FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

system restore question

Post Date: 2017-11-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
*Thomas* View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote *Thomas* Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: system restore question
    Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 10:08pm
Okay so i'm curious on what aomei does exactly ? this may sound like a stupid question but does it restore my system back to when i first got it from Digital storm ? drivers and all ?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 10:46pm
You can restore to any restore point that has been previously created, if there were no restore points created you will not be able to restore, as there is nothing to restore to.

Best way to use these kinda of apps is to make a clone.

I like recommend to you "acronis true image"'s clone option or

Macruim' s "reflect" 's clone option.

Acronis is a paid app reflect has a free version, for non m.2 drive i use acronis for m.2 i use reflect.

Clone Guide for acronis 2017

Clone Guide for Reflect the video here is a better guide

Basically Cloning is duplicating the whole drive/partition to another drive thereby making an exact duplicate of the first drive on the second drive. For example if you clone your drive tonight and 2 days from now your os drive goes bad, you can put the cloned drive(second drive) in the pc and pick backup from tonight, or use the clone to restore to a different drive and pop that drive in and pick back up, no need to reinstall anything, windows, programs,drivers, files, everything on the first drive is duplicate to the second drive, its a full copy.

Imaging is when you create an image of the drive, this image is not bootable like the clone, and you will need it's app to view its contents. You try to restore from the image using its app. Problem with imaging is that they are not as reliable as duplicating /Cloning, they can fail or become corrupt and you cannot restore from them, making them pointless.

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Nov 2017 at 11:05pm
*Thomas* View Drop Down

Quote *Thomas* Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 11:04pm
Well what i was asking was i asked digital storm to make a restore option for me and was curious if aomei onekey was it? Sorry for the confusion.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 11:12pm
What do you mean you asked DS to make a restore option?

That is different, what you have asked DS to do is make a partition of your os drive to use as a restore partition. This only allows you to restore to before you opened the box/pc.

Problem with those are, if the os drive goes bad so did your restore partition.

Instead we recommend here on the forums that once you get your pc and set it up with all your games/apps/etc., that you then clone your os drive to an external drive so if anything happens you have a copy ready to go that is already setup with your stuff.

We also recommend Cloning your os drive once a week so if anything happens you only lose a week worth of stuff instead of going back to first minute you got the pc.

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Nov 2017 at 11:13pm
*Thomas* View Drop Down

Quote *Thomas* Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 11:17pm
If i'm understanding you correctly that would require 2 drives? i only have one so that wouldn't be an option for me. so for now it's safe to just go ahead and use the aomei to restore to before i opened the box?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 11:22pm
I would not get aomei if I were you, regardless no matter what app you use, it will need to copy/clone/image to a second drive.

Again i think you are confusing DS 's restore option, with apps like acronis/reflect/aoime

If you can explain better maybe we can get somewhere, because right now I feel confused lol maybe im not understanding you correctly

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Nov 2017 at 11:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply