Post Date: 2010-01-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pineapplerum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Switching files from one hard drive to another
    Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 2:09pm
Hi,
I have to say that I am very pleased with Digital Storm's customer service and I've had my computer now for about 2 years. 
With that said-I have a problem because I don't know how to get my Oblivion and Sims 2 information from one hard drive to the other without messing everything up.

I have the one hard drive the computer came with but I've downloaded so much stuff that I had to get a second hard drive, an external one, to transfer all of these downloads into.

I have the second hard drive connected. I've backed up my computer files onto it as a back up and then I copied and pasted my Oblivion folder and EA Games folder into the second hard drive. 

I haven't taken the Sims 2 or Oblivion folder out of my original hard drive. I'm scared if I do, I'll lose everything.
I copied and pasted the whole "EA Games-Sims2 and all of the expansion packs from the Progam files as well as the ones under EA Games from my Documents file and then I just copied and pasted the whole Oblivion file from the Games folder.

Did I copy and pasted the right things, the right way? Is there anything you know of that I missed or shouldn't transfer over?
Please help me with this. I really don't want to lose the many many hours I've spent downloading all of this stuff. Thanks!

Oh, I guess I should have put this in the hardware section.
One other thing.  Can I unplug my external hard drive to replug it into another place without messing up everything? I tried to safely remove the hardware but it keeps telling me to come back another time because it cannot be stopped right now. Do I have to first shut down my computer to unplug it? 

Edited by Pineapplerum - 23 Jan 2010 at 2:24pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 7:26pm
you need to go to the forums of those games and see if they can be moved that way or not, games and apps that use regkeys can't be moved, cause its not just a matter of files.

if they don't use redkeys or are independed of the os then you can just copy and paste them.

it is for this reason that we always say:

HDD1 = os/apps/games

HDD2 = media/personal/work file storage

Don't fill up your HDD1 more then 50%, if think you will need more room for it then pick a bigger one.

only thing on your HDD1 should be games/os/apps, all files of media/personal/work should be on HDD2 for storage.

if you unplug your external while pc is on and external is on, then you can destroy your data, best thing to do is trun off external and once external is off, you can remove it.

Edited by DST4ME - 23 Jan 2010 at 7:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply