaming, but my wife will be a power user.  She will scan photos at very high resolution and manipulate them with PhotoShop, convert 10mb pdf files with PDF Converter, use optical resolution programs, work with large genealogy files, listen to/edit audio files, watch TV on the computer, and use Access and other MS Office programs - much of it all at the same time; she rarely shuts down a program until she quits for the day. 
She also wants to leave open the possibility of working with videos, 3D, and multiple screens in the future.
My needs are more modest.  MS Office, good sound reproduction, good video, speed, and lots of room for updating.   We usually keep our computers for 5 to ten years, depending more upon software requirement changes than anything else in the past.  Our Pentium 4s are beginning to limit us.
The computer envrionment is not especially dusty, but we have 4 long-haired cats.
We require very quiet machines since our house is very quiet.
She has a good 24inch monitor already, but I will probably upgrade (get one outside of DS).  She likes her current keyboard and will need only a new mouse, I will need both (again from outside of DS).
We would like to put the OS and MS Office and most programs on a SSD boot disk, and the data on a set of mirrored disks.  We do not mind re-installing programs and such, but losing data is undesirable.
I am currently converting our old vinyl collection and will need adequate storage.
Our budget is quite flexible, but we do not want to spend money unncessarily.
Under $4000 would be nice, but we will listen to all reasonable suggestions.

We have several builds that would benfit from your critique/suggestions.
for Wife:  Tickets - 458076, 458075, and 458073. 
for me:  Tickets - 457187 and 457178.

Some other specific questions we have is:
1. Is the stage 4 liquid cooling worth the cost over stage 3?
2. No tuner card is included in the tickets above because we do not know how to chose a good one.
3. Are the PSU and MB selections adequate?
4. What are the pros and cons of these cases?
5. Is the noise reduction option going to really help?  !ender's post suggests otherwise.

This is a long message, but more info is hopefully helpful.  We will greatly appreciate any input.
Thanks very much.
WardTheSteak View Drop Down

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 10:29pm
458473  Rig for you,  don't even consider getting Asetek LC it is not even close to real liquid cooling.  Also, for your uses you both don't need liquid cooling, and will be better off saving money and getting air cooled rigs with the Noctua fan.  Trust me, it's a beast. 

458475  This is the rig for your wife, save on the cooling get her some more gpu power with the Gtx 580's, and spend a little more money on the corsair power supplies they are better.  Also, the Auzen sound card is better than the creative card, in fact it is the creative card with modifications and additions. 

Now you wanted a tuner card, for watching tv am I right?
SlugRun View Drop Down

Quote SlugRun Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 1:51am

Thanks for taking notice of our requests.

Yes, we need a TV card for the wife.  I am a Ludite and have not been convinced that I need one yet.

Re your suggestions:

What makes the Corsair PSU worth $44 more?  Better stability? Runs cooler? Has beefier components to withstand failure? . . .

If she uses dual video cards will 1000 Watts be sufficient?  Also, will the air cooling handle that?

We would still like mirrored back up disks, so would need two of the Barracudas.

She would probably still want the audio card since she plays an instrument and is acutely aware of sound differences.  I assume you just forgot to include it.

Since you did not include noise reduction I assume that is unnecessary?

Lastly, will 6mb RAM be sufficient?  I failed to mention that she often has multiple, multiple instances of the browser open.

I am not taking issue with your recommendations, but just want to better understand how you came to them.  Thanks again, and we look forward to any further input.

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 4:41am
I haven't heard of a tv tuner that is truly worth it yet..  That is an area that still needs some advancement, I read an article on Maximum PC not too long ago talking about one of the leading cards, I will have to do some digging for it though.  Also the Corsair PSU is more reliable than the other PSU's this isn't like the case with ram to where any ram with the same timings will do unless you are benchmarking and severely overclocking.  But the Corsair is the best of the bunch for PSU's basically.  Also if you look on her build I selected the 1200 watt power supply.  And air cooling will most definitely handle it.  Especially in the HAF 932, one of the best air cooling cases.  Also in this newer config I added backup 2 tb HDD's, but to save money you could go with 1 TB HDD's in raid 1 instead.  Also, I added a sound card, and a better one at that.  If she truly has an ear acutely aware of sound differences then she should go with the Auzen soundcard it is the Creative card done right.  Yes, noise reduction is completely unnecessary and will cause more heat.  Well if she does a lot of rendering and browsing at the same time and such I would go for 12 gb of ram probably.  Here is the same config with 2 x 2 TB HDD's in Raid 1.  458548
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 9:10am
If you are averse to data loss then you DONOT want to mirror your Dtata disks  Mirroring or RAID 0 increases your risk of data loss and corruption by about 600%
(According to research done at my employers labs).

If you are going to have a lot of data you may consider a RAID 5 setup maybe even an external RAID 5 box something along the lines of the NetGear ReadyNAS boxes (Im using a pair for 20TB of storage)

The Corsair Power Supply has some of the best components and it is very efficient.
In my book the added quality of the work and parts makes it worth the $44

Edited by MagiK - 18 Nov 2010 at 9:13am
SlugRun View Drop Down

Quote SlugRun Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 10:48am
Thanks to both of you for the info about Corsair.  That is exactly what I wanted to hear.  I have had PSUs go south in the past and appreciate a well built one.
We are going on a short trip, but will look at your recommendations in detail on returning.
wcboltman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wcboltman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 11:20am
I would suggest the Assassin case.  It's very quiet and has removable dust filters for easy cleaning.  I would 100% go with the Asus Xonar STX sound card it's a true audiophile caliber card.  This build came in at $4450, but I think you will be much happier with it long term than the builds you saved.

Since you plan on keeping this system for a long time definitely go with the AX1200 Corsair power supply.  It is the best PSU on the market and extremely reliable and well built.

Since you mentioned noise I would recommend not overclocking your video cards.  It will make them run louder and isn't necessary, especially for a non gaming build.  Go with the 580s, they run quieter and put out less heat.

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Assassin Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58 (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Player (Play Blu-Ray and Play DVDs)
Optical Drive 2: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards
H20 Tube Color:White Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 11:25am
The OP specified that they did NO gaming, so SLI is definitely not necessary, go with a single GTX580 to bring the cost down and reduce noise.
wcboltman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wcboltman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 11:29am
Ahh I see non gaming means NO gaming! Who would have thought?!  Yes go with one GTX 580.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 11:40am
Easy to forget since the majority of people are doing SOME gaming  Smile
wcboltman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wcboltman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 11:41am
Sorry just reread your original post.  People will probably argue with me, but I would go with the 980X without question.  While you won't need the extra cores right now, they will quickly become relevant in the future.  Intel is already introducing 8 core CPUs next year and you plan on keeping your system for 5-10 years.  The staying power of that setup is much, much greater than going with the i7 950. 

Saved Ticket Number: 458604

Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 3.33GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58 (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Single Video Card
H20 Tube Color:White Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)

Edited by wcboltman - 18 Nov 2010 at 11:42am
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 11:54am
LOL You left out the Corsair Power Supply

but I suppose without the Dual 580's you dont need the 1200watt PSU.
and if you are doing LCS you should have stage 3 Overclock of the CPU.
wcboltman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wcboltman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 12:09pm
Yea no need for the 1200W.  1000W is more than enough for that setup.  They won't need the stage 3 OC and since they plan on keeping the system for 5-10 years I would advise against pushing the CPU that hard.

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 2:02pm
But he did say his wife does a lot of video type rendering and such which will be very GPU intensive so sli would be beneficial.  Also, I haven't heard much about the ASUS card, but the last time I read about the Auzen was it was the best out at the time.  And, they absolutely do not need liquid cooling for their needs, they aren't trying to reach real high overclocks.  So air cooling would be the best.  
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 2:22pm
Ward I believe that is only if she is using CUDA, running the normal video editing and processing is CPU dependent.  SLi wont benefit them ...unless Im behind the times on the software in question.  I do a lot of video transcoding and it is CPU intensive not GPU.

If they are not going to OC beyond Stage one they should go with the Noctua u12p air cooling....LCS is overkill for the system otherwise.

Of course all this is basically Opinion so take it all with a grain of salt.

Edited by MagiK - 18 Nov 2010 at 2:24pm
Sarah View Drop Down

Hardcore Gamer

Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 3:33pm
I would go with the 580 video card, and in regards to overclocking, and which CPU to go with. You don't need to go with a 980x, you can go with the 950 and overclock it and it is still going to last you for the duration of the time that you are looking to have your system. Liquid cooling is also not a requirement, the Noctua is a great air cooler and you should not have any problems with it.

