suggestions on a 2500 usd build

Post Date: 2010-10-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
erminy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote erminy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: suggestions on a 2500 usd build
    Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 8:44pm
hi, id like to know any suggestions the experts here might have on my build.

1 Budget : 2500 usd.
i already have monitors, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc

2. Expectations: highest gaming performance possible. with high upgrade capability and the longest lifespan possibile. ( i live outside the US and replacing parts or getting tech support is a very difficult task). also, i selected the Raven 2 case because i will have the computer in a very dusty room. i really liked the airfilters on this case and the ease it offers when it comes to cleaning them.

. Usage: i will be using this pc for 2 primary activities. gaming and watching movies.i also use it to do some light home office work but i already have microsoft office.
i have 1 samsung 22 inch 1680x1050 where i do all my gaming and regular computer use and i also have 1 sony  42 inch 1080p hdtv connected that i use for watching movies.  i might upgrade my main monitor in the future to a 24 inch one with a bit of higher 1920x1080 resolution.  but anything bigger than that is unlikely.

4. Special Needs: as i mentioned before i do a lot of movie watching and id like to have lots of hd space for storage. also, i selected the creative fatality champion sound card because i value highly sound quality on my games.
also, the computer will be in my room. so i selected a noise dampening upgrade.

ticket: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=446320

Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 8:54pm
i chose the hafx x case for these reasons:
Better cooling
Great for upgrades
HAS air filters

keep in mind you still need to clean regularly at least every 3 months. if you don't clean the filters you can clog your pc and suffocate it. if you don't wnat the filters then the haf 932 is the other casse you want. these are the 2 best air cooled cases they offer.

drives with density higher then 1tb have issues with the density of the wafers. therefore they have higher drive failure rates. it is better to get 2x 1tb then 1 2x tb

Price: 2425
ticket number: 446326

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI 3 Edition (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s) (Model: 131-GT-E767)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (40GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X-25V Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (i7 Processors Only)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: FREE: Starcraft II (Tryout Edition) with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Edited by Raif - 07 Oct 2010 at 8:56pm
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

if we can't answer a question shoot a e-mail here.

[email protected]
erminy View Drop Down

Quote erminy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 9:09pm
thanks a lot for the input. couple of questions though. does the hafx x case have the same kind of filters as the raven 2 where you simply take them out and wash them or would i have to open up the case in order to clean the filter?
this is the main reason why i chose the rv02 case. so if the hafx does offer the same ease on the filter cleaning and also offers better cooling you got me convinced.

also, thanks about the hd input. i didnt know about the density issue. however, i did notice you went the Hitachi/Seagate 32mb way.  isnt the wd 64mb a much better solution?

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 9:13pm
id do that a little differently
$100 more bucks, way more gaming power

the pc is in your room? haf is already quiet. if it bothers you, use the sleep function. press 1 button and 2 seconds later you are ready to run.

go back to the case you wanted if you feel like it, still dont need the noise supression
some cases are better than others, but at the end of the day, most of them will be pretty close.

Edited by !ender_ - 07 Oct 2010 at 9:15pm
erminy View Drop Down

Quote erminy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 9:21pm
error

Edited by erminy - 07 Oct 2010 at 9:24pm
erminy View Drop Down

Quote erminy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 9:23pm
thanks for the input !ender.
my main concern with the case isnt noise. its the dust. i went the rv02 way because of how easy it is to clean the filters. i dont know if the haf offers the same ease of cleaning. if it does im all for it.
also, i see you went a very different way. would you mind explaining your choices so i can learn a bit? i am very lost with the cpu mobo bundle you chose because i simply dont know them and, id like to know how much more performance i would be getting with the sli 470 vs the single 480.
thanks for the help!.

erminy View Drop Down

Quote erminy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 9:31pm
ok i mixed up both suggestions.
but went a little differnt on the hd.

its 2537 usd total.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=446336
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI 3 Edition (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s) (Model: 131-GT-E767)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (i7 Processors Only)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Edited by erminy - 07 Oct 2010 at 9:37pm
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 9:32pm
you will be seeing higher avg and max fps but lower min fps. this is due to the latency from the gpu to gpu communication via the sli bridge.

the p55 platform is very good, similar to the x58 the main diff in performance is with sli. he chose a cheaper platform and cheaper cpu to be able to get the 3x 370 is sli in your budget.

he also changed the ssd from 80 gb to 40 gb. i don't recommend the 40 b/c it is enough for the os and apps but nothing else. with the 80 you can also put a few games on there too. the games you would put on it are constantly changing maps or constantly loading games. otehrwise there is no need to put them on a ssd and the hdd would be just fine for them

i do not know about the cleaning of the haf x filters, sorry

Edited by Raif - 07 Oct 2010 at 9:40pm
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 9:34pm
there is only a 3-5% increase between the 32 mb cache and the 64 mb cache don't waste the money

if your going that route with the hdds you can put them in raid 0 for extra speed. although it will not compare to a ssd

Edited by Raif - 07 Oct 2010 at 9:36pm
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 9:38pm
it doesnt, but even with filters, you need to clean out the inside. youll just have to clean more often with the haf case
erminy View Drop Down

Quote erminy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 9:44pm
thank for the info, i swapped both HDD's for the 1tb 32mb option and lowered the cost to 2487 of the last build i posted. 40 buck less!.

the main difference with what you guys are suggesting is on the primary hdd. i see both of you went the ssd way. is it worth it? its really pricey and i honestly have no idea on how much a difference it would make.

@ !ender. ill take you suggestion on the case. if i still have to open it id rather go with the one that offers better cooling. also, i took out the noise dampening as you suggested.

Edited by erminy - 07 Oct 2010 at 9:48pm
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 9:54pm
the haf cases are open air cases, therefore the noise dampening really wont help in terms of stage 2. stage one they put resistors int he fans to make them operate at a lower rate, thus reducing noise at the cost of cooling.

we haven't had any noise complaints with the haf cases. 90% of your noise will comes from your gpu fans.

bonuses of ssd:
faster boot
faster install
faster removal
faster load
no moving parts
less power consumed
no defrag required (using this will hurt the ssd as well)
faster scans

even putting multi raptors in raid 0 wont even touch a ssd in performance. also the intel ssd line can reach 98% full with little to no performance degradation. with a trad hdd you will start to notice it 50%, 75% you lose major speed and forget about filling it.

oh there is another down side to the sli that i forgot to mention. games like gta4 and metro 2033 need 1.5gb of vram to put it at its highest settings. game like this will happen more and more/ with a 470 you have 1.2 of vram so you can put it on high at least. you also can't combine 2x 470 and think you have 2.4 gb of vram only the first gpu counts towards vram.

your best bet is always to get the fastest and best single card solution available. yes it isn't as powerful but replacing 2x 470 in the future will cost more then replacing 1 480. in the next few years you may want to change your gpu. would you rather replace 2 cards or 1? your cpu will be current for longer then your gpu. a gamer is more dependent on gpu power over cpu power.

Edited by Raif - 07 Oct 2010 at 10:25pm
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 10:26pm
lol yea yours has an 80gb ssd but 470 sli is far more beneficial to gaming than any size ssd, i was just showing you that in the budget, you could have it all

and dual 470s will not have a lower min fps than a single 480

you by no means need and ssd, and the impact of a game installed on an ssd vs the performance difference between dual 470s and a single 480 arent even worth talking about, 2x470s destroys that comparison
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 10:29pm
both methods have their pros in cons  sli vs no sli you just need to weigh your options

each will have power in different areas and weakness in diff areas

i know ssd has no gaming performance unless your loading maps, ect that point is mute

