FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Avon Laptop's GPU Is Complicated..

Post Date: 2021-04-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CFalcon075 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CFalcon075 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: The Avon Laptop's GPU Is Complicated..
    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 6:33pm
This is not going to look good for the DigitalStorm Avon laptop. I have emailed Alex about the TDP of the Avon and he told me that he didn't know. But the saving grace of another email from him had told me the base wattage of the laptop is 80W. Then the highest TDP is 105W.

The bad part is that I was going to buy the ultimate Avon laptop right? Well it costs me more than just $2,900.00. So then I stumbled upon the ******* Raider, it has A TDP OF 155W. This is not looking good since I wanted the DigitalStorm one and this sucks so much right now.

I was supposed to get one in the coming fall and I am a diehard DigitalStorm fan. I don't want to get a desktop since mine already broke down and I don't have the money to get it to be the ultimate one. We were going to sell it so we can buy the Avon laptop.

I know it sounds really weird for me to say all of this like for an example "Why would you buy a $7K laptop?" And yes, the laptop I am getting is $7,000.00 and I am not changing my mind from buying an expensive laptop from DigitalStorm like this.

The urgency of having the laptop to be the most ultimate laptop in the world is really high right now. Yet it seems like the *** laptop like reiterated has a total TDP of 155 watts. This means it is higher frames per second for the RTX 3080 Max-Q that the laptop has.

Again you can tell me all you want that I shouldn't be buying a lot of money for a expensive laptop like this. I am not going to budge since that is what I really wanted. But yeah you can check my specs down here.

My Laptop Config: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=3868121

Now this really should be a configuration discussion, but I don't want it to be since it isn't necessary to move it right now. Since I am only talking about the hardware of the Avon laptop and the ******* Raider. Since of this reason the ******* Raider would beat the Avon laptop and would make the owners of the Avon laptop feel bad if they went over the price of $2,900.00. It makes sense, but I just wanted to flex my build for right now above ^ because it is one hell of a build I got going on there.

It is a mix of gaming and a little workstation. I need to hear back from DigitalStorm ASAP, and will be calling the HQ to ask some questions since this is not going to go out right for me right now it seems.

I would like to hear back from you guys, just remember. I am not going to make changes on the laptop to make it less expensive, so that way I cannot get the most high-end gaming laptop from DigitalStorm.

This is something I truly wanted my dad to get me. Yet it would be a shame to go to *** since I know that DigitalStorm is more reliable than any other computer company I have came across.

Please let me know what you think, thank you.

UPDATE: Basically the competitor's computers name is censored, I cannot furthermore say what it is but they made a laptop that is 155W TDP. I still think I am kinda screwed until I get more info.
^This update is obvious.^
... Competitor's names removed ...

Edited by CFalcon075 - 27 Apr 2021 at 9:00am
Regards, CFalcon075.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 4:07am
Will it help to know Digital Storm does not manufacture their own laptops? They may make a few parts upgrades as ordered, but the unit is manufactured elsewhere. I've understood in the past they are made by Sager. so you relly need to compare who it is actually designing/making the two models.

IDK why you are spending so much just for storage, or why you think you need all of it to be beyond fast. NVMe speeds are great for OS operations and apps performance, but just swapping/loading games/files doesn't benefit much from all the money you're throwing at it. If you want to spend $2k to change a 9 second load time to a 5 second load time, maybe Dad should know that's what it's for.

Remember, DS reliability doesn't enter into it. They do not make the laptop. And a 1080p display is hardly "the most ultimate laptop in the world".

Quote CFalcon075 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Cretae

Will it help to know Digital Storm does not manufacture their own laptops? They may make a few parts upgrades as ordered, but the unit is manufactured elsewhere. I've understood in the past they are made by Sager. so you relly need to compare who it is actually designing/making the two models.

IDK why you are spending so much just for storage, or why you think you need all of it to be beyond fast. NVMe speeds are great for OS operations and apps performance, but just swapping/loading games/files doesn't benefit much from all the money you're throwing at it. If you want to spend $2k to change a 9 second load time to a 5 second load time, maybe Dad should know that's what it's for.

Remember, DS reliability doesn't enter into it. They do not make the laptop. And a 1080p display is hardly "the most ultimate laptop in the world".

That is correct. I know it isn't going to be the highest end laptop, but the honest reasoning for the very high capacious NVME SSDs are for a ton of Steam games.

Hard part about it is that I want to play a lot of Steam games I have in my library, and most of the games I need to download is 1TB and a few gigabytes over.

