FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Switch Back?

Post Date: 2008-06-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Malivon View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Malivon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Switch Back?
    Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 4:46am
I know this is really an odd question coming from a Mac User.

I'm seriously considering going back to PC. Several reasons, mainly for the gaming aspect.

However, I was wanting to hear both a manufacturer's input (I've researched Digital Storm thoroughly and they give excellent advice regarding many issues) and a portion of the PC community.

I am able to virtualize Windows in my operating system. Native speeds though, concern me. Along with the fact that most games require Direct X or an iteration of thereof, virtualization doesn't spike my fancy. (Yes, I can run boot camp, if I reinstall Leopard, but even with Leopard, when I'm on my mac side, it is slower than XP*)

Tiger runs faster than Leopard (10.4 vs. 10.5) on my computer. Yet with boot camp, XP runs slightly faster than Leopard.*

My system specs aren't terrible for gaming in boot camp, but if anyone has ever played Vanguard, it is unable to play at all without having some problem, but that may be the software, since I can run WoW in XP and in OSX at native speeds (43+ fps, max setting, in Shattrath).

Here in lies my dilemma.

Should I sell the Mac to buy a new PC?

Please keep in mind, there was a reason for my purchase of a Mac...to stay away from gaming because I'm in college. However, I live in a really really small town and there is absolutely nothing to do.

Thanks for any advice at all.

The game I really am lusting to play to give an idea of what I want to do with the PC mainly: Stargate Worlds, when it comes out of course. :) (Huge huge huge stargate fan)

Knowing what game I want to play, hopefully someone can provide me with some insight about my situation.

Edited by Malivon - 15 Jun 2008 at 5:06am
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 10:08am
if the computer you have is new enough to be under warranty just return it if it isnt much of a loss

if not, ebay is your friend

as far as using these beasts for gaming / buying a PC? it may not be the best thing for your college carreer but these things are way to fun to ignoreSmile

realstically though, your going to take a loss trying to move any technical hardware these days as most people would rather buy it new, best to try and make a deal with someone you know at college who is into art/movie editing much more than gaming

Edited by !ender_ - 15 Jun 2008 at 10:09am
workingman View Drop Down

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 10:31am

I dont know ..mac is known for stability....vista is a headache for gamers..unless you are running a microsoft game  i guess...in the long run you may want to stick with the mac...I have always considered a mac..but the cost of a mac IMHO is way out of line for what you get as far as hardware is concerned...I will stick with windows headaches and a faster machine..instead of stability and a higher priced system

Malivon View Drop Down

Quote Malivon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 3:18pm
Stability is a huge factor, but I never have ever had a problem with Windows. If I was going to get a system, for sure I'd get XP over Vista.

I volunteer at a IT department and I've heard more complaints about Vista than anything.

I like my Mac for the pure reason it never had a problem in the dorms. Now that I'm out of the dorms, I want to expand! Keep in mind, the network I was on got a daily virus or daily worm and the network would be in a state of chaos.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 3:39pm
consider the source before you point fingers at an OS

vista is a big hassle for gamers compared to what other mainstream operating system? exactly.

lots of people have problems with vista becuase its a brand new tool that isnt perfect and deals with an imperfect client base, if you take the time to learn about it like you would any other tool, it will serve you well.

macs are stable for what they do, of course, if all you need to cover is 13% of the total jobs computers fulfill, you'll do your share better than an OS that covers 100%
sorry, couldnt help itSmile

the long and short of it is you wouldnt be posting if your needs were fulfilled, id say your biggest battle will be getting rid of your Mac
workingman View Drop Down

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 8:15pm
vista is a big hassle for gamers compared to what other mainstream operating system? exactly.  xp to be exact

Post Reply Post Reply