Edited by Raif - 07 Oct 2010 at 10:30pm
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 10:40pm
its moot and there arent pros and cons, sli for gaming power, and ssds to load your maps and boot up your computer faster, its not really an apples to apples situation. further, comparing in game FPS to how fast you can load your saved games is HARDLY a moot point when you are making a >gaming< rig

the price range is just a tough one to work in, with the extra room over the standard $2100 i feel the need to fill it up.... the best step up would be to an 860 or 950 with 2x480s but that does not leave space in the budget for a sound card

i actually really really like your choice in the last build you posted erminy, it gives you the best of everything, leaves out only an SSD which is easy as crap to install later on and the price of these is supposed to significantly drop between Q1 and Q3 next year, so you can always add one if you feel like it later, if you are willing to spend that much i would say go with that build for sure erminy

Edited by !ender_ - 07 Oct 2010 at 10:47pm
erminy View Drop Down

Quote erminy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 12:12am
that great guys ive really learnt a lot. i got the knowledge i needed and you both helped me to arrive what i consider the best choice for me.
good news to know about the expected price drops on ssd's.
ive never had one and honestly i have never had an issue with loading times. ive always been strict about keeping windows nice and tidy and i guess it has its rewards.

il go without the ssd for now but if i find a good opportunity in the future ill try one for sure.
thanks a lot. it really a pleasure building a rig in these conditions.

as soon as i hit the buy button il make sure to post my final choice. ( i haven't finished getting the 2500 usd but it shouldn't take more than a month.)

Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 1:23am
they have been saying the price drop for a year now, hopefully it happens

i don't think ender fully understood me with the gpus. there are pros and cons to each of the solutions. his is more powerful but if you are playing a game that requires 1.5gb of vram to put it at its highest settings his solution wont help you because you can't combine 2x gpus to get the needed vram it will only use one gpus vram but they work together as a team. these games will be more common in the future then they are today. which is why in my build there was a single card solution with 1.5gb of vram indtead of the more powerful option. in a way it was future proofing.

i wasn't comparing ssd to gpu in gaming performance, and never will since a ssd will not give you fps. they are a luxury item that is nice to have. is it needed? no.

good luck getting the rest of the cash together, it was a pleasure to help you out. Also anytime!
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 9:07am
stacking vram is insignificant next to butter smooth fps at very high res, the only thing ive ever known maxed out vram to impact render distance, both a 480 and 2x470s are very good choices, hard to go wrong either way
erminy View Drop Down

Quote erminy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 8:54pm
ok i have been trying out different configurations to make ends meet and i have found 2 different solutions that would allow me to get a system with sli 480's. both come with some sacrifice and im not entirely convinced.

i have to downgrade in several components like the OS, the cpu air cooling, etc.
im just not sure if the sacrifice is worth the gain.

here are both configurations. in both i downgrade OS, and cpu air cooling. however, in one i also downgrade cpu and ram and in the other one i sacrifice hdd space.

config 1

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=446574
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - HAF 922
Processor: Intel Core i7 860 2.80GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA P55 SLI (Intel P55 Chipset)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)

Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: Standard Factory Heat-sink and Fan

Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)

config 2

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=446578

Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Extreme Cooling: Standard Factory Heat-sink and Fan
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card

original config:

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=446579

Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Edited by erminy - 08 Oct 2010 at 8:59pm
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 10:01pm
i see where your head is but win home prem is all you need unless you are running business programs with xp virtualization

and you HAVE to have the noctua cooler, or at the very least some cooler over the stock fan, or it will cripple your overclock

definitely need the cpu cooler that takes place over the sound card, what is your exact budget limit?
erminy View Drop Down

Quote erminy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 2:08am
well 2560 is really pushing it. 2570 is too much.

also, if im not really planning on going over a 1920x1080 resolution would it make sense to get the sli 480 over the sli 470 taking into account all the sacrifices id have to make?

Edited by erminy - 09 Oct 2010 at 2:10am
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 5:21am
not really you can get pretty good fps off on 1 480 at that resolution with the setting on very high on most games. the exceptions would be crysis, gta 4, metro 2033

tbh in single card resolutions

1920 x 1080/1200 480
1680 x 1080 470

expect to run 40's on avg in fps with sli ( same card as posted in my post) kick it up 20-27
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 9:44am
i like this one you linked
fits the budget, lots of power, buy it
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 6:38pm
Just my opinion but you can do without that sound card...and use the onboard Sound....it is very good.

