FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This a good gaming rig?

Post Date: 2009-11-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
adale View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote adale Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: This a good gaming rig?
    Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 1:31am
I bought this barebone kit on Tiger Direct today, for $760 with a $30 mail-in rebate
Parents said this was kinda alot of money, so sadly getting a DS computer wouldn't happen at the time

I shall list the specs and give a link, so tell me what you think and possible upgrades I can do in a year or so when I get a job (currently 15).

* Intel Desktop Board DP55WB Motherboard
* Intel Core i5 750 Processor (Includes CPU Fan)
* 4GB OCZ PC3-10666 Platinum Memory
* Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB Hard Drive
* XFX Radeon HD 4670 Video Card
* LG GH22NS50 22X DVDRW SATA Drive
* Ultra X-Blaster ATX Black Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side & Front I/O Ports
* Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply
* Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Operating System (OEM)

(The link if anyone wants to buy it also - Intel DP55WB Core i5 X-Blaster Barebone Kit - Intel DP55WB MOBO, Intel Core i5 750 CPU, 4GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, 1GB XFX Radeon HD 4670, DVDRW, ULTRA ATX Case & 650 Watt PSU at TigerDirect.com )

(I am aware that the motherboard doesnt have dual SLI as my cousin told me that before i ordered it. So the thought of upgrading to a dual SLI mobo when its cheaper crossed my mind, and then get a 2nd Radeon 4670 or a completely new card.)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 5:53am
unfortunately your parts will soon find out why things cost less then others.

that psu and some other parts are not gonna last too long and when they break you will have to pay for shipping back and forth for them to get fixed, all that will add up, also some of the parts have only a one year warranty.

anyways, you can't upgrade the cpu with the p55 platform, which means the only things you can upgrade is the video card adn you might even need to upgrade the psu to do that, and then as you mentioned you will have to upgrade the mobo.

by the time you are done doing all of this, you will have spend more then what you would have paid DS to build a proper PC with the right parts so all you need to do is just drop a second card in, and you would have had a faster pc, with much better airflow and temps.

I wish I could have talked to your parents, and show them that its was cheaper to get the pc from DS, if see the big picture.

anyways, now that is what you got, and all and all its not a bad pc, at least you still got a new quad core, 4GB of ram, I know plenty of people that would kill to be in shoes, so congrats and enjoy

btw I say go with the newer card, like the fermi or 5870, they are pretty much like having 2 of the current cards (4870, 275 gtx).

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Nov 2009 at 5:54am
adale View Drop Down

Quote adale Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 9:41am
Wow that sucks, thanks for telling me all this.
Its a must that my next PC is from DS, that should be in 2-3 years

Well until next time DS community when I have my own money.

In the end this is a great upgrade compared compared to my 5 year old Dell desktop and this compaq laptop
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 9:50am
Ya its definitely a great upgrade and you gonna love it I'm sure
 Post Reply Post Reply