Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Chunkeymonk View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chunkeymonk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Switching to PC
    Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 6:42pm
Budget:
$2,200 +-$500

Expectations:
I've played on console all my life and I don't understand how PC's work or the lingo involved. I want to be able to run all current games at 60-80fps, 1TB+ of storage with the option for expansion in the future and I would like this to last the next 10 years. The budget will not include a gaming monitor, but I need recommendations on a monitor.

Usage:
I play a lot of the current AAA games, I love RPG games, and playing games like COD/Warzone with friends. I would like to get back into MMO's like WOW. In the future I will probably use this computer as a work/gaming computer.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 4:32am
Here you go. Nothing over-the-top, but very powerful for a first-time gaming rig.

3826792    $2211 To see it in the Configurator, go Main page, upper right > "Load Config". Copy paste that #.

The case keeps the cost down and comes with its own RGB fans.

The CPU is a very powerful gaming processor, and will be for several years. All that's needed, really.

Plenty of RAM, solid mobo, and a more future-looking power supply for all future upgrades.

The ultra-fast 500 TB Fireuda NVMe SSD for Windows, browser, apps you might use, maintenance software, and several of your favorite games. 2TB HDD for more games.

A very powerful GPU for gaming at 1080p (1920x1080 monitor resolution).

Free internal light strip.

If you want to squeeze even more performance, you could consider upgrading to the 3060 Ti GPU, and swapping in the 1TB Samsung 960 EVO SSD for the mechanical hard drive. That would bump the price up to $2326, but would be a solid investment.

No rig is going to "last the next ten years" without replacing and upgrading a few parts, but 5-7 years is quite doable if all goes well.

You will want to stick with 1920x1080 monitors to keep costs down for now, but either GPU will get you to very high framerates on high game settings in almost everything. Testing has shown higher framerates to be much more pleasing to gamers than a higher screen resolution. There are dozens of 24-27" 1080p monitors that go as a high as 144 fps for sale under $250. Can't beat that with a stick. Look for an IPS panel for better colors, and G-Sync COMPATIBLE.

This rig will be upgradeable to a stronger CPU and a higher-end video system if you ever want to. More storage is easy to add when you need to, and gets cheaper by the day.

Questions?   
Oldpcgamer View Drop Down

Quote Oldpcgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 6:10am
The config above is a great one to be sure. I agree with it 1oo%.

My only changes, if you can afford them, would be:

An Nvidia 3060 TI if you can squeeze it into your budget, as it will perform a bit better in AAA graphics-heavy games...(Or a 3070 if you can) But these can also be a future upgrade path should the GPU market regain its sanity.

I would also add a second SSD, as an "Active" game drive, and keep the games off your primary drive, and leave that drive (C:) for the Operating System and important applications you might need to run.

The 2 Terabyte drive can be for cold storage/occasional games/whatever. But once again... this can be done post-build as a future upgrade.

You always want to plan your build for what you need now... and what you foresee your needs might be in the next year or so.

I am so happy for you! You have no idea what you are in for! (In a good way). Mods that will blow your mind on games, unavailable through Console versions... Amazingly improved frame rates and jaw-dropping improvements in graphics quality.

Welcome to your Future... we have been waiting for you :)
Been playing games since Pong
Chunkeymonk View Drop Down

Quote Chunkeymonk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 8:04am
Thank you for taking the time to create a rig that works for me! I do have a question about the GPUs, why is the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB better than the GeForce RTX 3060 12GB? All I see is the 8GB vs the 12GB.

Thank you again!
Oldpcgamer View Drop Down

Quote Oldpcgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Chunkeymonk

Thank you for taking the time to create a rig that works for me! I do have a question about the GPUs, why is the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB better than the GeForce RTX 3060 12GB? All I see is the 8GB vs the 12GB.

Thank you again!

Basically, it comes down to more power and throughput for very little more cost.

To quote a section from the Forbes article:

"Actual performance is roughly where I expected it to be, offering a compelling. bordering on excellent upgrade from an RTX 2060 in most tests, with one or two exceptions, but with the RTX 3060 Ti offering noticeably more grunt, especially for 1440p gaming. The RTX 3060's ability to offer playable frame rates at 4K with DLSS enabled in some titles is also a handy feather to have in its cap, although again, if you'll be dabbling with 4K/DLSS then the RTX 3060 Ti is probably worth paying extra for."

Here is the link to the whole article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2021/02/25/nvidia-rtx-3060-vs-rtx-3060-ti-which-should-you-buy/?sh=f46d2ae198f9

I would add that finding a good and affordable 144hz 1440p monitor is going to be much easier and affordable than trying to price out a 4K monitor with a higher Hz, not to mention having it be Gsynch or gsynch compatibility:

Hope that helps!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
What exactly is G-Sync?

NVIDIA G-SYNC is groundbreaking new display technology that delivers the smoothest and fastest gaming experience ever. G-SYNC's revolutionary performance is achieved by synchronizing display refresh rates to the GPU in your GeForce GTX-powered PC, eliminating screen tearing and minimizing display stutter and input lag.

Also look into Gsynch compatible (Much cheaper)

Edited by Oldpcgamer - 20 Mar 2021 at 9:43am
Been playing games since Pong
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2021 at 1:52am
Welcome to DS ChonkeyMonk.

You are getting very good advise and will be very pleased. 

You cannot go wrong with a good 1440/2K monitor. There are many and at good prices. I have been using the PG279Q (don't know its current variant) for years and love it.

Enjoy.

Caveat: be aware that there might be long waiting times because of the world's chip supply problems. That supply issue is going to be with us for a while IMO.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2021 at 5:02am
The video card benchmark difference is quite larger than I expected, and for $60 more, it's about the only bargain in GPUs you can get these days! Have a look here:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3060-Ti-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3060/4090vs4105

"Basically, it comes down to more power and throughput for very little more cost." as Oldpcgamer said.

I would have thought the more video RAM on the 3060 would have narrowed the gap, but the numbers don't say so. The 3060 will be very strong if you stick to 1080p resolution as I recommend. For $60 more, the 3060 Ti will let you move into a 1440p (2560x1440 pixels on the screen) monitor without needing to upgrade the GPU.

Here's the real low-down. If you stay for now with 1080p resolution 27" or less, you will make your eyes and your wallet very happy. A good monitor with high framerates may save you as much as $150 or more over the higher res. And you know the GPU can save you $60. If you can stretch your budget to get the Ti, you'll have the option to move higher sooner, BUT, the 3060 Ti at 1440p is not going to be the BEST card for that. Moving up is a whole new realm of more expensive monitors and GPUs to drive them. The RTX 3070 you would need to get the same kind of framerates at 1440p you can have much cheaper at 1080p, is stupidly priced right now because of short supply. I suggest you stay with your budget and experience the wonders Oldpcgamer told of in your near future. Once you see what you have, you will be better able to know what to aspire to, and prices will stabilize. Within a year or two, you'll be able to get a 3070 (or BETTER) AND a 1440p monitor BOTH for the price you'd have to pay for a 3070 now. The MSRP on that card is supposed to be $499!!

Tech gets better all the time, and patience pays off down the road in price/performance gains you can't imagine now.
 Post Reply Post Reply