Third DS PC in 10 years: build advice sought

Post Date: 2018-08-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Third DS PC in 10 years: build advice sought
    Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 5:52pm
Hi gents. I'm a long-time DS customer and it's that time; my trusty four year-old Slade must soon be put out to pasture. The GPU is struggling with the load placed on it and I'm experiencing too much hanging/crashing in resource-intensive games; I think my old GeForce 770 is failing and do not see the point of upgrading the GPU on this machine. I am not VR-ready and I'm running out of disk space. It’s time.

I guess this will be a long post but I hope you will indulge me, as DS has been my only destination for PCs for ten years now and these forums have always been invaluable to me in the past.

I think I might go with the penultimate Velox build here as the base.

I tend not to keep up with all developments in tech until I need to educate myself prior to buying a new PC so here are my questions:

Display: VR and Monitor

-      What might justify spending > $900 for two GPU cards vs. one? I note that even single-card builds are described by DS as “VR-ready”. And why is SLI an even more expensive upgrade (at ~ $1700+)? Is SLI only applicable to a setup with triple monitors?

-     What is the biggest single monitor (i.e. no triples) I could hope to run with (i) the default video card or (ii) a two-card upgrade that will provide uncompromised gaming performance?

-     What should I learn about recent monitor developments? I note that all the monitors listed under “Display” for this build are 144Hz Refresh and 1ms Response but I see no reference to 4K (I am not sure what 4K is, I’m afraid). Please bear in mind that while I want to be VR-capable for flight simming I am far from committed to VR and may well go with the best traditional single-monitor setup I can get (not really committed to the idea of triples either).

Optical drives

-     Did I misread the build details or does DS no longer offer built-in CD/DVD drives??

To overclock or not to overvlock?

-     I certainly trust DS to safely overclock my GPU and CPU but what is the current state of thought about these options?

Motherboard/Processor/System Memory/Power Supply & other upgrades

-     Are there any compelling reasons to upgrade any of these already high-end components? I will probably upgrade the PS, as I always have, to give myself lots of headroom. The default RAM will already be a jump from 16GB to 32GB for me. As for MB and processor upgrades, I just don’t know enough to be able to evaluate the pros and cons in anything but the most general terms (i.e. it will do the same thing but faster/better) or to make a value for money judgement so I would really appreciate some guidance. I’m not looking to throw a lot more money at an already expensive build but will certainly do so for cooling and fan enhancements as I am in southern CA.

Case

-     Does anyone know if the “window” in the case can be placed on either side and is there an option for this?

I guess that’s it. When I do my first run at this build after you guys advise me on some of the above general questions, I will post it in this forum for the kind of excellent pre-purchase advice on individual choices I have received for my last two DS rigs. Many thanks.

Edited by Bahger - 19 Aug 2018 at 7:00pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 1:27am
Hi Bahger
- no need to sli (Cretae will not believe I am saying this). You picked a 1050 card, Are you installing a better card  when you get the system? The new Nvidia cards are coming out any day now. Maybe you can wait and get an RTX 2080 or 2080TI. Otherwise the 1080Ti is way better.
- size of the monitor is not as important as the resolution, 1080 (not to be confused with the same number gpu), 1440 (2K) and 4K. For the higher resolution monitor (4K) you will need the top of the line gpu to be able to play games at higher refresh speeds. (1080Ti) Don't do or know anything about VR.
 -  you are correct, no more internal cd/dvd drives. You have to get an external one.
 -the knowledgeable members feel that as to overclocking there is no need to go beyond the stock turbo.
 -the mobo choice is really dependent on what your uses will be and I am not the best to explain the differences between them.
 - The window on the Velox is on the right side. If you want it on the left side you have to go with the Lumos case. No option.

Hope this keeps you until more info is provided by other members. Good luck. Big%20Smile

Edit: sorry for the brevity of explanations. I type very slowly with a lot of mistakes.Confused I'm more like Sgt. Joe Friday. LOL

Edited by hoserator - 20 Aug 2018 at 3:27am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 4:50am
Just to add to hoserator advice, I would normally recommend the 8700k cpu over the 7900x family. But, if this is for heavy flight sims with high population, clouds and busy civilian traffic, etc, the quad channel memory on the x299 chipset might be worth the extra money.    You could save a chunk of change and just get the 7800x, the added cores in the 7900 more for other applications.     

I would overclock the 7800x cpu to get the clock speeds up to 4.5 if possible.    We normally don’t recommend overclocking the 8700k but the 7800x might be worth it.

The 32 gab ram is also normally too much, but not for certain flight sim apps.

Change your primary drive to the 970 Pro.   It’s a NVME, pcie interface and many times faster than the SATA interface with DS drive.

I would also get the Corsair H110i to handle the heat from cpu overclock. It also has the Corsair 5 year warranty vs DS system warranty....1 year parts .

Unless you 4K monitor, a single graphics card is fine, especially if you wait for the new 2080.

Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 10:56am
bprat22, glad you are still here! As always, thanks for responding, thank you, too, hoserator.

I have incorporated all your suggestions into my build. The tradeoff between the cheaper CPU and the pricier GPU seems to make sense but I am curious to know if this move meets with general approval.

I intend to optimize this system for monitor output. I just can’t see myself tethered to a VR headset while having to peek around it to make keyboard and HOTAS inputs and I wear glasses. So…do you think the single (overclocked) 1080 can handle a 2560x1440, 31.5” monitor or should I be less ambitious here?

Edited by Bahger - 20 Aug 2018 at 10:59am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 11:43am
Size of the monitor doesn’t matter, just the resolution.

A single gtx 1080 should handle flight sims at 1440p even at a higher 144hz.   Can’t say all, but ones I’ve played are no issue with my 1440p 144hz.    Commercial sims like MS Flight Simulator can be demanding when all the traffic is turned on. Still think gtx 1080 will do it. If you can wait a few weeks, the new 2080 will be, supposedly, a 40% bump over the 1080.

I just hooked up my new TM Warthog HOTAS, with Trackir and will jump back into DCS A10 and F/A18 at some point.    Flight sims are usually a winter thing for me.   Don’t know why.

Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 12:54pm
I just got a notification from DS that the 2080 is now available. Not cheap...

Edited by Bahger - 20 Aug 2018 at 1:30pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 1:31pm
It’s on their Velox and the other builds as a Preorder, 9/20 availability.   

Yeah, the 2080 is $400 over the 1080.      

Edited by bprat22 - 20 Aug 2018 at 1:35pm
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by hoserator

- The window on the Velox is on the right side. If you want it on the left side you have to go with the Lumos case. No option.

Are you sure about this? I'd be happy if the window were on the right (although it's not a deal-breaker) but from all the photographs it looks like it's on the left...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 1:50pm
The Velox window is on the right, that’s why I went with Lumos with left window.   Right window also means inverted motherboard, with graphics card fan pointing up.

Comparing the new cards, I should’ve compared price of 2080 to 1080Ti.    $ 140 more for a 10% bump in performance.      Not bad.     

Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 2:22pm
Can you possibly elaborate on your recommendation to replace the default Intel Core i9-7900X (10-Core) 3.30GHz with the Intel Core i7-7800X (6-Core) 3.50GHz? I am not second-guessing you, in fact I very much welcome the savings, as it almost covers the bump for the 2080 GPU.

One more question, re Storage Set 2:

I'm intending to continue with my current MO, which is to use the SSD (M.2 512GB Samsung 970 PRO NVM Express) as a boot drive with the OS on it and an HHD (in my case the E: drive) for all games and all data. Is this still what most people do and, if so, what are the best high-performance HHDs on offer for this build? I would consider paying extra for a high-performance mechanical HD, given all the games it will need to run. I'd love to know what the current thinking is about this.

Edited by Bahger - 20 Aug 2018 at 2:34pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 2:34pm
You’re paying a lot of extra money for added cores you might never need for gaming by going 7900x.    Games use dual core , maybe a little more in certain cases.    10 core is more for productivity and other non gaming applications.

If you want HDD , I’ve always like the Western Digital Black for its known reliability and warranty coverage.

I personally went all solid state, the m.2 as primary and standard SSD, Samsung 860, for secondary.    I don’t need mega storage so going with a 500 GB SSD instead of a 2TB hdd wasn’t an issue.     HDD is still plenty fast for data, pics, less used games, etc.   

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 9:09am
Remember games creators want their market as large as possible. The CPU tends to not be fully or even optimally utilized so those with older gear can still run the latest games. Many of us are still doing fine with several year old 4 cores from olden days.

Video is a bit different, but not entirely. Many games are just not that video intensive, so they still sell. The creators understand that gamers are somewhat driven however, so they know we will often upgrade a GPU so we can play the latest at high settings.

The upshot is that, while we all want capable gear, on the CPU side you really don't have to go all in for gaming. Video is where the rubber hits the road, and we tend not to skimp depending on the screen resolution you're driving.

bprat has you well advised for your needs. As for the storage issue, I am using a Samsung M.2 for primary, and a WD Black for games and data. I'm going to upgrade soon to an SSD for the rest of my games library, but the WD Black in tandem with the M.2 NVMe is plenty quick I think.

If you need more info, c'mon back!

Edited by Cretae - 21 Aug 2018 at 9:10am
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 11:34am
This is really valuable intel for me, Cretae, many thanks.

Edited by Bahger - 21 Aug 2018 at 11:36am
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 1:04pm
Well, this build came together rather fast and I am sprinting down the home stretch. I am grateful for such invaluable help from the forum veterans who have shown up here.

I am curious what you think about the following remaining issues:

- Does it make sense to consider the highest available resolution on offer from the DS list of monitors in order to exploit the power of the mighty 2080 card? Most of these monitors (of varying size) are 1920 x 1080 but there are two monitors on this list that are 2560 x 1440. Should I be chasing highest possible resolution here, or are there reasons to settle for the more standard resolution of 1920 x 1080? I have room for a big monitor but how big is too big?

