FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTaking another dump on Vista.

Post Date: 2007-09-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
bullet Topic: Taking another dump on Vista.
    Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 1:47pm
Just sitting around watching the clock and the USP web site. I don't want to start a flame war. This is just a way to pass the time. 

I am extremely preduiced against new M$ operating systems. IMHO they are all released a year prematurely. Those considering Vista should read these columns from PC Magazine.

Finally, check out:

It's a joke, or is it?

Switching to Vista is inevitable; just as switching to XP was inevitable. But, buying Vista now is like buying a pair of pants that are too tight because they'll fit well next year. If you can afford it, upgrade from XP in a year. Why suffer in the mean time.

Edited by Bill the Cat - 18 Sep 2007 at 2:00pm
Stonevulture View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 2:20pm
I've debated it back and forth - and I have no love for Microsoft, period - but for me it comes down to DirectX 10 and the fact that migration, as you say, is inevitable.

Yes, I know there are going to be driver problems and strange OS bugs, but I'd like to start working with the OS now and figuring out how to get it to perform to my liking.  You might think this sounds masochistic, but I guess I'd rather bite the bullet now, reap the immediate benefits from DX10 support and other things Vista's supposed to do better, and then work on getting the system patched and tweaked to a comfortable state.
67alecto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Bill the Cat

Just sitting around watching the clock and the USP web site. I don't want to start a flame war. This is just a way to pass the time. 

I am extremely preduiced against new M$ operating systems. IMHO they are all released a year prematurely. Those considering Vista should read these columns from PC Magazine.

Switching to Vista is inevitable; just as switching to XP was inevitable. But, buying Vista now is like buying a pair of pants that are too tight because they'll fit well next year. If you can afford it, upgrade from XP in a year. Why suffer in the mean time.

Everything in those first two links is dead-on accurate.  Networking issues, waking up from sleep/hibernate, compatibility issues, frequent reboots and crashes, and insanely long reboot times are things I experience every week with Vista.

My XP machines are so stable.  I don't even remember ever having problems with XP - I went from Windows 98 SE to XP Pro, and I was immediately floored by how I instantly stopped all of the BSoDs I would get in 98.  The only problems I remember having with XP Pro was getting GTA3 to run on it - I had to wait for a patch, and then had to disable some of the graphics options.

On my XP Home machine, I waited a year after SP2 came out before I installed it, and I did that just so I could get IE7.

MS used to have a fairly transparent Beta system, now, it is so closed-door that the debacle of Vista is what we have to deal with.

Edited by 67alecto - 18 Sep 2007 at 2:24pm
Twister Pro
750W PS/Q6600 2.4GHz/680i LT/2GB Corsair 800/9800GTX/X-Fi XtremeGamer/Stage 2 Cooling
Vanquish II
430W Corsair/i3 3.3 GHz/Asus H61M/8Gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance/650Ti Boost 2Gb
ugm84 View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 4:22pm
As far as my experience with Vista on my laptop, I don't see any of the issues raised by the first two articles. When my laptop sleeps, it pops right back. I've never seen extraordinary load times upon turn on.

I have had some game crashes, but those are mainly games that need a minor patch for Vista usage, nothing a quick trip to the game makers site to check on an update. Most of the games I play online crash due to server side issues and not the OS.

As for frequent reboots, who is to say what is frequent IMO. I have to reboot my XP based desktop on occasion, yet that is no big deal either. These things happen.

I got Vista as soon as it came out, and I am very pleased with it. Sure, I've gone through patches etc and some stability issues, but what OS hasn't had some issues? I felt the same way about getting the OS and learning it and tweaking it sooner rather than later. (For my new system and DX10 support as well as other things)

I read an article recently saying that the upcoming Vista SP1 patch is way too soon in the life of the OS. I tend to look at it as MS doing their job and keeping a product patched and working. I seem to remember similar gripes arouond the time XP SP2 came out as well.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 6:20pm
You know, this is really frustrating!  I've already changed my order 4 times delaying things and now I'm thinking of changing my OS from Vista Premium 32bit back to XP Pro.

I'm so sick of hearing these things about Vista.  So it seems that MS is now going to migrate XP into Vista in SP1?  Is this substantiated fact? 
Kelly View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 6:50pm
I am deleting this post becausae it is not relevant anymore.  Ms has released Hotfixes that address all gaming and general usage.  I understand most people are getting scared that they're losing their precious XP, but get over it.  Move with or get run over.  Vista sucks but so did XP when it came out.
inshadeoftree View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 7:39pm
my 2 cents....I really learned a ton from XP-PRO...I had no idea I could do soo much with a computer...I have friends who did an up-grade to XP and they think I'm crazy...I will start my new DS box with Vista HP  installed by the pros and live with it...I truly expect nothing but good stuff....I wish I could get away from Mr. Bill's software ...but that ain't likely....

600W Thermaltake,Intel Core 2 DuoE67502,nVidia650iCore2Quad,2GBCorsair,150GBWesternDigitalraptor 10K, NVIDIA 460 GTX, AirCooled Stage3,Blizzard Internal Lighting,Vista Home Premium

commast View Drop Down
bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 9:06pm
I wasn't too thrilled with Vista since it came out but after using Vista for the last few months on my laptop i am starting to think it isn't that bad at all. People complained about Vista but they don't realize that unlike the WinXP, which still has left over codes from Win98, Vista is a completely new OS. WinXP is also around long enough, 5 years ??, that most of the bugs have been fixed. In times Vista will be fine and so far i haven't experience any crashes with Vista yet.
67alecto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Kelly

I am deleting this post becausae it is not relevant anymore.  Ms has released Hotfixes that address all gaming and general usage.  I understand most people are getting scared that they're losing their precious XP, but get over it.  Move with or get run over.  Vista sucks but so did XP when it came out.

I have the hotfixes - I read numerous Tech blogs, and go and get them before they are rolled out as updates.  I still have issues - I still have issues reconnecting to a network that has 2 XP machines that maintain their connections.  Waking up my Vista machine is a crap shoot.  Will it come right up?  Will it refuse to have a network connection?  Or will it require a reboot to get it back?  The printer I have isn't supported under Vista...oops, I guess I need to buy a new printer.  Now, I can't place all of the blame for hardware compatibilty as MS's feet, but at the same time, if I have an OS that is stable and that doesn't require I update perfectly good hardware, why should I "get over it" and get Vista?

Since SP1 for Vista will just be a cumulative collection of the existing patches and hotfixes, I don't expect a huge gain.

XP is rock solid - I refuse to simply "get over it" and fork over money for a new OS that isn't going to provide me a substantial improvement, and that is in many areas a step backwards (and you agree that it sucks).  Since XP will be supported years beyond when MS finally stops selling it (which may be extended considering how much money they're making on it - XP sales are nearly 10% higher than they expected), I'll keep XP until Vista gets something truly jaw dropping.

Twister Pro
750W PS/Q6600 2.4GHz/680i LT/2GB Corsair 800/9800GTX/X-Fi XtremeGamer/Stage 2 Cooling
Vanquish II
430W Corsair/i3 3.3 GHz/Asus H61M/8Gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance/650Ti Boost 2Gb
OzzDOA View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 11:52am
Since I was ordering a new machine I figured it was time to take the Vista plunge.  I need to learn the ins and outs anyway since I'm sure Vista will make its appearance in the professional environment soon enough and its better to stay ahead of the curve.

TBH when I first used Vista I really was unimpressed.  Now this was on a bargain level laptop which really didn't showcase Vista's features, and IMHO I would stick with XP on a laptop for the time being unless its a high end desktop replacement.  But once I got to use Vista on a machine that had the power to support it I found it growing on me.  It really reminds me of Mac OS X or some other flavor of Linux.  But it wouldn't be the first time M$ ripped off an idea.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2007 at 8:47pm

Vista and XP are both great operating systems. As with any new operating system, they have bugs, and over time will be ironed out.

It really comes down to a users taste. Try something new, or stick with the old and trusted. Both options are great.

Thread closed.
 Post Reply Post Reply