As well, I sent you an e-mail the other day also, you are free to contact me there and I can continue to help you further with any questions you may have.
Sarah
If you have sales questions, please contact [email protected]

wcboltman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wcboltman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 5:49pm
He doesn't need to go with the 980X, but long term I think it is the better choice if they can afford it, which based on their budget they can.  Most people on these forums probably upgrade parts of their systems every 2-3 years, if not sooner.  If you plan on keeping your system as is for 5-10 years than you should buy the most powerful CPU available.

Even though they may not see the full benefit of the extra cores today, 3-4 years from now (if not sooner) they undoubtedly will.  Since you specifically mentioned running multiple, demanding applications, video editing, multiple screens, and 3D it's clear that the 980X is your best choice long term. 

You're right about not needing liquid cooling, but in terms of extending the life of the CPU and preventing performance degradation over time it couldn't hurt.

Here is what I would do if I was in your shoes:

ticket number: 458736
$3939
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 3.33GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)

Edited by wcboltman - 19 Nov 2010 at 11:06am
wcboltman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wcboltman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 7:07pm
Just my .02 take it for what it's worth Big%20Smile

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 11:00pm
Well it kind of depends on the program, GPU's have a lot to do with applying textures and such.  So depending upon the program and the nature of the work will decide whether SLI would be beneficial or not.  But you're probably right, whatever she will be throwing at it will most likely be more CPU intensive, since most software apps don't rely as much on GPU rendering. 
SlugRun View Drop Down

Quote SlugRun Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 7:09pm
We are back.
Thanks to all for the help.

Yes we would appreciate a filter on the case.  We would also appreciate cooler, quieter video card performance.

Letting the discussion bounce back and forth helps solidfy my thoughts.  When I bought my current P4 machine in 2002 most people thought I was nuts to get 1gb of RAM (the max) since anything over 250mb was rarely needed then.  By going big I have been able to withstand WinXP and its memory-hungry relations.  (Sigh, the days of elegant programming are gone.)  So I lean in the direction of capacity over-build to extend useable lifetime.  Yes, I think the wife will need the six core eventually.

So far, I like the 458736 build of wcboltman best.  My main question is why the PSU was dropped from 1000W to 750W?  I feel comfortable if that is enough to run at 75 - 80% capacity or less.   However I know that more "ornamentation" will ensue in the form of TV cards (to be selected when the choice is more obvious), additional video cards if the need should arise, and whatever newest, must-have geegaw appears.  Her current PSU is 300W, but I doubt that relates to any of the newer equipment since power requirements have increased so much.

I am deferring the second (back up) hard disk until I dig a little more.  Use of 2 disks in RAID 1 mirror will result in a 0.25% failure rate if each disk is rated at a 5% failure rate.  Going to RAID 5 will need at least 3 disks, and I am reluctant to head in the direction of a disk farm even if it is cheap.  Still, I will take a good look at the NetGear ReadyNAS box.  Therefore, this decision will wait for now.  Thanks for the angle on this; I had not considered it previously. (Not sure why, duh)

MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 7:43pm
Not many people opt for RAID 1 due to its high cost but if you dont want a four disk raid 5 NAS, I guess it is a way to go, though RAID isnt a substitute for back ups.

Still if it works for you...dont let me or anyone else talk ya out of it  Big%20Smile
wcboltman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wcboltman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 8:17pm
I think you're right on target with your approach and you're also right about selecting the 1000W Corsair.  Based on what you're looking for I would just go for liquid cooling.  Again you don't need it, but one of the best things about Digital Storm is the quality liquid cooling systems they build. 

Since you said cool, quiet performance is a top priority and you are looking for your system to perform at a high level for a very long time I think it makes sense.  You're already spending $4K . . to me an extra $250-500 for the added performance and longevity is more than worth it.  Personally I would include it just because it looks cool and really is functional art IMO!

This build included the Stage 4 liquid cooling of the CPU and the 1000W Corsair:

SlugRun View Drop Down

Quote SlugRun Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 8:31pm
You are right, of course.  Back ups are best.
SlugRun View Drop Down

Quote SlugRun Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 8:49pm
Yes, I was wondering if air cooling would still be ok after a few years of festooning the MOBO like a Christmas tree.
The wife is still waffling a little with the thought of going low ball and just buying another system in a few years, but I dread the prospect of more frequent transitioning.  My system will be far less aggressive, so we can compare notes in a few years.
We seem to be closing in on what the final systems will be.
 Post Reply Post Reply