- DS is offering a GPU overclock as a free upgrade. Is there any reason either to o/c a 2080, or not to?

Edited by Bahger - 21 Aug 2018 at 1:05pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 8:45am
Overclocking a monster card won't yield anything you'd be able to see, but it would result in more heat from your card.

I think you may wish to compare monitors available from Amazon or Newegg. Look at the difference between a TN panel and an IPS panel, and I would recommend you look into Nvidia G-SYNC tech. There's really no point in investing that much in a video card for 1080p. It's a waste of power. A GTX 1070 would be fine for that. You can easily go 2560x1440,(1440p aka 2k) as large as you want.

Google the difference between TN and IPS and also look up G-SYNC and see what you think. Don't get confused with Free-Sync, that's AMD's tech. Not for Nvidia cards.
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 10:34am
This is hugely valuable information, Cretae, not least because it might save me a significant amount of money, so thank you.

In case it is of any benefit to others, here is the research I dug up on the topics you suggested:

TN vs IPS panels

Nvidia G-SYNCH tech

The largest monitor DS offers with this build is the MSI 31.5 inch AG32CQ Curved Series (Amazon page here) but that's not G-SYNCH enabled so not optimal with an Nvidia card. In fact the only non- MSI monitor listed is a 24" Asus. So, if I prioritise G-SYNCH (because I'm getting an Nvidia card) would this 2k monitor make sense? I am beginning to realise that 27" is the upper limit, especially for G-SYNCH enabled monitors, except for home-theater exotics that go for $900+, so I had better reconcile myself to that. If I am on solid ground with the above assumptions, would you recommend I downgrade my GPU to a 1070 or a 1080 for more headroom and should I o/c?

Apologies for this elaborate follow-up but your post was incredibly helpful. Quite obvious the monster 2080 would have been massive overkill for my purposes (although I want to find the best single-monitor setup) and I am very grateful for that.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 1:38pm
I definitely wouldn’t restrict myself to what DS offers for monitors.    Take Cretae’s advice and go to Amazon.   Better prices and a great selection. DS offerings are a nice convenience and good picks.

I picked up the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q, a 27” 1440p IPS at 165hz and GSync.     It is pricey but has it all.       

If that’s too pricey then you can save a lot with others picks.    Picking a monitor can be daunting.

IPS has the best color and saturation.

The 2080 won’t be overkill if you go 1440p, high refresh, etc.     one advantage of the new 2080 is its ray tracing in games.   It’s light reflections looks awesome.    You don’t need it for great gaming, but the demos look great.

Edited by bprat22 - 23 Aug 2018 at 1:39pm
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 2:00pm
Thank you. The 2080 is obviously the state-of-the-art but I might not be able to afford both a 1440p monitor and that card, so if I go for the high-res gaming monitor with all the bells and whistles, how much of a performance compromise would be the next card down and which card would you suggest if this were your choice?
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 2:13pm
Agree w/bprat22 and Cretae with regards to monitor selection. Amazon is where I go.

Have both the PG278QR and PG279Q (both 27", the "8" a TN and the "9" an IPS) and I like the IPS more. There are other very good larger (and curved) monitors but that size seems to be the sweet spot right now. Haven't heard too much raving about the 4K selection so...... Good luck. It's exciting.Big%20Smile

@bprat22: you have yours oc to the max? I don't oc mine and keep it at 144hz. Maybe that's why I loose so much gaming! LOL

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 2:15pm
My priority would be a good monitor even if you have to grow into it a bit later.    Not 4K, just a good 1440p. You don’t need to spend what I did on the ROG Swift.   Others 1440p, 144hz , with or without GSync are real good gaming.    GSync adds a lot of cost.   

I’m running a gtx 1080 and it works real nice.   The newer rtx2070, step down from 2080, supposedly is about 10% faster than my 1080, so should run great.

This ray tracing feature, if it’s all they say and show, is pretty tough on the video card.   But whether the feature is worth the extra money, I couldn’t say.     

Tough choices for sure, both the monitor and graphics card.    

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 2:17pm
Hey hose.... nope, still have it at 144hz. Haven’t really played with the settings much. Been too busy playing my games.      Plus, the older I get the more mellow I become. Or is it lazy?    

Hoserator....by the way, you’re the one I blame for spending so much on a monitor.   

Thank you.   Good pick.

Edited by bprat22 - 23 Aug 2018 at 2:20pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 2:37pm
Remember not all games are configured for ray tracing yet so.....
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 5:23pm
Thanks for sharing that research, and thanks for the kudos!

The monitor you picked is very nice, but as hoserator pointed out is the TN version. Also, as bprat mentioned, G-Sync does add a premium, and you could do without. You would need a GTX 1080 to perform well at 1440p, but that would be enough. bprat is very happy with that pairing as he said.

I also agree the best monitor you can go for is a great investment.
 Post Reply Post Reply