The 4TB NVME SSD would then still have enough space for just 3.4 Terabytes maybe. The other 8TB drive is because that would be for video editing of Sony Vegas Pro. Was making a VidLii channel which is a classic styled YouTube website and they have some people going there and making videos.

I need to have a lot of storage in order to do the things I need to do. There is a lot of downloaded media I have downloaded from YouTube to archive, there is a lot of games I remember I could play on Flashpoint which is made by BlueMaxima and it is every single old Flash game you could play but downloaded to your HDD.

It is 500GB or more for that. Like I said, I won't do anything about the price of the laptop since I think the laptop is fine itself. I think my build is really great in order to run a lot of programs and games I desire to run. It will work, so in this case it is going to be okay. I am sure DigitalStorm then can ask Sager if they can try to make a really high end GPU laptop that is pretty pricey.

I really enjoy DigitalStorm and what I think about the laptop being overpriced would benefit both DigitalStorm and Sager I suppose. It'd give them a good chunk of change, and I am still sure Sager makes the laptops really good. I will be happy with what I have then, the other good part is I got free unlimited DigitalStorm IT support so that's a plus.

Yet indeed I was saying it should be the ultimate laptop, I was fine with it being a 1080p monitor. I was being a little vague but really ultimate 1080p gameplay is what I wanted to say. I also forgot to mention I wanted to do virtual machines on the laptop, if that laptop even is compatible to do so. So yeah, I am interested in computers and so I just need a capacious and fast laptop for right now.

Edited by CFalcon075 - 27 Apr 2021 at 10:18am
Regards, CFalcon075.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 12:08pm
It's a tough struggle, gaming laptops are very competitive, designs have to be either slim or thick with high airflow. The laptops we offer are not deslgined for high airflow but instead a slim profile. Another way around it is to have very fast (loud) fans to dissipate heat quickly increasing the TDP range which our laptops don't do.

Quote CFalcon075 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Alex

It's a tough struggle, gaming laptops are very competitive, designs have to be either slim or thick with high airflow. The laptops we offer are not deslgined for high airflow but instead a slim profile. Another way around it is to have very fast (loud) fans to dissipate heat quickly increasing the TDP range which our laptops don't do.

Does this still guarantee that the Sager DigitalStorm laptops are still effective? Could you tell me more about the heat dissipation for laptops since I was going to buy a great laptop cooler with it. Do external laptop coolers make a difference for performance?

Please let me know, thanks.

Edited by CFalcon075 - 27 Apr 2021 at 1:22pm
Regards, CFalcon075.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by CFalcon075

...Hard part about it is that I want to play a lot of Steam games I have in my library, and most of the games I need to download is 1TB and a few gigabytes over.....

I really don't want to derail this conversation, but this part has me confused. According to Gamerant.com, as of 4/21/21, the largest filesize for any game is COD: Modern Warfare at 231Gb. As a matter of fact, in order to get to 1Tb of space you need to store the top 7 on this list. The largest 20 games will round out just under 2Tb.

Unless I'm completely missing your point, there is no game out there that needs 1Tb of storage.

I can understand needing huge amounts of storage for media but even with that I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want THAT much storage.

Again, my apologies for the derailment.

Quote CFalcon075 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Snaike

Originally posted by CFalcon075

...Hard part about it is that I want to play a lot of Steam games I have in my library, and most of the games I need to download is 1TB and a few gigabytes over.....

I really don't want to derail this conversation, but this part has me confused. According to Gamerant.com, as of 4/21/21, the largest filesize for any game is COD: Modern Warfare at 231Gb. As a matter of fact, in order to get to 1Tb of space you need to store the top 7 on this list. The largest 20 games will round out just under 2Tb.

Unless I'm completely missing your point, there is no game out there that needs 1Tb of storage.

I can understand needing huge amounts of storage for media but even with that I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want THAT much storage.

Again, my apologies for the derailment.

It is okay for derailment. Let me give you a clarification, I didn't say one game in my library that is 1TB. I have stated there is multiple games I wanna download that are 1TB and over. So I do need a really capacious and fast NVME SSD, that is why I have added in the 4TB Sabrent Rocket Q4. I also have stated that there is a Flashpoint nostalgic Flash game/animation archive application you can download and the one I am downloading is Flashpoint Ultimate.

Which that essentially is 500GB+ if I am correct.

The games I am talking about are on my Steam account and I have 311 games.

Edited by CFalcon075 - 27 Apr 2021 at 2:45pm
Regards, CFalcon075.
 Post Reply Post Reply