And if you dont like it they are easy to install and can be obtained easily.

Edited by MagiK - 09 Oct 2010 at 6:40pm
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by MagiK

Just my opinion but you can do without that sound card...and use the onboard Sound....it is very good.

And if you dont like it they are easy to install and can be obtained easily.
it depends on your ears, onboard sound was crap to me, but everyone has different preferences

i will definitely agree though, that it is a very easy upgrade to add, and you can get cheaper options than the ones offered on this website
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 11:09pm
Consumer Reports and John Stossel once did some research into the big Audio $$$
from their findings it turned out that almost none of the people who participated in the tests could tell the difference in Super high end audio equipment costing tens of thousands of dollars and the midrange consumer products....The real differences they found were in people's inability to properly configure the equipment they had due to lack of technical knowledge.    

But that being said, Im hearing impaired from too much gunfire with no hearing protection, so these days  its all the same to me.

Edited by MagiK - 09 Oct 2010 at 11:10pm
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 12:06am
onboard audio is not midrage, its something added for convenience, crapity crap

not to mention i dont care if 200 doctors, scientists, and lawyers tell me that i cant hear the difference between two things ... i decide that

realtek "customization" options pretty much involve turning the volume up and down, and sound normalization, the creative suite for the card i use, the xfi xtreme gamer... is nothing to backflip over, but the differences in not only options but the results of said options are extremely significant

hell, on a scale with equipment going up to "tens of thousands of dollars" id call a sound card that costs $70-150 low budget range, and onboard sound no budget range. most of the mobos would cost the same without the sound support, its an afterthought (not all the time, most of the time)

im not a sound genius... or one in any subject for that matter, but even i could try different things to see what sounds best to me, id be interested to see this test, and how stupid the subjects were

sound customization, (just like video editing, photoshop, system building.. etc)started for me like i start most things: poking around in the dark until i figure things out and light starts forming in certain areas, the internet provides more information than anyone could hope to absorb in 100 lives, anyone who wants to learn about something can

...sorry, i got pretty far away from the subject here... point is sound is a type of art and as such is just as subjective as all other art, there is not a way to measure someone elses interpretation
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 12:14am
In your opinion, in mine onboard audio is just fine, when was the last time you actually attempted to wring all that you could from onboard audio?  Im running it now on my current rig, Movies and Music sound great, with good speakers or head phones, the only thing I don't get is EAX but thats sound effects not sound quality.

Again audio quality is highly subjective and for people with serious budgetary issues a sound card is one of the easiest things to eliminate from the mix since you have what most people would call as acceptable built in.  If it doesnt suit you you can VERY easily get one at local stores and put it in, it takes less than a half hour...unless you have some kind of jamm packed case that makes it hard.

Not totally disagreeing with you Ender, just that if someone has to make some budget choices I think the sound card is a good option to leave out until you can save up and add it in later.

Edited by MagiK - 10 Oct 2010 at 12:18am
erminy View Drop Down

Quote erminy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 3:24am
i have tried onboard and i currently have an xfi xtremegamer. the difference in gaming for me is radical.
also, i had the opportunity to try out this sound card and i fell in love with it.
if any of you guys has any suggestions on alternatives im open. but motherboard audio is not an option for me.

you experience gaming through 3 different channels and i regard them all very important to your overall experience.
1 Video
2 audio
3 mouse/keyboard.

all 3 are elements that can enhance or downgrade your gaming experience.

having a crappy item in any of the 3 categories is unacceptable for me.

now, how high end each component has to be for me to be able enjoy gaming at its most. thats a good question.

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 8:53am
Originally posted by MagiK

In your opinion, in mine onboard audio is just fine, when was the last time you actually attempted to wring all that you could from onboard audio? 

when i first built this rig i was determined before even putting it together that i was just goign to use onboard audio, id had some small problems with my creative card in the last rig and i just wanted to keep it simple
well, i use Roccat Kave headphones, which are good to be sure, but not exactly the highest end you can get.. they are gaming headphones, which is what i do, so thats cool with me

so realtek is in charge on my gigabyte board onboard audio, after i got all set up on my overclock and got most programs in place, i went to sound. these headphones are "5.1" at least claim to be, so there are 3 plugs+mic and usb for power
well, i tried it with the two things that i consider the most memorable parts of my sound exp from my last computer, Crysis and my 10ish favorite songs
i popped open the config options, tried a bunch of different things.. it reminded me exactly of highschool (kinda wierd i know) in the sense that .. technically? it was all there, the sounds were correct, they were clear, no complaints on SNR at all
but there was something missing.. i couldnt put my finger on it exactly
so i messed with the not many reltek options for about 3-4 hours, i couldnt get any desirable results over the "technically" fine output. i even tried using the equalizer on my foobar player to help it out, but no avail

so then i just said f this.. why am i going to waste my time, i pulled the xfi card out of my 3 yea old DSO rig, installed everything and in a total of 10 minutes (granted im very versed in the console options) I'll try and describe to you how the sound was different:

just to start, the first thing you notice is how much LOUDER the sound is... with onboard maxed and my headphones maxed, the sound is medium loud... about the volume you would watch a movie ... with the sound card, i have to put most things at 75% ish to have it be comfortable
next is the thickness... remember that "technically correct" part.. well of course all the same sounds were coming out of the headphones, but with lack of a better way to describe it, i just felt like the sound was so much more realisitic, like i was listening to the sound as it was intended to be heard, not a recorded, copied, compressed version. best way i can equate that is earbuds vs a solid car stereo, its just fuller, richer, thicker
last and possibly most importantly, punch and sparkle. with onboard sound eq, any bass settings would be just like earbuds, i could tell there was bass being played, but with the sound card i can FEEL the bass coming through without even tweaking the settings from stock... then furthermore, and i dont know if this is just my headphones, but with the right settings on onboard, i can literally make my headphones SHAKE on my head, like visibly vibrate during the bassy part of a song, further than that, for anyone who has played crysis, you know there is a lot of sharp sounds... like your cloak enabling and disabling, its sort of sharp and poppy... with the sound card set up right, the crackle actually felt like a tangible effect as well as a sound effect, almost like someone was standing behind me poping a balloon, the tangible impact of a pop came across as a sound and a feeling, not a low impact representation of what the sound would be

thats the best way i can explain it, again any form of art is subjective, but i tried to make onboard audio work and it simply wasnt good enough, but everything matters different amounts to different people
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 12:10pm
Ok, Ok, Ill concede you guys have waaaaaaaaay better hearing than I do.  LOL Got to say for the loudness aspect though, I live in a fair sized house...and my wife complains about the base from my onboard sound card distracting her, not to mention the sound effects...thats a good 60 feet and 2 rooms away....maybe more.  But you win.  The OP has stated his priorities and that is all that really matters.  I was just looking for way to boost his build with the least amount of sacrifice...as I saw it.  So I bow to your wisdom.  Hahaha

I have had Sounblaster Audigy and the original XiFi and I maintain that the difference in gaming for me in negligable if not unnoticable.  (Speakers are Altec Lansing 2.1 sound system)
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 12:36pm
the roccat kave headphones are made to shake like that.
Steam:pcmaster160
erminy View Drop Down

Quote erminy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 12:49pm
about audio,
can anyone tell me the difference between the xfi fatality professional and champion?
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 12:58pm
Well I dont know all the details but one them is the $$$  Hahaha

Just kidding,   The Creative site doesn't list a Xfi Fatal1ty Professional product, the Champion is listed as a professional grade product

Edited by MagiK - 10 Oct 2010 at 12:59pm
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 1:02pm
champion has the i/o on the front. not exactly sure what that means but i saw a youtube video and it looked like a box on the front with volume and maybe the ports? idk ender would know i think.

hey they added another one! Asus xonar essence stx virtual 7.1

Edited by maxyme - 10 Oct 2010 at 1:05pm
Steam:pcmaster160
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>