Tech Info

Post Date: 2019-02-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Tech Info
    Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 11:32am
As I get older I realize that my tech needs may be less than they were years ago. My current gaming rig is an old DS i7 920 based CPU with a ssd, and GTX 970 card. I play WoW, Destiny 2, EvE, and GW 2 type games on a 24 inch Dell Ultra IPS monitor. I may go up to a new 27 or 32 inch monitor, but the 2560/1440 resolution at around 144hz or 165hz probably is more than I need.

Overall I want to make sure I understand where the best places are to spend up on vs just getting the hype.

I am looking at the i5 9600k CPU, probably a RTX 2060 or 2070 card, a solid 500 gb ssd as the OS drive, and running it on a gold or platinum rated 750w PSU. I am not into liquid cooling, so a solid air cooler like cooler master or Noctua would be more to my liking. Having liquid in the pc seems wrong to me even though I understand how it works. I'm old so I have old man superstitions now.

It seems the base clocks and turbo clock of the CPU would be as good or better than what I use now, and the new RTX series of cards paired with a G or Free sync monitor (later on) would be more than enough for me and the game sI actually play. The number of cores in the new CPUs seems to be way more than my needs.

Am I missing something here with these components? Is there some reason that I should go water cooling or for a higher end CPU? I usually like to buy a very solid CPU and Motherboard that lasts, and just upgrade the GPU as time goes on. I want to make sure I am putting the main tech paradigms into this new PC.

Thanks for reading my novel.
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 2:42pm
You will need to update your Mobo too and don't forget ram. An i5 is not bad but compare pricing and I would suggest looking at the Ryzen 7 2700x. It is AMD but they have come a long way in the CPU department and their stock cooler is phenomenal. 16GB OF DDR4 3000MHZ will work flawlessly. Ryzen runs best with higher speed ram, 3000mhz+, where as Intel sees the best performance with either 2666mhz or 3200mhz and requires you run an impressive profile to get your listed speeds. As for the GPU a 2060 is great, very good reviews on it but of course a 2070 is a bit of extra padding for future proofing. 750w psu is more than enough for what you are planning but with a psu more is always better since a psu runs best at about 60% load. You seem pretty with it on the tech for being out of the scene for so long and yeah pretty much anything would outpace your current CPU. Even with your current GPU, the CPU you have now and probably ram are your bottlenecks. As for your game choices those are all heavily CPU reliant especially WoW.

Edit: Just looked up your current CPU and yeah it would definitely be your major bottleneck since it even limits your DDR3 ram choices to 866/1066. So with that in mind you could buy a decent msi AM4 motherboard for 50-150 USD and a Ryzen 7 2700x for 300 USD and a great 16gb ram kit for about 100-140 USD and you would have an extremely capable rig. So 450-590 USD and you get modernized. Then you can upgrade your gpu when needed, the 970 is not bad but if you want to save money and get freesync vs Gsync monitor a newer GPU is needed cause Nvidia is shifty.

Edited by Psyoshi - 04 Feb 2019 at 2:51pm
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 6:24pm
Cool. Thanks.

Yeah I plan on framing the 920 I have now and hanging it on my wall when I retire this pc. Damn thing has been a horse over the years.

I was looking at the ryzen cpus mainly because they seem to be as good but cheaper. I read that AMD is better at multi threading, while intel is better at single thread....but really I wonder if my activities would even scratch the power of any of today's CPU chips.

I just know very little on the ryzen cpus. I like the fact that the air cooler is solid though. Anyway, things to ponder but at least I can move on in my searching.

Thanks!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 7:01am
Psyoshi has well defined the choices and solutions. I can endorse the Ryzen choice, especially over the i5 9600k. Cores and threads you don't need until you need them, lol. The air cooler fits your wish list at no extra. the PSU will not be pushed. You'd have around 300W overhead IMO.
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 2:18pm
I'll admit, I have a better understanding of the technology than I let on, but I am mainly trying to sort through the jargon and hype. In the past, one used Intel and only Intel.

