Switching audio outputs

Post Date: 2014-04-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sernafied View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sernafied Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Switching audio outputs
    Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 7:41am
Ladies and Gents, I've got a luxury problem I need your help with.

I've got an afterglow wireless headset plugged into the back of my computer, when I want to use voice chat, I just turn the headset on and switch my default audio playback device. When I don't want to use voice chat, I switch my default playback device and use my Bose companion 5 system, also plugged into the back of my computer.

The problem I'm having is this: When a game is running and I'm using my speakers, a buddy logs in and wants me to log into raidcall. I have to switch my playback device and relaunch the game, or I will not be able to hear anything.

I'd like to be able to just tap the mute button on my speakers and turn on my headset, launch raidcall, or turn off my headset, unmute my speakers and be good to go without having to relaunch the game. Any help with this would be awesome!
i7 3770k @ 4.4
16GB 1600MHz Corsair Dominator
240GB Corsair Neutron SSD
1TB Storage
GTX 690
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 7:55am
Hi Sernafied...  I have never done it, so this is a stab in the dark, but I believe I read somewhere where you can assign one of your devices to the Recording Device, even though it isn't.   Go to Recording Tab instead of Playback and right click the screen  and click 'show disabled devices'.  Then rt click on it, Enable, Properties and see if there is a setup.

If it works, awesome, if not, oh-well, I tried. HahahaBig%20Smile

EDIT...  This link is what I think I'm talking about.Big%20Smile

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-play-audio-through-hdmi-speakers-simultaneously-in-windows-7/

Edited by bprat22 - 23 Apr 2014 at 8:09am
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 4:09pm
I have kind of the same issue.  I already have my headset set as the Default Communications Device, so I can use Skype even if everything is coming through my speakers, but most of the time I want it all coming through my headset so the speakers don't come over my headset mic.

There was a time on my last PC, when I was running Windows 7, that somehow I had found a setting that allowed me to switch the Default Device (not Default Communications Device) between headset and speakers on the fly without closing down my games and relaunching them, but I cannot for the life of me remember how I configured that.

So, sorry, I don't really have an answer.  I don't think bprat22's link applies to my needs, but it may to yours.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2014 at 12:51pm
So when I'm playing games like WoW, I typically have any sounds going through my computers speakers. When it's time to raid or if someone needs me in Vent for whatever reason, I simply launch the program and turn on my headset and I'm good to go.

What I've done, and I'm assuming it's possible in raidcall, is I adjust the settings in the VOIP software on what audio output and input to use. That way I don't have to change anything on my computer's default audio settings. So while WoW and everything else... music included is streaming through my speakers, Vent is using my headset for audio playback and mic input.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply