FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Ninja Killer... Revisited

Post Date: 2008-11-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
parallox View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote parallox Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: The Ninja Killer... Revisited
    Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 10:38am

You might have remembered my previous post about building an extremely silent but deadly system to kill the ninja threat, waiting to decapitate you with his ninja kitana by locating you by your PC fan noice. Star

Anyway, there is the new Core i7 architecture, and I am looking to buy.  Let me know what you think.  I am still unsure if water cooling is quieter than the larger slow fans that are available on todays market, but it seems that is what is being recommended to me if I want performance and quiet.  I don't overclock, so I think it may be overkill.  Anyway, let me know...

Ticket Number: 206914
Total Price with Instant Savings: $6,464.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=206914

Chassis: Digital Storm 950Si
Exterior Finish: - EXOTIC StormRed High-Gloss Automotive Paint Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 3.2GHz (Quad Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz OCZ (High-Performance)
Card Reader: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Hard Drive 1: 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive 2: 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (Extreme Speed)
Raid Option: Setup hard drive 1 and hard drive 2 in a Raid 0 Stripe Configuration (Expert)
Hard Drive 3: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Player & DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Media & Write DVDs)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Wireless Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB) (Includes PhysX Technology)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: Liquid Chilled FrostBite Dual Loop System for CPU & Dual Video Cards
Internal Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Red Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Modifications: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my processor
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

Remember, Guns don't kill people... Ninja's kill people. Star

Edited by parallox - 18 Nov 2008 at 10:50am
jtspectra2 View Drop Down

Quote jtspectra2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 10:45am
water cooling is definatly quieter. and its much more effeciant if you choose to OC your processor.

Liquid cooled GPU's isnt really needed, but if thats what your looking for , more power to you. it looks really cool.

the digital Media card reader from what i hear is hit or miss in terms of working properly. I don't suggest it, but again its up to you

Raid ? i'll never recommend it, since i'v had issues with it in the past, its all prefrence here. so if you like that , then ultimatly choose what you want.

i would also try to save some money on my OS. Home Premium is the same thing for 100 dollers cheaper.

blu ray? unless your gunna be using your computer as a home entertainment , why waste that money ? i have 3 reasons for you not to buy blueray for your pc. 1. games arent blu ray 2. games arent blu ray and 3. games arent blu ray.

again , like with everything else i suggest , its mearly a suggestion . go with what you like. its your PC, and your money . good luck man , and be sure to keep us updated Ermm
Q9650 @ 4.2Ghz( Liquid Cooled), 4GB 1600Mhz DDR3, GTX280 SLI, VRaptor,HAF 932
bradesco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bradesco Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 11:10am
First of all... Ninjas can't be killed.. Second, sweet rig ya got there. Have you used raid before? If not you arent going to get that much of a speed increase from it and its not easy to manage. I dont think anyone really recommends it. If you are getting LC why not get your CPU OCed? Might as well add in OCs for GPUs and memory too. And I agree with JT, go with Home Premium unless you want to connect to a domain because that is about all Ult is good for. I guess if you need to use the Business and the Premium OSs then Ult is the way to go but if not Home Premium should hold you down. Just my thoughts.
jtspectra2 View Drop Down

Quote jtspectra2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 11:34am
dont bother to OC your GPU's .  you can donwload a program called rivatuner or EVGA precision and do it yourself for free.
Q9650 @ 4.2Ghz( Liquid Cooled), 4GB 1600Mhz DDR3, GTX280 SLI, VRaptor,HAF 932
parallox View Drop Down

Quote parallox Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by jtspectra2

Raid ? i'll never recommend it, since i'v had issues with it in the past, its all prefrence here. so if you like that , then ultimatly choose what you want.

I have only had one PC setup with a raid, and I never had an issue with it and found it a huge speed advantage.  For example, I used to play a lot of Battlefield 2.  When maps would end and you load the next one, mine would load so much faster due to raid, that I would be able to spawn and grab the coveted helo before anyone else on the map did.  It was almost cheating!

Are raids really that unstable?  I have had an issue once where I had to format my system, but that was due to a bad memory module.  Basically everytime I patched the system, a bit here and there would get flipped and basically slowly corrupted my system to the point where it just wouldn't start anymore.  It was definately the memory because it failed to pass a RAM test program.  Granted I am running on XP, so I am not sure if maybe it is just a Vista thing or something.
Harry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 2:01pm
Not sure I understand why you would dual loop if your not going to OC?
Cool Master HAF 932
Core i7 965 DSO OC
Water cooled CPU
ASUS Rampage II Extreme
6 GB DDR3 1600 OCZ
1000 W Corsair HX
GTX 470
300 GB Raptor
tera 7200rpm
Windows 7
parallox View Drop Down

Quote parallox Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Harry

Not sure I understand why you would dual loop if your not going to OC?
Me either, it's just what the sales guy said worked best.  I am pretty sure I said I didn't want to overclock.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 3:13pm
you do understand that people with systems that cost 3000 less then yours will have a faster PC then you right?

why triple GPUs?

Edited by DST4ME - 18 Nov 2008 at 3:16pm
parallox View Drop Down

Quote parallox Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

you do understand that people with systems that cost 3000 less then yours will have a faster PC then you right?

why triple GPUs?

Ok, well enlighten me with a config then.  I am going for quiet and powerful, and people are telling me that means water cooling.

Who said I have tripple GPUs?  I only have 2x SLi in my config above.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 4:22pm
Who said you have triple GPUs? I tell you who, my whacked-out eyes thats who sorry about that

OK yes dual GPU, so that is good.

OK now for config, this will blow your system away:

here you go Ticket# 207412 --- Price: $6770 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis: Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 3.2GHz (Quad Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 2000MHz OCZ (Extreme-Performance)
Hard Drive 1: 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive 2: 500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Player & DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Media & Write DVDs)
Wireless Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB) (Includes PhysX Technology)
Extreme Cooling: Liquid Chilled FrostBite Dual Loop System for CPU & Dual Video Cards
Internal Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Red Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Boost Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: Yes, Overclock memory timings (Includes Memory Fan Kit Installed)
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor

your sytem was quiet but not deadly, now its deadly.

Edited by DST4ME - 18 Nov 2008 at 4:26pm
parallox View Drop Down

Quote parallox Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 8:28pm

OK now for config, this will blow your system away:

here you go Ticket# 207412 --- Price: $6770 (To see this build click here)

your sytem was quiet but not deadly, now its deadly.
Ok, so you have just a couple more tweeks, and your build is more expensive than mine.  I thought you were going to show me one that was less money, quieter and faster?

You seem really big on that particular case, any particular reason why the Cooler Master HFA 932 is better than the 950Si?  Is it quieter?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 8:59pm
HAF comes with more airflow stock, it has everything else other cases do, it costs less then other cases in its class, thats why I like it.

My tweaks my have been few but the difference is huge,

without my tweaks, your pc has a speed of 3.2GHz

with my tweaks, you pc has a speed of around 4.0GHz or higher

your are spending 6400 for a pc that is going to be slower then a $2000 pc?

btw something is wrong with my config link,cause its loading a different system, so I made another:

here you go Ticket# 207577 --- Price: $6613 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis: Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 2000MHz OCZ (Extreme-Performance)
Hard Drive 2: - No Thanks
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: Yes, Overclock memory timings (Includes Memory Fan Kit Installed)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

you are going to have a CPU with speeds of around 4.0GHz

you got 6GB DDR3 2000MHz ram

you get fan for the rams

all for $147 more, small tweaks yes, but big impact.

to be honest, if you really want to make it cost less, remove the bluray drive, in a few years there will be another format anyways.

But at the end ofcourse you need to get what makes you happy, I'm just trying to show you as many possibilities as I can, so you know as much as possible before you make your judgment.

so I hope I have been some help.

btw just few more things to take into account, for example ram speed and price difference, right now you have the fastest ram in my config, making your pc loaded with power, now lets look at the price difference with the same system but different speed ram:

Price of system with 6GB 2000MHz OCZ: $6613

Price of system with 6GB 1800MHz OCZ: $6148

Price of system with 6GB 1600MHz corsair: $5812

Price of system with 6GB 1333MHz OCZ: $5641

so there you go, you see the price difference, I gave you the highest ram cause you are spending highend money on a highend system, so I thought you might want the highend ram but if not you can see the price difference there.

Hope that helps

Edited by DST4ME - 18 Nov 2008 at 9:02pm
parallox View Drop Down

Quote parallox Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 9:56pm

your are spending 6400 for a pc that is going to be slower then a $2000 pc?

to be honest, if you really want to make it cost less, remove the bluray drive, in a few years there will be another format anyways.
btw just few more things to take into account, for example ram speed and price difference, right now you have the fastest ram in my config, making your pc loaded with power, now lets look at the price difference with the same system but different speed ram:

Price of system with 6GB 2000MHz OCZ: $6613

Price of system with 6GB 1800MHz OCZ: $6148

Price of system with 6GB 1600MHz corsair: $5812

Price of system with 6GB 1333MHz OCZ: $5641

so there you go, you see the price difference, I gave you the highest ram cause you are spending highend money on a highend system, so I thought you might want the highend ram but if not you can see the price difference there.

Hope that helps
Of course you help DST4ME, you rock! Ermm

But I am rather suprised you would say my build would be slower than a $2000 machine.  I don't think you can really build an affective Core i7 for that price, and even the slowest i7 is faster than just about any of the old stuff.  Unless I am missing something.

Ok, maybe I will skip the blue ray/HD DVD drive, it will probably drop within a year anyway, and I usually watch my HDTV DVR tuner on my LCD most of the time anyway.

Also, regarding the ram speed.  Isn't the speed of the RAM locked down by two factors, the board speed and the voltage of the slot?  I hear the X58 chipset had a voltage issue which keeps you from overclocking it very much if at all, hence why I didn't think ram above 1600 was worth it, but I could be wrong.  I'll have to clear that one up before I place my order.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 9:58pm
You can easily build a Core i7 pc for less than $2000. I even heard Dell is offering Core i7 machines for under $1000 =\
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 10:05pm
the ram limitation, skyR already addressed in a different thread:

Originally posted by skyR

1.65v is only a recommendation by Intel. No one listens to them anyways. The ASUS P6T and Rampage II Extreme has options up to 2.5v.

It's true that there is no point in going over 1333MHz DDR3 with a reference board but the P6T and Rampage II Extreme aren't reference boards. These two boards from ASUS can support DDR3 speeds up to 2200MHz =\

A 2000 machine OCed will have faster speed then a stock chip, thus being faster. Now if you OC your system, and with the 2000MHz ram, then you would have one of the fastest PCs around.
parallox View Drop Down

Quote parallox Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 7:31am

the ram limitation, skyR already addressed in a different thread:

Originally posted by skyR

1.65v is only a recommendation by Intel. No one listens to them anyways. The ASUS P6T and Rampage II Extreme has options up to 2.5v.

It's true that there is no point in going over 1333MHz DDR3 with a reference board but the P6T and Rampage II Extreme aren't reference boards. These two boards from ASUS can support DDR3 speeds up to 2200MHz =\

A 2000 machine OCed will have faster speed then a stock chip, thus being faster. Now if you OC your system, and with the 2000MHz ram, then you would have one of the fastest PCs around.
Not according to ASUS.  Here is the link to the board specs http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=179&l3=815&l4=0&model=2619&modelmenu=1

Acording to them, the max it will support it 1800 MHz.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 3:33pm
The motherboard itself has multipliers ranging from 6x to 16x.

Intel Core i7 only officially supports 800mhz and 1066mhz ddr3 but no one listens to the manufacturer anyways as everyone is obsessed with all these big numbers and overclocking.
bradesco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bradesco Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 3:42pm
So are you saying that 1600mhz memory is a waste of money or that 1066mhz is all that it "officially" supports and 1600mhz well be better?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 3:44pm
i7 officialy supports 1600MHz not sure about higher speeds
bradesco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bradesco Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 3:51pm
OK good, because I ordered 1600mhz
parallox View Drop Down

Quote parallox Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 3:52pm
All things considered regarding memory speed, I rather only OC it to the recommended levels and not beyond.  My current system had some bad memory in it, and that may have been partially related to it being clocked too high.  Memory errors are like giving your PC cancer, after a few windows updates and driver updates, it corrupt your system and it will die a slow painful death
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 3:56pm
Nope. This has been known and argued for a long time that Intel is only officially supporting 800/1066 ddr3.

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei7/specifications.htm

Just so you aren't confused. Officially supported means that the manufacturer has specified that the product supports these speeds and is guaranteed to work. It doesn't mean that higher speeds won't work.

Edited by skyR - 19 Nov 2008 at 3:57pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 3:57pm
parallox bad memory is simpley replaced, otherwise it corrupt data.

if you keep using teh bad ram your windows will not be able oporate soon enough from corruption, but that does not mean the pc is dead, all that pc would need is good sticks of ram and a windows repair from the cd and that pc is good to go.

get 1800MHz ram oced and you are within the limits of manufacturer.

notice in the pic it says 1800MHz OC

Post Reply Post Reply