The other reason I am bouncing ideas off you all is that I COULD buy a 9900k CPU and get 32 gbs of the best RAM there is, plus a 2080 TI supersport (totally made that supersport part up) GPU....but it is overkill by a long shot.

The Ryzen 2700x seems like a great deal and lets me either save a few bucks or put those few dollars towards something else. The $2500 budget is mainly because that is the figure I mentioned to my wife, but in the end I am going to get what I want first and then hope it sits near that $2500 mark.

Just because one could spend more doesn't mean I'll get that bang for the extra bucks used. You all are the best, and again, thanks for the help.

Although Psyoshi & Cretae, are you two vying to be the new DST4ME? You two seem to be answering a ton of questions, although you need to start endorsing ESET a bit more.   
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 3:36pm
Hahaha and it's our pleasure, I'vee just been going nuts waiting on my rig to usable.... Was late shipping it and then it arrived with a dead GPU and horribly bent CPU cooler... What do you mean by ESET though?

Edited by Psyoshi - 05 Feb 2019 at 3:36pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 12:44am
Originally posted by Psyoshi

What do you mean by ESET though?

Context: DST4ME was/is one of the most prolific posters here on the forums. He had an opinion on everything and was not afraid to let it be known. Just for giggles, take a look at bprat's post count... and then double it. That's how busy DST4ME keeps the forums.

And he leaves for extended periods of time and then comes back and starts all over.

ESET is/was one of his favorite recommendations for virus protection. He wrote at length on the subject.

Hope that clears it up.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 12:51am
He, DST4ME, was also the Stage 8 inspector LOL, had an incredible emogi library and was very very knowledgeable. AwesomeMiss him. Big%20Smile
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 6:04am
I knew who DST4ME was just not the ESET lol thank you for clearing that up though Snaike.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 6:40am
Originally posted by Uruvsuurt

Although Psyoshi & Cretae, are you two vying to be the new DST4ME? You two seem to be answering a ton of questions, although you need to start endorsing ESET a bit more.   

DST4ME

Honestly a legend, an inspiration.

He joined in 2008 and has been in and out as stated. Over 37000 posts. It is his doctrine of recommending the appropriate parts for the system's use at the optimal price/performance profile that I try my best to emulate.

I returned to the forums after a 7 year break in Oct 2017 to get some advice on my first new system since my original in 2010. He was here. Couldn't believe it. That, and the exemplary dedication from bprat and others has inspired me to become a regular myself again.

I played my first computer game in 1985. It was Starflight, an RPG featuring pixel sprites crewing a starship and a land rover. I was hooked. My passion for gaming has meant that I had to know something about gaming computers. My (age) means that I have experienced the amazing progress from pixels a half mm square to video quality graphics in real time. I do my best to bring that perspective to the discussion without being a total bore.

I know this is WAAAY to much information, but DST4ME is a unique character in my experience, and I don't mind at all embarrassing myself to say so.

BTW, ESET Antivirus and Internet Security Solutions is a great product. (Allegedly)

Edited by Cretae - 06 Feb 2019 at 6:43am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 6:49am
Strong  Just when you think that he's gone for good, he pops in, consumes the forums with his thousands of helpful posts, and then fades away for another period of time. 

Maybe be burns out, depletes his batteries and has to recharge before hitting it again.  Hahaha

Big%20Smile
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 6:53am
He is like Hanky the Christmass poo, he only shows up when needed.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 1:25pm
@Psyoshi: didn't mean anything, just looking at your join date and wanted to bring you up to date on MIA members.  Big%20Smile
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 2:04pm
I am glad to see that people got the DST4ME reference! I actually use ESET because of him, and even use the settings he posted a while ago....ha!

Looks like Alex rode in and just handed me the PC I wanted with the new Lynx ultimate model. Thanks again to everyone who chimed in or just read along.
 Post Reply Post Reply